Final Fantasy is a FF8 speedrun possible? final boss seems a bit... much for this (possible spoilers)

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
i can get through most of this in about 10-15 hours as far as a speedrun goes, and i can see how most of the game would be possible for a speedrun EXCEPT for the last boss.

one big obstacle i see trying to fully speedrun this is stuff like surviving shockwave pulsar in Ultimecia phase 2. this is inevitable even if you ultra hardcore damage cap her here (she either does it if shes low on health or when she takes a hit that empties her health, as far as i know this cannot be bypassed unless your spirit is somwhow high enough on a speedrun, its easy on a mid level or low level non speedrun playthrough tho). phase 3 the only thing youve gotta worry about is getting your spells/ stats taken (like all of it past phase 1 as far as i know), and phase 4 is worst of all because of judgement (any hits after this is death) and apocalypse is worse tbh, you can easily get wiped by this if you didnt farm your magics well enough before getting there. this is where im honestly stumped on how a speedrun would be doable. because unless your junctions and magics are good enough she is going to annihilate you big time.

now i have played through a number of times but i also dont know where all of the drawing points in the game are (notably hidden ones, ive only found two of these by coincidence) and im assuming speedrunners take advantage of these especially later on since theyre better for the most part. as far as i know the ons in the caslte do not refill but correct me if im wrong. anyone have an explanation of how speedrunners handle her at the end?

well, take a look, runs are on here (currently only 2 for HD PC, none for HD console atm. Many for the original version though) https://www.speedrun.com/ff8

There's also a few guides on there and such which could explain how to do it, I do see a couple guides specifically on the final fight. I also wanna point out your thing of

i can get through most of this in about 10-15 hours as far as a speedrun goes, and i can see how most of the game would be possible for a speedrun EXCEPT for the last boss.

Anything is a speedrun if you want it to be :p Just because one thing is slow to do doesn't mean it's not "speedrunable".

Reactions: TerraKnight and Kadaj
well, take a look, runs are on here (currently only 2 for HD PC, none for HD console atm. Many for the original version though) https://www.speedrun.com/ff8

There's also a few guides on there and such which could explain how to do it, I do see a couple guides specifically on the final fight. I also wanna point out your thing of

Anything is a speedrun if you want it to be :p Just because one thing is slow to do doesn't mean it's not "speedrunable".
right, thanks! just wasnt sure how to avoid those full team one hit kills at the end on a speedrun, i know a couple ways on a regular low level run but when it comes to fast time for lack of better words, wasnt sure what to do there unless its bare minimum card rounds but i'll look at the link to find out. thanks for responding me so quickly btw, appreciated =)

Reactions: 28142
right, thanks! just wasnt sure how to avoid those full team one hit kills at the end on a speedrun, i know a couple ways on a regular low level run but when it comes to fast time for lack of better words, wasnt sure what to do there unless its bare minimum card rounds but i'll look at the link to find out. thanks for responding me so quickly btw, appreciated =)

I'm always interested in speedrunning talk ahah, even for games/franchises I don't run myself so no worries!

same, i dont do kaizo mario rom hacks myself but i enjoy seeing other people speedrun them. some amazing players out there, i cant do kaizo but its fun to watch. gonna look into how to avoid those otherwise one hit kills and try a speedrun later for FF8 since i like the game enough and feel like i understand the game enough to attempt it, the last boss is gonna be the bigger challenge tho because of those moves i described but it cant be impossible

same, i dont do kaizo mario rom hacks myself but i enjoy seeing other people speedrun them. some amazing players out there, i cant do kaizo but its fun to watch. gonna look into how to avoid those otherwise one hit kills and try a speedrun later for FF8 since i like the game enough and feel like i understand the game enough to attempt it, the last boss is gonna be the bigger challenge tho because of those moves i described but it cant be impossible

Good luck ^^ And have fun with it as well!! Learning new tricks and mechanics is always a fun thing imo.

Reactions: Kadaj
Good luck ^^ And have fun with it as well!! Learning new tricks and mechanics is always a fun thing imo.
thanks, and i agree i always love learning new tricks and hints especially when it comes to RPGs, its a lot of fun !

Back