Is it safe to let your phone battery regularly die?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Let's say you often let your phone battery drain down to 0% and it shuts off. Is this safe if it happens regularly or should you always try to charge up your phone before its battery dies?

I think the battery life reduces if you let it die too often (From my experience). Best to stick it on charge when it's at 5%-10% (Battery icon might show as red) at the minimum. In addition, It's slightly annoying to restart your phone after it turns off multiple times. xd

Reactions: Mizunil
I'm not sure of any penalties for letting your phone die, but it would be a good idea to adjust some of your settings to let your battery last longer.

I think it depends on the battery type, some are more resistant than others. Just to be on a safer side tho, if the phone is a year or a year and a half old, you should stick to the 10%-15% range and charge it asap.

I'm not fully sure if they should be fully drained, however, try not to, not too often anyway. Be careful that if you charge before it's close to draining out too frequently, it will make a digital memory (basically, think that the 0% of the battery is not at 0% but at another % where you usually plug in your phone). That's why some phones shut off even when the battery reads (for example) 6%.

I have a bad habit of letting my phone discharge to 1%. There are two reasons for this. One, the phone is new so If I charge it fully on day 1, I'm still using it by the end of day 2, where the battery is almost dead. Two, the fact that my phone has quick charge and literally charges at a rate of 2% per minute in the first 30mins (quick charge slows down the higher the battery %).

Getting back to the original question, letting the device drain fully once in a while is not bad. You should not do it regularly though, I've seen on old devices it further ruins the battery, however, that is my own speculation.

In the end, it comes down to the age of the device or should I say the number of charges it has gone through. They are the measure that tells you by how many charge and discharge cycles will the battery start to perform worse or degrade in its quality to retain the charge. I think iPhones usually retain only 80% of their original capacity after 500 cycles and it is more or less the same for other phones.

I'm actually not sure about this. I almost never let my iPad die, I usually always put it on its charger when its about to run outta juice. But, if it isn't bad to let it run out every once in a while, I might just let it run out every so often.

Nice question, to which I really wish there was a definite answer. I usually charge my phone once it reaches 10% or less battery (I let the red battery icon warn me it's time to charge again). I read a couple of articles on the matter before I wrote this message and, although there were many opinions regarding that topic, I really couldn't find a clear answer to that question...
Just don't leave your phones charging all night long, though. :thumbsup:

Yea it is okay because the new IPhone 8 and IPhone 8 Plus requires people to discharge your whole phone regularly because many people had problems with their phones getting stuck at 80% and above and Apple adviced them to discahrge their iPhones instead of charging it regularly like at when they’re at 70 or above.

i feel like it depends on the phone , but to be safe , wait to charge the phone until it is under 50%.
exception is when phone battery charge lowers wuickly which is old phones.
for phones that are not smart phones , it is safer to charge the phone more often.
if your phone is around 30% or less and you are going to bed , you should charge it before you fall asleep.

Also, don't charge your phone up to 100% at once. It's better to charge it up to around 80%. I read it somewhere but I don't remember where, so try to google it.

Also, don't charge your phone up to 100% at once. It's better to charge it up to around 80%. I read it somewhere but I don't remember where, so try to google it.
I read that somewhere too. I think it is something to do with the charge trying to keep the power at 100%. Doing that slowly kills your battery I think. You should probably look it up yourself :p

If you plan to reset your phone battery, then letting it charge to 100 then letting it drain to 0 is always a good idea

My dad actually always told me it's good to let the phone die once in a while, but once in a while is the big part. If you're constantly letting it die, it can be a problem. He could be wrong though- or just was talking about computers or something.

Back