Is it safe to eat ACT II popcorn or can it increase the risk of cancer?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
ConAgra Foods would like Dr. Oz viewers to know that Orville Redenbacher’s and Act II popcorn is safe and can be part of a healthful diet. Orville Redenbacher’s and ACT II popcorn, despite the implication, contain 0 grams trans fat, have no added diacetyl and no PFOAs. We began removing trans fats from our microwave popcorn nearly a decade ago, and we were among the first popcorn makers to remove added diacetyl from all microwave popcorn products in 2007. Additionally, ConAgra Foods transitioned to non-PFOA materials in microwave popcorn packaging six years ago. Because the segment on microwave popcorn didn’t convey these facts, we wanted to reassure viewers that Orville Redenbacher’s and ACT II popcorn are safe and wholesome to enjoy.
Source: https://www.doctoroz.com/conagra-foods-statement-microwave-popcorn

Was reading how microwave popcorn increases the risk of getting cancer, so I decided to look it up. The main points were diacetyl (I think for the smell and maybe flavoring) and the packaging. It's probably safe to assume most popular microwave popcorn brands have removed diacetyl a long time ago, so my main concern is about the packaging with the chemicals.

Anyone know if this is true or if there's still a risk with the packaging?

Reactions: AricAttack
Diacetyl is one of the things that is made during fermentation. Cultured dairy products all have this in naturally and it's why they taste so creamy and buttery. Eating Diacetyl is fine, it's when it's heated up and inhaled for long periods of time is where the issue is due to the vapours. Popcorn lung is what it was nicknamed because of workers in a microwave popcorn factory had it. This isn't cancer however, just a form of bronchiolitis which is just an infection and can be cured (though can easily cause issues especially if the person's breathing or lungs aren't ok).

The major issue for consumers when it comes to Diacetyl is in vapes, since it's used as a flavouring agent in them. Popcorn lung is actually decently common among people who use vapes and it's only growing. (oh yeah, but this is banned in the EU so)

The packaging probably had no part to do with it, I can't think of any reason packaging could do any harm at all unless they made it stupidly and the plastic was melting onto the food or something.

One thing about when they say that "this can cause cancer!", often it's only when exposed to it in incredibly large doses, or is just a stupid statement based on a test done on like, 2 people lol. California is pretty bad for that as well, signs everywhere saying "this can cause harm!" to basically everything. You're more likely to get cancer from second-hand smoke then you are eating cured/treated meats for example. Cancer can also just happen from things inside your body without much or any outside force.

Reactions: Jisenku and AricAttack
Dr. Oz is EVIL!

• Funny
Reactions: Jisenku
oh lol, I had no idea what dr oz was or basically any names you mentioned. I see it's a TV show though so yeah, just take literally any of that with a small grain of salt xD

Eating Diacetyl is fine, it's when it's heated up and inhaled for long periods of time is where the issue is due to the vapours.
Yah but you heat up microwave popcorn =P and you smell it too xD
The packaging probably had no part to do with it, I can't think of any reason packaging could do any harm at all unless they made it stupidly and the plastic was melting onto the food or something.
I read how the packaging is mixed with chemicals like PFOAs to prevent the contents from leaking through, so it's not just the packaging by itself. It's really the chemicals mixed in with it and how it's something you consume.

Yah but you heat up microwave popcorn =P and you smell it too xD

I read how the packaging is mixed with chemicals like PFOAs to prevent the contents from leaking through, so it's not just the packaging by itself. It's really the chemicals mixed in with it and how it's something you consume.

1) it's not actually used anymore in foods (at least it shouldn't be). And also note "long periods of time". I mean, LONG times.

2) Then that's just an issue with regulations and such, but PFOAs have been banned for use in packaging in multiple places now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

come over to the EU lol, we have basically all of these issues banned

the problems with the microwave....
watch the full thing

1) it's not actually used anymore in foods (at least it shouldn't be). And also note "long periods of time". I mean, LONG times.

2) Then that's just an issue with regulations and such, but PFOAs have been banned for use in packaging in multiple places now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

come over to the EU lol, we have basically all of these issues banned
1. Kinda what I said in my first post =P
2. Yea. I'm wondering if it's still done. ACT II popcorn is popular in the US I think and it's imported to where I live.
the problems with the microwave....
Where in my post asks about the microwave?

1. Kinda what I said in my first post =P
2. Yea. I'm wondering if it's still done. ACT II popcorn is popular in the US I think and it's imported to where I live.

Where in my post asks about the microwave?
i meant eating microwave popcorn is dangerous because of the use of the microwave

i meant eating microwave popcorn is dangerous because of the use of the microwave
No it's not. Eating food heated up in a microwave is perfectly fine.

Standing up in front of an operating microwave for long periods of time is not because of radiation poisoning, that's why it's advised not to. Same can be said about laptops and cellphones.

Standing up in front of an operating microwave for long periods of time is not because of radiation poisoning, that's why it's advised not to. Same can be said about laptops and cellphones.
the video was a joke.............it's made by comedy central

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64
OK, so according to Walmarts product page for Act 2 'Butter Lovers' Microwave Popcorn, the ingredients are

Popping Corn
Palm Oil: Basically Vegetable Oil
Salt: Only 310 mg of sodium, or 13.4% of the recommended sodium intake daily
Less than 2% of~
Natural Flavor: Not sure of what exactly this is, but is natural
Color Added (Annatto): Annatto is a natural dye, deriving from the seeds of the achiote tree.
TBHQ: Tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, is possibly the most unhealthy/controversial ingredient, and only .02% of it can be used in a product according to the FDA.
and Citric Acid (for freshness): A weak organic acid, considered safe (GRAS) according to the FDA

It's also Gluten-Free

As far as the Microwave, as long as you didn't make it yourself, the FDA is always testing microwaves to ensure safety, any and every microwave is tested before consumer use. Besides, you would have to be exposed to radiation for a VERY long time (or be exposed to A LOT of it) before anything happened to you. Radiation is only dangerous at high amounts. The main reason why X-ray technicians or other people stand behind the machine is that if they stayed within the radiation range, over time, they would be damaged by the radiation, but that is due to them being around it a lot. If you only get exposed to it only every time you go to the doctor's, you should be fine.

That's my analysis on the subject

I better have earned the title of Dr. Stone by now... lol

BTW, only 5 mW of radiation will ever leak from a Microwave in its lifetime, definitely not going to kill you, probably won't even damage you, due to the fact that we get exposed to natural radiation as well. While it's advisable not to have too much radiation, you won't die from a microwave.

As far as the Microwave, as long as you didn't make it yourself, the FDA is always testing microwaves to ensure safety, any and every microwave is tested before consumer use. Besides, you would have to be exposed to radiation for a VERY long time (or be exposed to A LOT of it) before anything happened to you. Radiation is only dangerous at high amounts. The main reason why X-ray technicians or other people stand behind the machine is that if they stayed within the radiation range, over time, they would be damaged by the radiation, but that is due to them being around it a lot. If you only get exposed to it only every time you go to the doctor's, you should be fine.
I'm not sure how many times I got to say this post is about consuming ACT II popcorn and not about microwaves lol.

I'm not sure how many times I got to say this post is about consuming ACT II popcorn and not about microwaves lol.
I know, I was addressing both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back