How's Cave Story 3D

• Thread starter Doctor Strange
  • Start date
Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange

Master of the Mystic Arts
Towns Folk
I never played Cave Story yet, but the 3DS port looks like a 2.5D version of the original. So, without spoiling me, how's Cave Story and should I get it?

I had it but didn't beat it, personally I find the regular version off the eShop to be more enjoyable, but in case you'd rather go for the more expensive version just because, here's a list of the version differences:

http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Version_differences

Hope that helps.

But yeah, I'd recommend getting the regular Cave Story off the eShop. It's a fantastic game.

The regular (eShop) version is much more preferable and cheaper unless you can't stand retro visuals.

But what makes the regular version preferable? Better controls? Better looks? (I want this game too ;))

But what makes the regular version preferable? Better controls? Better looks? (I want this game too ;))
Much lower price, plus it's the original, single developer's hard work version which makes it better D: Some locations like the Wind Fortress are in the eShop one but not the 3D retail one, as are features such as the Jukebox.
The eShop version has a whole new alternative mode that the 3D retail one does not.
But most importantly, the regular version has an appeal to it that is lost in the 3D version. I can't explain it very well. Perhaps it's easier to appreciate when you think it was the hard work of just one genius developer instead of the whole team the 3D version obviously had. I think @dwikrid would have felt this too.

Much lower price, plus it's the original, single developer's hard work version which makes it better D: Some locations like the Wind Fortress are in the eShop one but not the 3D retail one, as are features such as the Jukebox.
The eShop version has a whole new alternative mode that the 3D retail one does not.
But most importantly, the regular version has an appeal to it that is lost in the 3D version. I can't explain it very well. Perhaps it's easier to appreciate when you think it was the hard work of just one genius developer instead of the whole team the 3D version obviously had. I think @dwikrid would have felt this too.
Then I know which one I'm buying :D

As I remember, Cave Story 3D cost $15 in eShop and the eShop version (entitled "Cave Story") is only $10. The first is remaked by NIS America, the latter is more original/retro version.

And yes, I vote for the standard/non-3D version.

Back