I'm getting a little annoyed with Akame ga Kill (Spoilers)

• Thread starter Ashkil
  • Start date
Ashkil

Ashkil

Space Cowboy
Towns Folk
First off, massive SPOILERS to anyone who hasn't watched the latest few episodes. If you're up to date with the anime then read on.

The anime is killing off characters too quickly and too much. And worst of all the characters are the best ones. Of course every character in the show (except Seryu) is pretty damn awesome, but when you kill them off an episode or two after they've been introduced, it loses the impact and more than anything it's plain annoying. I loved Bulat, Chelsea was awesome, Bols was an incredible character and one by one they're picked off without any meaningful backstory or character exploration. They don't even stick around long enough to actually do much, they just die.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind deaths at all. I actually liked the deaths in Attack on Titan and the deaths in Game of Thrones actually emotionally affect me. I was nearly in tears when both Oberyn and Ned died, and that shows how to do deaths well. They were both excellent characters with fleshed out development and exciting back stories. Their deaths were unexpected and impactful. The deaths in Akame ga Kill are becoming commonplace enough that you actually expect it, making it lose even more feeling.

I know I sort of ranted here, and Akame ga Kill is an excellent anime, especially during some of the faster paced scenes and battles, but I have to say I'm getting more and more disappointed by it with every episode.

I sort of agree. Then again they're trying to fit everything in 20-something episodes, :panda:

I don't mind if they're newly introduced, as long as they include their past in an episode, I'll be happy. My major concern is making the deaths surprising. Bulat's death wasn't really surprising after we learned that main characters can be killed off when Sheele died. I felt something when Chelsea died (because I liked her and they did include some of her past) but for some reason it wasn't enough. I think it's because they made it a tiny bit obvious that she couldn't kill Kurome :/

They did Bols pretty good imo. We know he has a family and stuff, and I actually felt bad when Chelsea killed him.

Reactions: Ashkil
Yeah, a lot of the suspense was lost, because it's pretty obvious that Kurome is protected by plot armour at this point. She even has a major part in the opening and closing sequences, it's pretty clear she's going to have a face off with Akame at some point. It really was a pity, Chelsea was a great character but I felt they sort of scraped out the bucket with her past. It was a little too cliched I guess, not much feeling unlike Bulat or Akame or even Sheele.

As for Bols, I really felt bad just because he was such a great character. They didn't even show his face! Why was he so afraid to show it?!? And now we'll never see it at all. That act is practically unforgiveable to me

Yeah, a lot of the suspense was lost, because it's pretty obvious that Kurome is protected by plot armour at this point. She even has a major part in the opening and closing sequences, it's pretty clear she's going to have a face off with Akame at some point. It really was a pity, Chelsea was a great character but I felt they sort of scraped out the bucket with her past. It was a little too cliched I guess, not much feeling unlike Bulat or Akame or even Sheele.

As for Bols, I really felt bad just because he was such a great character. They didn't even show his face! Why was he so afraid to show it?!? And now we'll never see it at all. That act is practically unforgiveable to me
It's probably in the manga at some point.

As a counterbalance of sorts: Short-term characters (such as Sheele, Bols, and Bulat) are the ones being killed. You can tell them apart, at this point in the anime (not considering the manga, which I've not read), by the fact their characters are relatively flat, even if they may be dynamic: Bulat's gayness and badassery, Sheele's feelings of only being useful to kill, Bols' spectre of guilt hanging above him and forcing him to try his best to be nice, and now the last ep where the pervy otaku stereotype dies.

This is contrasted to Mine, Tatsumi, Leone (She hasn't been well-introduced but seems to be plot-armored as the intelligence-gatherer of Night Raid for now, and she has no true "defining traits".), Akame (Her only "flat" elements are the little jokes they attach to make everyone know Kurome is her sister, like the snack obsession and unique looks they make.), Najenda (as the leader), and their counterparts in the Jaegers.

Last edited:
Back