AC:NH Is Animal Crossing: New Horizons a good game for kids?

• Thread starter LawsonGage
  • Start date
L

LawsonGage

New Kid on the Block
Towns Folk
I have a 5 year old son who has started getting into video games. He enjoys Super Mario Maker 2, Smash Bros Ultimate, and Super Mario Odyssey.

I’m kinda borderline if I’ll purchase ACNH. I’ve never played Animal Crossing before, but it looks good. What may tip the scales into me picking up ACNH is knowing my son would enjoy it.

Is this game good for kids? I have two concerns. Will not being able to read hinder him? I’m happy to read stuff for him, but it would be even better if he could play independently. I also hear the game is about gradual progress. I worry that may bore him.

Well, I would have been about 6 when I first played animal crossing. I really REALLY enjoyed it at that age, and still do today.

For reading, I wouldn't say it's 100% needed, basic comprehension would be enough, and if anything, it'd help teach. Would also teach about money and things like that. The only issue would be that AC is more of a life sim game, it's all real-time (ingame time is IRL time, shops close at night, villagers can sleep at night, and things like that). The game is very much, slowly work towards making your village your way at your own pace. There's not really any deadlines, no time limits, it's all chill.

New horizions seems like it'll have a lot more "active" things to do in terms of crafting and things like that, but still has the same base gameplay I'd imagine.

I'd recommend perhaps waiting until NH comes out, and talking with your son about it. Could also buy a physical copy of it so you could always sell it if it turns out that he's not interested in it after a while.

Reactions: Mizunil
Of course Animal Crossing is good for kids. I wouldn't say it's made for children but it definitely caters towards them in playability. I played Wild World maybe a year or two after it came out, and I would've been about 8 or 9 years old or so, and I played it so much. I got kinda addicted.

And like Sky said, not being able to read the text isn't a huge necessity to just enjoy the game but I imagine that he might need your help to progress some of the game, like paying bells to Tom Nook and such.

To be honest, I don't know if your son has a short attention span or not but you might need some amount of patience to thoroughly enjoy a game like Animal Crossing and I know a lot of kids aren't into that. It really depends on what else is in the game so maybe wait a week or so after release and see what's in it.

I was around 6-7 when I played my first Animal Crossing game. Even though I had no idea about what I had to do I still had fun playing all the time! But once your kid can read and comprehend certain tasks to make the game better (speaking from my own experience) it unlocks way more content and progression. It does depend on if your kid is into those type of more relaxing, chill
games.

All in all its a great game!

same. i was around 7 when i played. it's a must buy for the switch and your son will definitely enjoy it with the colurful scenery and the charming animals. you might want to read stuff for him in the beginning to know the important stuff like how to earn bells etc...
reading shouldn't be a hindrance and the gradual progression isn't really boring as there's LOTS of other things to do like fishing, catching bugs, decorating your house etc... You can also have multiple houses on the same town (on the same console) so you can maybe play the game along with him. it's a really good game for kids because it isn't a "hard" game as ther's literally no skills needed to play and it's more of a casual game.

Back