If money was abolished...

• Thread starter Lovebeat
  • Start date
Lovebeat

Lovebeat

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
If money was abolished what do you think would happen?

It's an interesting idea and I wonder if it would work. Humanity survived before money, so it might be possible to retrace our steps. Theoretically, ubuntu (the philosophy, not the OS) eliminates the need for it, but in practice, it doesn't work like that.

I think the world will pretty much fail/fall. Believe or not, money makes the world go around, as silly as that may sound. xD

I don't think we can survive without it, personally.

Reactions: xmenpkmntrainer
We'd probably adjust and find other ways of recognizing value and hopefully keep things fair.

Yeah, probably go back to trading goods for other goods.

We would just return to trading in livestock, services, or other hard goods... money in some form will always exist.

I can't imagine it imagining it to money, actually money will never be abolished. It just can't!

I do not think money (notes and coins) will ever go extinct. Even if it does, people will simply find alternatives.

I think we would "be sent back to the Stone Age" as no one would work or do anything since they won't get anything like money so no one would work, there would be no buildings, schools, computers and video games since no one would get paid

there would be no work unless they create another sort of way to pay

Either the whole world become primitive and everybody would fight to survive and fight to get homes and stuff, or people would just adapt to the conditions and change along.

Star Trek talked about the possibility of this happening in a futuristic setting. A cryogenically frozen Wall Street investor, after being woken up in the future during the times of Captain Picard, asked the question what happened to his investments. The crew replied money doesn't exist anymore with the replicator, whatever is wanted is just given, and now humanity has time to learn the arts, study, take up a hobby, explore the universe. Personally I hope this becomes the future even if it is science fiction.

There would always be a currency of sorts to ensure that everyone is doing their part in the world, if not, some people slack off, people can just fight over things and it becomes survival of the fittest. You don't need to know 1+1 if all you're doing is trying to physically compete for food, water and shelter. Also, no internet. People would need to keep the services running, but who would do that? We need a currency.

Back