How would you define the difference between a beat-'em-up and a hack-and-slash?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Both are subgenres of actions games and I see both terms used quite often, but what's the difference? I usually refer to those kinds of games as beat-'em-ups but apparently they're two completely different subgenres. So what's the difference?

I've always considers hack-and-slashers to be more fast-paced than beat-'em-ups, I'd consider the Warriors series to be hack-and-slash but games like Diablo to be beat-'em-ups. Is there really a difference? If so, what would you consider to be elements of a hack-and-slash, and what would you consider elements of a beat-'em-up?

Reactions: phofufury
I actually think Diablo is a hack and slash. To me, RPGs like that (and pretty much most RPGs that are real time action) are hack and slashers. Beat em ups are more like side scrollers such as Streets of Rage and Battle Toads. Castle Crashers is another example.

Reactions: Mizunil
Beat 'em ups use your fists and weapons from the setting. Hack 'n' slashes use swords and other bladed weapons. Both genres typically have tons of enemies and both are around at the same time. I associate HNS with blood or maybe even explosions having to deal with a more child-friendly approach. Maybe slicing up but without blood. I find that the range of your attacks is usually a lot better than BEU mainly because you have more limited options to attack multiple characters for example throws. Final Fight is BEU. HNS games are like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Reactions: phofufury
Like the previous two comments, I find the main difference is in weaponry and graphics style. When I think of beat-'em-ups, I usually imagine a 2d side scroller-type game that involves fists. Although that's how I usually view it, it can use weapons/magic systems and doesn't have to be 2d as far as I know. But usually I think of fists, and tanky-type weapons like a bat.

Hack-and-slash games definitely are more fast-paced from what I've seen, the art-style / gameplay seems to be more versatile then a beat-em-up as well. Look at Age of Calamity and Diablo, very different gameplay but I'd consider both to be hack-and-slash.

Both genres are similar, and there's probably a real difference, but I'm not completely sure exactly what it is.

Hack and Slash: Swipe Swipe Slash Slash
Beat em' Up: Pew Pew Punch Punch

• Funny
Reactions: Mizunil
Back