Insane Pokemon Villains: Lusanmine vs. Ghetsis

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
Ok, i didn't really give this much in depth thought until recently but i had an interesting question come to mind yesterday evening: who is more insane between Lusamine (from sun/moon) and Ghetsis (from BW/BW2)? Now this is where speculation became a bit expensive for me. I personally feel Lusamine and Ghetsis are the most insane pokemon villains so far. Ghetsis because he is selfish, manipulative and what i like to call an ego know-it-all; he thinks he is always right and completely perfect without any thought and uses others at their expense and his benefit in an attempt to take over the world using Reshiram/ Zekrom/ Kyurem (my personal favorites in terms of legendaries); only thinks of himself and what he wants while disregarding everyone and everything else.

Lusamine also lost her head. She was overly obsessed with catching the Ultra Beasts and using Cosmog to open the wormhole without even thinking about how it would affect the poor little guy (Cosmog is too cute for words in my opinion!), got mad at her kids for running off with Cosmog and Type: Null (without even thinking about why they did this, for those who were confused they are Lillie and Gladion). Then much later she got stuck in Ultra Space and when confronted by Lillie wanted to live there, only surrounded by the things she loves (thinking all that mattered was the 'love' between her and the Nihilego), spewing distaste for her own two children, etc... Like Ghetsis though, she thought only of herself. However: she wasn't going on a rampage without any thought in a way that Ghetsis did with Team Plasma and the Neo Team Plasma (BW2)---unlike Ghetsis, i personally believe Lusamine was upset because Lillie and Gladion turned against her and having their father disappear through the Ultra Space obviously only put more hurt on her. So, in order to deal with all of this, she 'put them down' in an attempt to absolve herself of her hurt and sorrow and covered up her feelings by letting the UBs run around Alola and then openly locking herself in Ultra Space, talking about the UBs as though they were her own children, and most likely did all of this attempting to get their father back since day one so to speak.

In closing, i do agree both of them were mad beyond words, but i think Lusamine is probably the one with any human emotions between the two. Ghetsis had no morals in the end, but Lusamine regained her senses in the end after Lunala/ Solgaleo defeated the Nihilego that possessed her and helped everyone safely escape. Both of them obviously needed help, but in short I personally feel Lusamine was sad and went insane trying to cover up her sorrow whereas Ghetsis never seemed to have any real feelings except getting mad at N for not doing what he wanted him to. But despite that, he continued his rampage in BW2 and still thought only of himself.

Just thought this might be an interesting topic so thats why i wrote this. If anyone has any thoughts on this i would love to hear them! ;D

Lusamine's pain of losing Mohn may have been a part of her downward spiral, but another was that Nihilego had poisoned her prior to her first visit through the Ultraspace. (Those who come into contact with a Nihilego become violent due to the toxins it injects onto its hosts.) Lusamine was pursuing particularly Nihilego because of its will over her. One could guess she was being manipulated in part by Nihilego. Lusamine could be seen as an addict. She sought Nihilego to take her mind off of parental responsibilities, grief, and general stress. Also her motivation to move out from the planet earth.

(I don't know exactly the plot of Black/White,)
Ghetsis could just be a manipulative person in general, who may have always been that way.
(Who names their kid Natural Harmonia Gropius unless he has plans for him?) Unfortunately doesn't reconcile with his son N... Lusamine does try to attend your celebration however. (And even travels with Lillie to Kanto for help.)

Last edited:
I think you're forgetting a villain from generation 4, Cyrus. From what I remember from the story he wanted to reform the world into his ideal world devoid of Pokemon and possibly people to re make the world as "perfect" for himself.. Cyrus also lacked human emotions, something Lusamine had too much of or an exaggeration of. In Sunyshore city an old woman tells you (post game or post Mascot Pokemon event) of an odd boy who preferred the company of machines to people or Pokemon, referring to Cyrus.

Cyrus does indeed have mechanical know how as he built the device used to force out the Red Gems of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf to create the Red Chain needed to control Dialga or Pakia. Cyrus acted out of greed of power and had depraved indifference to the suffering of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf (and all other living things) as they were in great pain in the device he built, so much pain that even Cyrus' admins Jupiter and Saturn felt sickened by his actions.

In the Platinum version Cyrus is sucked into Giratina's realm/dimension as a form of punishment and or protection of the the world. In the alternate reality of Giratina's world everything is topsy turvy and physics have little to no meaning (i.e. waterfall flowing up rather than down). Whether of not Cyrus ever escapes or even wants to for that matter is immaterial, he's a real meany and seems to be trapped in his own personal hell (or maybe heaven?) devoid of all things natural.

In contrast to Lusamine who does have human emotions, only driven by grief descending to insanity due to the loss of her husband and "betrayal" of her children. Although Lusamine is the one who really betrayed her children by seeking revenge on the Ultra Beats and creating Type: Null and harming adorable Nebby. Revenge I mean by forcing the Ultra Beasts into the world which causes them pain and distress. Lusamine's "love" of the Ultra Beasts is literally killing them and she's loving them to death. Lusamine tragically consumed by grief and insanity are real emotions of which Cyrus has no understanding of. So rather than Lusamine being a second contender for top Pokemon villain, I would put Ghetsis as No. 1 and Cyrus as a very close No.2. Lusamine in my book although crazy she had a legitimate reason driving her insanity, grief and deserves a distant No. 3 place on the Pokemon Villain Roster, in my opinion.

Reactions: Kadaj
I think you're forgetting a villain from generation 4, Cyrus. From what I remember from the story he wanted to reform the world into his ideal world devoid of Pokemon and possibly people to re make the world as "perfect" for himself.. Cyrus also lacked human emotions, something Lusamine had too much of or an exaggeration of. In Sunyshore city an old woman tells you (post game or post Mascot Pokemon event) of an odd boy who preferred the company of machines to people or Pokemon, referring to Cyrus.

Cyrus does indeed have mechanical know how as he built the device used to force out the Red Gems of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf to create the Red Chain needed to control Dialga or Pakia. Cyrus acted out of greed of power and had depraved indifference to the suffering of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf (and all other living things) as they were in great pain in the device he built, so much pain that even Cyrus' admins Jupiter and Saturn felt sickened by his actions.

In the Platinum version Cyrus is sucked into Giratina's realm/dimension as a form of punishment and or protection of the the world. In the alternate reality of Giratina's world everything is topsy turvy and physics have little to no meaning (i.e. waterfall flowing up rather than down). Whether of not Cyrus ever escapes or even wants to for that matter is immaterial, he's a real meany and seems to be trapped in his own personal hell (or maybe heaven?) devoid of all things natural.

In contrast to Lusamine who does have human emotions, only driven by grief descending to insanity due to the loss of her husband and "betrayal" of her children. Although Lusamine is the one who really betrayed her children by seeking revenge on the Ultra Beats and creating Type: Null and harming adorable Nebby. Revenge I mean by forcing the Ultra Beasts into the world which causes them pain and distress. Lusamine's "love" of the Ultra Beasts is literally killing them and she's loving them to death. Lusamine tragically consumed by grief and insanity are real emotions of which Cyrus has no understanding of. So rather than Lusamine being a second contender for top Pokemon villain, I would put Ghetsis as No. 1 and Cyrus as a very close No.2. Lusamine in my book although crazy she had a legitimate reason driving her insanity, grief and deserves a distant No. 3 place on the Pokemon Villain Roster, in my opinion.

Yes thanks for mentioning that. I did forget about Cyrus (mainly because i haven't played gen 4 in what feels like forever), i do agree that he was totally devoid of any emotion at all based on what you wrote (which did surface some memory of the game for me but i can't say much since its been too long). I need to play diamond again to remember everything that happened better lol.

I still would put ghetsis as no. 1 in terms of insanity though, and Cyrus no. 2 at this point. Ghetsis is so insane i sometimes dont know what to say about him, i played gen 5 several times and still cant find anything to say about him except wow, just wow. I could still see myself reacting that way even though ive played a bunch lol. To be honest though i actually felt bad for lusamine in the long run, unlike the other two she felt bad about her mistakes in the end.

Back