• Your own idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Y

Yoyotown

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
What do you think will save the wii u?

I think if they make a few blockbuster games free and/or the virtual console free?
I know this will affect the sales of games,games won't sell but consoles will.

They already have a rewards system called Club Nintendo where some VC are free after getting a certain amount of coins you get from reviews. Having free games would hurt the developers and the big games are needed to get the most money for the ability of making more games because making the content/packaging costs money and sure stores might have Christmas deals however there is still a major profit at Christmas because it costs more than the price to make it. The holiday season just hasn't kicked in yet and that's when most people get their games for deals and that. Making game/system bundles also sell because they are collectable or they don't have a systems yet. The Wii U is a success with great games like SSB4, it just takes time for people to get them when they feel they can afford them/ lose interest in older consoles.

Making games free isn't going to solve the Wii U's issues and neither is cutting down the price.

Nintendo needs to advertise the Wii U as a successor to the original Wii and make creative use of the GamePad without having it feel tacked on. The only Nintendo game coming out soon that makes relevant use of the GamePad (at least that I can see) is Splatoon, and guess what. That's a new IP.

Nintendo doesn't make new IPs as often as they should, and that's a real shame. With Splatoon the developers are able to freely experiment with their own formula without having to look back on previous installments and make sure they're doing it right. Sadly, this is the case with almost every Nintendo franchise that's still around (as is the case with most franchises). It's the same basic concept and basic gameplay elements each time. Look at New Super Mario Bros. U - that's just a rehash of New Super Mario Bros. for the original DS (or you can go further and say it's a rehash of the Wii version, whatever floats your boat). Look at Super Mario 3D World - the average consumer buys a Nintendo console for an innovative Mario experience, and yet Super Mario 3D World is basically just an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS.

The name also isn't an issue with the Wii U - anyone that's actually interested in the console is going to at least Google it before going out and spending $300 on it. It's not like some old lady is going to walk into Walmart, see something she's never heard of and just buy it on a whim. The people that need to buy a Wii U KNOW what a Wii U is.

Although I do hate the name personally. Nintendo generally has really creative system names and console designs but this time it just seemed lazy. But I digress.

Also I'd just like to add, why the hell do people think Super Smash Bros. is going to sell a lot of Wii U systems? Because it seems to me the 3DS version is coming out sooner and so far has more features than the Wii U version. I hope I'm wrong on this, but Super Smash Bros. ISN'T going to save the Wii U.

Making games free isn't going to solve the Wii U's issues and neither is cutting down the price.
Nintendo needs to advertise the Wii U as a successor to the original Wii and make creative use of the GamePad without having it feel tacked on. The only Nintendo game coming out soon that makes relevant use of the GamePad (at least that I can see) is Splatoon, and guess what. That's a new IP.
Nintendo doesn't make new IPs as often as they should, and that's a real shame. With Splatoon the developers are able to freely experiment with their own formula without having to look back on previous installments and make sure they're doing it right. Sadly, this is the case with almost every Nintendo franchise that's still around (as is the case with most franchises). It's the same basic concept and basic gameplay elements each time. Look at New Super Mario Bros. U - that's just a rehash of New Super Mario Bros. for the original DS (or you can go further and say it's a rehash of the Wii version, whatever floats your boat). Look at Super Mario 3D World - the average consumer buys a Nintendo console for an innovative Mario experience, and yet Super Mario 3D World is basically just an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS.
The name also isn't an issue with the Wii U - anyone that's actually interested in the console is going to at least Google it before going out and spending $300 on it. It's not like some old lady is going to walk into Walmart, see something she's never heard of and just buy it on a whim. The people that need to buy a Wii U KNOW what a Wii U is.
Although I do hate the name personally. Nintendo generally has really creative system names and console designs but this time it just seemed lazy. But I digress.
Also I'd just like to add, why the hell do people think Super Smash Bros. is going to sell a lot of Wii U systems? Because it seems to me the 3DS version is coming out sooner and so far has more features than the Wii U version. I hope I'm wrong on this, but Super Smash Bros. ISN'T going to save the Wii U.
Sure creative games are great for making or testing new boundaries however new games aren't going to sell like the games that gamers know the most like Mario and Pokemon. You might think it's great so there will be more art in electronic arts however you are lucky to make some distance with new IPs. Maybe if there was more of the same IPs... Nope, just bundles with systems like SMB on the NES and Wii Sports on the Wii. Nintendo doesn't make new IPs because they know what sells. This is sort of what I said in my first post. However when and why they sell is also important (hence CN was made to gather these things).

Sure creative games are great for making or testing new boundaries however new games aren't going to sell like the games that gamers know the most like Mario and Pokemon. You might think it's great so there will be more art in electronic arts however you are lucky to make some distance with new IPs. Maybe if there was more of the same IPs... Nope, just bundles with systems like SMB on the NES and Wii Sports on the Wii. Nintendo doesn't make new IPs because they know what sells. This is sort of what I said in my first post. However when and why they sell is also important (hence CN was made to gather these things).

I'm just going to ignore this entire post except for this part :

Nintendo doesn't make new IPs because they know what sells.

Pokemon, Zelda and Mario sell. The rest are just moderate successes. The only reason people bought Super Mario 3D World was because they wanted to play Mario on their new Nintendo console, not because it looked like a fantastic game.

Likewise, Pokemon isn't exactly comparable. Each set of games is like it's own series with new characters, new Pokemon and new areas. That's why Pokemon sells. Because each time around, there's always something new.

The Wii u really isn't doing that badly! It has ranked up fairly well vs the Xbox one and ps4 and hinted o has released some quality games for it! Your idea really isn't that fantastic (sorry :/) I don't think it would help anything if Nintendo made more games free, that's why, instead, they have demos

Back