I'm playin' Earthbound, baby! :D

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
Hey, guys!

So, for today, I was wondering what to post for today (trying to rack up enough play coins for SSB4), when I said "You know what, let's talk Earthbound!".

Earthbound is a game I just started playing. I had heard so much about it, that I wanted to give it a shot and see what all the fame is about. Boy, was I blown away! I love it so much, and I haven't even beaten the first "Your sanctuary" spot yet!

It is really cool, and yet very simple.

Now, I wanted to post about this because of what happened today. I had language arts today, and I had to fill in this "Hero's Quest" circle. it went something like this.

Hero's Circle (in clock terms):
12. Status Quo
1. Call of Duty
2. Assistance
3. Departure
4. Trials
5. Approach
6. Crisis
7. Treasure
8. Result
9. Return
10. New Life
11. Resolution
12. Status Quo+

After studying this, we went on to fill in the circle with examples from other things. I didn't want to do a movie, because everyone else was doing it. So, I decided to do something new: a video game. And what game did I cover? Earthbound. Or, at least the first 'quest' on stopping the sharks from the Arcade. Here's what I did:

12. Status Quo (Ness needs to go on an adventure)
1. Call of Duty (Ness hears about a local gang taking over an Arcade)
2. Assistance (Ness buys a Tee Ball bat from the Drug store)
3. Departure (Ness heads to the town of Onett)
4. Trials (Ness has to defeat members of the gang)
5. Approach (Ness confronts the Leader and his Robot)
6. Crisis (Ness gets mortally wounded with knives)
7. Treasure (Ness defeats the gang and takes the Arcade back)
8. Result (Ness has grown stronger)
9. Return (Ness goes back to his house)
10. New Life (Ness eats some Taco (that's what I put in for favorite food), and goes to bed)
11. Resolution (Ness went on an adventure!)
12. Status Quo+ (Time to go on another one!)

As you can see, I made some mistakes with the chart, but hey, my teacher doesn't know what Earthbound is, so I can get away with it.

Well, see ya!

Last edited:
i bought this game for my n3dsxl. I had forgot i had it and started playing it. I was looking for mother but it was not at the eshop at the time. Maybe i will pick this game up again. when i stop playing the current one in my ds

Reactions: Aura Knight
EYY tacos are what I put in too!
I mean *ahem* I love this game, and after you beat it you should play Mother 3 (it was only released in Japan but hopefully it'll legitimately come someday ;-; )

Reactions: Aura Knight
I've already found a fan translation of Mother 3, so I plan 0n playing it after Earthbound.

P.S. Just cleared Moonside/Fourside. Going to Winters for the next location.

Reactions: Skyshaymin
Here's a funny little story; today I had my Digital Photography class, and we had to take portraits of each other. I was taking the portrait of my partner and I said "say 'fuzzy pickles!'".

That felt weird.

It's alright, though. She got me back by taking my portrait.

Cool. That game actually looks super good but i haven't gotten around to playing it yet. What do you think of it? (without spoilers please)

Cool. That game actually looks super good but i haven't gotten around to playing it yet. What do you think of it? (without spoilers please)
Very good game you definitely should play.

I think it's pretty cool! What really strikes my fancy has to be the rolling HP counter and how battles work if you can OHKO the enemy.

First, the counter. I grew up used to the fact that if I took a hit, it would immediately count towards the health, but in this game, if I had 100 hp and was dealt 25 hp in damage, it wouldn't go to 75 instantly, but it would roll down. This has saved my characters many times.

Then, there's the enemy encounter system. First, you can see enemies in the overworld, which is a nice feature, but if you can defeat an enemy in one hit, the game will just skip the battle and award you the spoils.

All in all, I think it's fantastic, and Mother 3 looks good as well.

Back