1. NintenPedia Guest Message

Get 3DS/Wii U/Switch eShop Credit

Members of the community can earn or win Nintendo 3DS/WiiU/Switch eShop credit. This is available to North American and European region 3DS and Wii U owners (Switch is region free). Earn Play Coins by posting in the forum and exchange them for eShop credit. It's that easy.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Yoshi - 3DS Pedia
Signing up for an account lets you communicate with other Nintendo gamers from around the world. Play games, ask questions, have fun and earn eShop credit along the way.

Is it worth getting a Circle Pad Pro to play Monster Hunter?

Discussion in 'Monster Hunter' started by Clavier141, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Clavier141

Clavier141 Digimon Fanatic. 3DS FC: 3952-7481-0269 Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    24 coins
    I'm really interested in playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and in future Monster Hunter 4, but I've heard that the controls are a nightmare without a circle pad pro. I've got a 3DS XL so I'd have to get an XL one too, making it even more expensive and even less portable. Is it worth investing in one so I can play comfortably? Bearing in mind I'm not interested in any other games that use it such as Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear or Resident Evil.
  2. Derpydo

Derpydo woof Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    144 coins
    Not really, the lock-in mechanic is enough to get reacquainted to camera controls. Just remember to put the camera controls on the lower screen.

I used to play MH using the claw, playing without it is awkward at first but you'll get a hang of it real quick. The only real place I can see it making a difference is in underwater battles and that's only when you're not using a GS.
    Clavier141 likes this.
  3. mono_cap

mono_cap Senior Chief Detective-Aide Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    117 coins
    I think you should wait to get the 3DS XL's new model hopefully coming out in the West at most by the late 2015 winter season. Circle Pad Pro support is built in as well as the ZL and ZR buttons the Circle Pad Pro had, plus the updated and stronger firmware. As soon as it comes out, prices for the older ones will drop, so I suggest you save your money until them.
    Clavier141 likes this.
  4. AliTheAce

AliTheAce Scary Plane Man -CdbSofa Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    340 coins
    I don't really think that you will have much of a hard time using just the A/B/X/Y buttons to control the camera. I personally find it really convenient to use the regular buttons on the 3DS, and the Circle Pad Pro would be needed for games which require very precise controls, like in Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D or Resident Evil: Revelations.
  5. nicklesimba

nicklesimba New Kid from Dreamland Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    78 coins
    Im no expert but I'm 20 hours in and the regular controls are fine. The touch camera controls are surprisingly responsive and the lock on system helps fix it even more. And underwater controls do suck but it's good enough IMO.
  6. sodajet

sodajet Work-life balance is hard Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    303 coins
    The controls are alright without the CPP, but if you really wanted to invest some time into Monster Hunter, a Circle Pad Pro is a worthwhile investment. It has made MH3U much more comfortable and enjoyable for me. MH4U will be another great game to play with the accessory. For ~$20, it isn't too expensive and you can probably get it online fairly easily. You could always wait for the New 3DS, although its C-Stick seems pretty small (I can't judge on its comfortability yet though).
  7. Wolf

Wolf Nice to 'eat you Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    89 coins
    on 3ds i don't have monster hunter 3 but i have played the demo and i found it easy to use and unless the circle pad pro thing has more games that use the feature or i get more action type games,i don't have many(prefer RPG or VN), then i might consider it but right now its just another gimmick nintendo made to get more money $.$
    Clavier141 likes this.
  8. dilawer

dilawer The Villain in Green 3DS Pedia Contributor

Play Coins:
    432 coins
    Yes, You will definitely love it. Otherwise, the game will annoy you at times with very weird camera angles ruining the whole gameplay. Get it and you'll understand what I'm talking about or you can wait for the New 3DS which has a built-in Circle Pad Pro.
    Clavier141 likes this.
  9. EstebanTill2

EstebanTill2 Nintendo 3DS Legend Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    880 coins
    I think it is a good choice, I bought mh3 ultimate digitally and I didn't start playing it until I got the circle pad pro, as dilawer states the camera without the accesorie will annoy you at times. I am playing the game with the circle pad pro and the experience is awesome, because it is not just that ok i'll lock the target with R and that'll be it, you will need the camera even to look for other things besides monsters.
  10. Farhaan Raja

Farhaan Raja The Hero in Green Towns Folk

Play Coins:
    145 coins
    I know this post is old as hell but...

Blademasters; The CPP is an absolute luxury, but not a necessity. The virtual D-pad is good enough & you can alter it's size to make it more comfortable, but having that extra camera option & extra buttons is really helpful.

Gunner/Bow: Definitely a necessity. It is managable, but aiming with a virtual d-pad is harder than it sounds.

It also makes the thing comfier.

The new 3d adds other advantages to Monster Hunter 4u & Generations other than a built in cpp. It has better loading times & better textures.