Is it illegal to sell shiny Pokemon and bells for real money?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Was wondering this the other day because someone I know thought it was illegal how those people on eBay sell shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Sword/Shield and Bells in Animal Crossing: New Horizons for real money through PayPal.

Is it really illegal because I don't think eBay has been taking 'em down?

I don't think its illegal but the selling bells might be considered gambling to some people. It's not exactly good to sell this stuff since most of it is generated on a hacked console, and even getting it all legitamately before selling is against the terms of service (atleast for Pokémon HOME). It may be illegal in some countries but afak it's not illegal in the US or against ebays rules.

Reactions: Marc
but the selling bells might be considered gambling to some people
I don't see how selling bells can be considered as gambling ;~;

Reactions: SmugWolff
I don't see how selling bells can be considered as gambling ;~;
I don't either but alot of strange things get seen as gambling...

Reactions: Marc
I don't believe it's illegal since it's not even illegal to sell the carts the game is on. Shinies aren't something you can get in game with real money, they're just an item.

I think the issue might come from selling hacked shinies for real money since both sides (nintendo and selling sites) would have an issue with the hacked part. Wouldn't be "illegal" even then though since there's no laws for that xD

Selling bells would be the exact same, it's just an item in a game. Not sure how you'd get gambling from that xD

Reactions: Marc and SmugWolff
Legitimacy is always a good thing and it's impossible to tell on either occasion. It may be illegal in Japan on Pokemon if they are hacked in. Just not the US.

Source:

I mean it's not good but is it better than gaming with other people for money? I think so.

Reactions: SmugWolff
It's not illegal I think but it unethical to buy shiny pokemon, bells, or even animal crossing villagers for lots of money tbh. I've heard stories of Raymond from animal crossing new horizons being sold for thousands of dollars on ebay cause he's a rare smug cat villager that new in the animal crossing community. He has no amiibo card yet so people are selling him like he's the rarer than gold. Honestly just don't sell or buy stuff like this on the internet cause it's not ethical and your hurting your bank account buying stuff like this honestly. Those are just my thoughts but your welcome to have your own.

I don't believe it is illegal, maybe not fair though since most of the nook mile tickets, villagers, and bells are usually hacked. I know a lot of people who bought these things on ebay and nothing happened to them. It could be equivalent to buying more coins or currency in a game.

It’s never illegal to buy them, but on the selling end things can get hazy. It comes down to whether it can be proven that those goods were obtained through hacking.

I’m not positive if it’s illegal otherwise.I could have sworn I’d heard people were getting their listings taken down, but that was likely something having to do with hacked star fragment trees in New Horizons. I do know those were recently removed from people’s islands (or converted to normal trees), so that is an example of Nintendo actually taking action.

Was wondering this the other day because someone I know thought it was illegal how those people on eBay sell shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Sword/Shield and Bells in Animal Crossing: New Horizons for real money through PayPal.

Is it really illegal because I don't think eBay has been taking 'em down?
It's not really illegal, because you get what you're paying for, and they aren't scamming you. If you get sales, that just means that the costumer is willing to pay you, and if you return the favor and give them what you promised, you're pretty much in the clear. Except if you sell illegal drugs, body parts, and the like idk. If you sell those, you're very much doing illegal stuff, and you're very likely to have at least some jail time and/or pay a small (or big!) fine. But we're talking about digital items from video games, so if you sell bells, trees in animal crossing, shiny pokemon, and the like I think you're pretty much in the clear there.

Back