Infinite 1-Up glitch found in Super Mario Bros. 30 years later.

• Thread starter Goten4
  • Start date
I haven't tried executing it but I know how it works. Get enough jumps on the Koopa in the corner and get all the 1ups you want until you reach 128. But you said infinite!?! This is an outrage how come no one has ever discovered this until now? I'll tell you it's because no one plays 2 player with the SMBDX Buzzy Beetle bonus. Good to know anyway.

The only way to get infinite lives in a NES game is to have a negative value. Since they coded the case only if the lives are equal to 0, then, find a way to go to the negative values and enjoy. As long as your lives, however, are positive, they aren't really infinite.

So, the guy went into the negative values. That's it.

I'm still surprised that it took them that long to find this out.
(A bit of programming makes you know everything about the games ;))

Reactions: 18
This is just rubbing salt into my wounds. Why wasn't this discovered when I was stuck in that nightmarish 5-8 level? :cry:

I remember doing this one as a kids, everyone knew about this 1-up glitch.

yep i do/did that also there is another one when there are 2 unbreakable bricks and you put a shell there. btw this glitch also works in nsmbds.

wow, that's impressive if you manage to pull this one off. 30 years later though? took them long enough, though. xD

I knew about this. It's more interesting than the well known method. It seems hard though.

yep i do/did that also there is another one when there are 2 unbreakable bricks and you put a shell there. btw this glitch also works in nsmbds.
Its not a glitch anymore...its been kept in every single game since then except for the regular 64 styled 3D games.

You can do this trick in 3d world just go to level 1-2 ign has a video on it.

Yeah the shell glitch has been around for a long time. I think Nintendo keeps it in their new games just for some extra publicity and advertisement.

Wow after 30 years? o_O But now I have the song stuck in my head :(. I do this all the time in the newer games like 3d land but I felt I didn't need them because the games were just so easy :/

Back