Is it still worth it to get a Nintendo 3DS?

• Thread starter RinoDino
  • Start date
RinoDino

RinoDino

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
Since 2011, I've always wanted a Nintendo 3DS but never got around to getting one. Last year, I got a Wii U with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Splatoon, Wii Fit U (I got it free), Mario Kart 8, a Wii U Pro Controller and a Dr.Mario Amiibo.
This Christmas, it's the last chance that I have to get a 3DS, because in March, the Nintendo Switch and my interest over the 3DS will be gone. So I want do hear your opinion, is it still worth it to get a 3DS or should I just ignore it and a Switch next year?

I think you're better off getting a New 3DS, as its 3D functions are much more useful than the old one's. (Not that the 3D itself is that fantastic, but y'know.)
Still there are lots of titles to grab for the 3DS, and most soon to be released will be geared more toward the New 3DS, so I'd get ahead on this one. ^~^

I've had a blast with my 3ds. There are a ton of great exclusive games. I'd encourage you to buy it. Just for an example of some games, MH4U. I've personally played over 300 hours, and some people have played 1000+. People are still playing it online too. AC:NL is great pic too, depending if you like that type of game. There are tons others as well.

You should definately get it. For the good games it has now, and its retroness in 20 years.

The 3DS got Sun/Moon and Mario Maker recently, and will get Yoshi's Wooly World soon. The 3DS is already "still worth it" even without counting all the stuff that came out before these.

The 3DS easily goes down as one of the best (if not the best) handheld gaming device as of right now. You can argue the Nintendo DS versus it, but that makes no sense seeing as the 3DS hosts the DS' library, on top of the great library that it itself has as well as the virtual console. Also, its worth is tenfold because of homebrew. I know the Switch is going to be a home+portable duo but trust me, the extremely large 3DS userbase is not going to fade away anytime soon, so there's no real worries about it being replaced in the next gen.

I have a Wii U and 3DS myself, and personally am not getting the Switch unless they release a new Fire Emblem. Even then I might hold off on it..

I've been in love with the 3DS since it's launch and bought the twelfth one available in the United States. My dad sadly lost my original about two years ago and I just recently rebought one used off eBay. I think buying one would still be a great idea for how the price has gone down. As for myself, I'd love to go and get all my old games I had and beat them all over again, will be fun relive all that over. In my own opinion, I don't think they will do anything with the 3DS very soon, so there is no worry about ng a generation behind or anything of that sort. I even decided to get the launch 3DS, not the XL (Cheaper and wanted the old feel again), there are games I need to get from not having mine for so long, such as X and Y, Sun and Moon, Smash, and etc...

I think if you buy one you'll greatly enjoy the experiences with such a great system, if not, I recommend the WiiU. It's not as bad as some might say, I've enjoyed playing it with my friends and hope to buy one soon. I hope I've been of some help to you, I just made this account today so I'm very new and very much still a noob but, none the less I'd like to help, bye!~

~Light

Hmm, everyone here (me included of course) are rather biased towards getting a 3DS but if you had to make a choice and you no matter what can't get both I would say get the Switch. The Switch is a handheld and a console together in one, meaning it's not necessary to get another console or handheld instead (theoretically of course). It'll come out with some great games, topmost being the new Zelda, but there are rumours of even a new Pokemon coming to it.

If you can get both though, definitely get a 3DS. It's a long ways away to March and the 3DS has some incredible games to keep you entertained till then. Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash, Pokemon, Persona Q, Fire Emblem (oh my god Fire Emblem is so good) and the list keeps going. It's definitely worth the buy if you can.

Despite what a lot of people say, the 3DS is not on its way out. Yes, it's going through a Wii U port phase, but a good phase if you check the lineup (e.g. Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World). The DS family is a tried-and-true system: It is portable, colorful, and by classic Nintendo standards, fun and filled to the brim with a lineup of wonderful games with hours upon hours each of value. I'd be lying if I didn't say that this was my home console, my Wii just doesn't come with me everywhere I go. The graphics are honestly underrated for a portable Nintendo console and shouldn't count as a turn-off. Overall, YES to your question. Although if you've never had one yet, I would absolutely go for the new version. Hope this helps! :D

Your decision may or may not have been decided already since it's past Christmas. Be that as it may I think it's definitely still worth it, but I would recommend getting a New3DS model. There's just simply more options on it over the original and it costs about the same too.

The 3DS has a solid library of games. Even ignoring all the good ports of older console games (of which there are plenty) You have two new Ace Attorney titles + HD Trilogy, two new Zelda titles, six new Pokemon games + a 3D Pokemon Mystery Dungeon title that is good (eat your heart out, GtI), Mario and Luigi Dream Team (which dare I say, it is the best title in the franchise), Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and many more that I can't think off of the top of my head. There's sure to be plenty of other gems in the eShop for you too.

The Virtual Console lineup is nothing to sneeze at either. We have not only some NES/SNES titles of Wii and Wii U fame at the distance of your pockets, but we also have Gameboy/ Color and Game Gear titles as well, two lineups that have never before been released on the Virtual Console platform and cannot be accessed through any other Nintendo system but the 3DS. Plus if you're a Pokemon fan they just released the original Red/Blue/Yellow games on the 3DS Virtual Console this year.

If anything I would urge you to get it sooner rather than later; while it's true the 3DS has plenty of life in it yet, the same can't be said of the availability of some games. Soon Nintendo will have to wind down and stop production sometime, and if you're like me (Semi-large library of 3DS games + a wishlist of other games to get) then getting them now while they're still at retail prices (or cheaper if you're lucky making the rounds with your local second hand stores) would be ideal over doing it later and making the hunt harder and more expensive.

I'd say it's still worth it, while it's already dying, it still has a huge library of excellent games.

Sorry guys, I couldn't get a 3DS during Christmas because of my lack of enough money to buy it, I will probably get a Nintendo Switch if I get enough money until March or Summer, but maybe after that, if I get enough money to get a 3DS, then I'll definetly get it.

I think if you wanted a 3DS that getting the new 3DS would be the best choice cause you wouldn't miss out on games that work just for it. Other then that I would say getting it would be worth it cause there are a lot of very good games for it and I'm sure many more to come as well. Even tho the switch will be out next year I think it's going to be missing out on a lot of the good games , it will have it's own but none really like you can find on the 3ds .

If you want a 3ds, then get it. If you want it only because other people have it then... I would say definitely not. Just stick with your gut and do what you want to do!

Seeing as the New 2DS XL is just around the corner soon and at a relatively cheap price ($150 USD?), now would probably be the best time to get into the 3DS family system. (Although as for homebrew capabilities, though it remains to be seen I have my doubts that it will be easily as cracked as the previous revisions.)

Yes, i think so.
Butget a new 3ds model.
There are still so many games.
Mario kart 7, super mario 3d land, NSMB2, Link between worlds, Majoras Mask 3d, Ocarina of Time 3d, Two mario party games, Kirby triple deluxe, Kid icarus uprising, Tomodachi life, Star fox 64, shovel knight, terraria, pilotwings resort, Hyrule warriors, smash 4, xenoblade 3d and a decently sized virtual console.

Back