Immortality - would you want to live forever?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date

Would you want to live forever?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Immortality is an interesting subject. The ability to live without death, immunity to both natural causes and inflicted wounds, existing until the end of time... would you want to live forever?

On one hand, you will no longer have to fear death; on the other, you will be forced to watch all you know and love die around you. This ability offers great power but the catch may be more than some can take. For you, would you desire to become immortal, if given the chance? Or would this catch be too much for you, preferring to instead live a lifespan like any other?

Reactions: Jisenku, Mizunil and phofufury
I wouldn't want immortality. I think that having to live until forever would eventually drive you crazy in most cases. Yeah you may technically obtain power, but the cons you'd face would heavily outweigh the pros over time.

Reactions: Jisenku and phofufury
This is an interesting subject, and quite complicated. There is the subject life after death, and in that case you will be living forever, but I feel like this would be more on the Immortality on Earth side.

In this case, I have a mixed answer. Part of me would find it interesting to see Earth change after thousands of years, but another part of me would not want to see everyone I love die and be gone forever, while I am living here forever. I would also grow tired and depressed of all the hatred that would most likely continue and possibly become worse after thousands of years.

In this case, my answer would be no. I would not want to live forever. But again, I am somewhat complicated. I also do not want to grow old and die, that honestly scares me. However, I would be satisfied leaving something good behind. Maybe more peace around the world. Maybe an answer to a hard question. Maybe a happy family.

This may sound cheesy, but to be mortal is kind of a blessing. It gives you something to look back on, to see what you have accomplished.

Reactions: Jisenku and Mizunil
If it would be painful then no. If it wouldn't then yes. When I mean painful I also mean to not really age either as that would ruin the whole experience really fast. If I did have immortality I would be able to experience more than anyone else and more than any 1 life and I could get to help people out. But it would make me question my sanity and nothing else. Then again if I had that power it would be like I didn't make a difference and most everything would move on it's own regardless. Nah I think that power should be reserved for actually valuable religious real estate.

I'll be able to travel to space and explore other planets with little risk, so of course it's a yes.

Imagine taking a selfie on the diamond planet. Plus it'll help further improve our knowledge and science.

But I'll likely be captured by the government to go through painful experiments so they can see how immortality works and if they'll be able to reproduce it for their own benefit.

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze, Jisenku, Agentperson and 1 other person
Yes. I'm pretty sure that human will keep developing new things so that I won't really get bored even after 1000s of years. And as artisan said, it's not worth it if the aging process isn't halted. And the government could try and perform experiments, but i'll just try to avoid them. It's not like they have any leverage over me.

Yes. I'm pretty sure that human will keep developing new things so that I won't really get bored even after 1000s of years.
Yea but what happens when humans go extinct?
And the government could try and perform experiments, but i'll just try to avoid them. It's not like they have any leverage over me.
How easy do you think it is to avoid the government if they're serious about searching for you and you're in their country?

There are a lot of unknowns here. Who’s giving me the immortality? How do they have this power? Can they grant immortality to my family as well? Can I get the power to grant immortality to others?

If I can make whoever I want immortal too, like a vampire, I’m on board completely. Otherwise, I really can’t say what I’d decide for sure. I don’t see why I’d be the only one capable of being given immortality though.

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze and Jisenku
Yea but what happens when humans go extinct?

How easy do you think it is to avoid the government if they're serious about searching for you and you're in their country?
Well since i’m immoral and can’t die, I would just go to some place where the government cant reach me easily. Like underwater. If jm truly immortal, lack of oxygen wont kill me. And I could swim across the entire ocean cuz I cant die from hunger or over exhaustion either. Basically they can find me easily but I can escape because I would have tons of capabilities.

Reactions: phofufury
If captain jack harkness has taught me anything, immortality is a major curse with a slight blessing. You suffer far, FAR more than a normal person. You're not immune to pain, suffering, mortal issues. You watch loved ones die, all of your family passing you by. People will hunt you to study you. You are ultimately alone in the world.

But it would be cool to see how the world progresses, how technology evolves. Could use the immortality for good, going into painful/dangerous situations so mortals don't have to sacrifice their lives for it.

Idk, going around being a floaty immortal trenchcoat sounds pretty fun at first, but idk about forever.

Reactions: Jisenku, Duffy and Mizunil
I have literally no idea why, but the first thing I thought was to spend hours upon hours of working at jobs and whatnot, getting paid a bunch of money, then being able to go into long stints of pure relaxation before working a bunch again, and I feel like if I was immortal that would be something that I could easily do. If there is no pain to immortality, I would definitely want to jump into a volcano, obviously!

Yeah, sure. Don't right fancy dying. And if you say no to it, I have a strong feeling you'd change your mind in an instant if the offer was actually made to you in reality. It's all good and well saying you don't fear death until you actually come face to face with it.

Uhhh... Guess I'm the odd one out, you all are much more imaginative than I am. My answer is no because I'd definitely get bored lol...

Some of you are probably judging me because boredom is a common sensation, but do all of you know what it's like to be truly and thoroughly exhausted with all forms of interactions? If you get that or think you do imagine that on a scale that'd last forever and that'd be me. I can say it plainly, I'd rather be dead. Living without interest is basically the same thing anyway.

And this is where I get banned lol

Reactions: Mizunil
  • Funny
Reactions: Artisan, Mizunil and Mr. Kream
Nah I'm good with staying mortal. As well as everyone you know dying every couple of decades, you'd also have to consider languages. There'll be a point where a future person's English (for example) will be barely legible to us (compare Old English with 21st Century English). And then there's culture and fashion to think about and immortality just becomes a headache imo.

Back