Gen 1 Illegal (unusually high) level pokes?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
Ok hopefully im not breaking any rules here, but i heard of an exploit/glitch in gen 1 (maybe gen 2? Idk) that allows people to get pokes above lv. 100. Im not here to ask how to do this, dont worry. But id like to know how it affects your save if you should actually be lucky enough to even catch something so insanely OP (ive never done this, but i imagine the glitched mons in this scenario are just far too powerful to ever be defeated, idk though). I heard some talk about the game freezing up at some point if you do this glitch, but i cant remember at all, too long ago plus i forget things quickly anyways. So, is the glitch fairly safe like emerald duplication (when done right), or can it screw up your entire save for life? Again, im not asking how to do the glitch here, i just want to know if its fairly smooth or if it can prove fatal to your save file. Thanks.

Glitch is not game breaking from what I know. And you don't encounter them at level 100 either. You encounter them at Level 1 which is done by growling at a certain trainer's pokemon with a set Special stat that represents the class # of what you encounter. The encounters are normally Level 7, but by growling at it about 6 times will lower the level down to level 1. Then after catching the mon on Level 1, you have to get in battle and let it earn less than 54 Exp, this way it'll instantly level up to Level 100 and obey you without question. This glitch only works in Red, Blue, and Yellow. Hope this helped.

Reactions: randysilverwolf
Hmmm, i see.... I mustve misunderstood what i heard then. Thank you. Also i am glad to hear it is not game breaking, especially since this is an old gen game here. Ive known a lot of old games to have some game breaking glitches, whether encountered by accident or done purposely. I know there was a game breaking lumiose glitch in xy, which immediately struck me with worry upon receiving the news on the subject, but luckily i had the patch installed to fix it. Yeah, worried for nothing here hehehe^^ happens to everyone, i suppose!

Like N said, glitches of the levelling variety are benign (aka harmless) and won't do anything to your game. That being said you should make sure if you get around level 255-256 (Not sure which) that you don't go any further, as the game will wrap the Pokemon level back to 1.

In fact, Pokemon RB is actually pretty lenient in that there's nothing to make sure that the correct code is running. It doesn't matter what you do to the game when glitching, as long as it doesn't mess with something that can cause the game to crash (which levels wouldn't do) you can keep it running just fine.

Oh, i see... But what even causes the level to go so high? It seems pretty extreme, but im willing to listen to reason. I like talking about interesting things like this. =)

Oh, i see... But what even causes the level to go so high? It seems pretty extreme, but im willing to listen to reason. I like talking about interesting things like this. =)
Well the game displays that the amount of exp needed to get to level 2 is some huge number, like 3245967, but in reality it's Negative 54. So by earning less than 54 exp in battle, you basically trick the game into thinking you already levelled up, and it actually computes the giant number shown above into how much exp you gained, which in turn takes you to level 100 in one go.

Hmmm, that makes more sense. Did this work in the virtual console releases of red and blue?

Hmmm, that makes more sense. Did this work in the virtual console releases of red and blue?
Yup. Did it myself on yellow.

Oh, i see....i saw some other glitches/exploits on youtube that were done on either red or blue, such as the rare candy glitch with missingno on cinnabar and the old man etc, are the glitches for red and blue universal with yellow as well? Just curious.

Oh, i see....i saw some other glitches/exploits on youtube that were done on either red or blue, such as the rare candy glitch with missingno on cinnabar and the old man etc, are the glitches for red and blue universal with yellow as well? Just curious.
They use pretty much the same code to run the game, so yea it's possible. The only real difference in coding between Red and Blue and Yellow is that Yellow codes Pikachu to follow you when it's not fainted and swapping the color palletes based on where you're located, so the glitches done on Red and Blue can also be done in Yellow

Ok, thank you. I saw comments on youtube of people having trouble with these glitches on yellow, so i was skeptical, especially since ive never tried them myself (yet). It just seemed strange. Idk, maybe they were trolling or not doing it right. So thank you for addressing that. =)

Back