Is Pokemon a copy of Final Fantasy?

• Thread starter milesose
  • Start date
M

milesose

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Most, if not all of you know about the Final Fantasy franchise, right? For those of you who don't, it's basically a turn-based RPG, with all the members in your party fighting against all the enemies encountered at the same time.

Back on track -- I've been playing FF Mystic Quest for the SNES on an emulator while traveling (It's a game with no love) and it got me to think. It was released before Pokemon, allowing Nintendo to be a copy cat. The mechanics are similar, Pokemon is also an RPG, turn-based with selecting who attacks first the same (in later games). Since Nintendo wanted such a game in their library, they copied just enough so it's not really visible to the public. Their design sector probably thought of something child-friendly, but yet a bit mature for the audience. Cute and cuddly monsters fighting would attract anyone! Add a story, some specific gameplay elements, make people bond with a binary code - allowing Nintendo to get them immersed in the story more, and BAM! Pocket Monsters were created! Since Nintendo had the money to sponsor their brand new game, they found a deal for an anime and manga alongside. Stories throughout the Pokemon games/shows are connected, if not same, but in another packet! This got me a bit mad because Nintendo was lying to us, how this game and concept was brand new, but instead, it was stolen from an exelent game that had no love, and therefore Nintendo had the chance to snatch FF's core. I was also sad because Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was the first Final Fantasy game people showed love and care for, no matter in how small size, what we appreciate now is nothing more than a tryout copy of Final Fantasy.

Answer what do you think

I don't think that Pokémon is a copy of Final Fantasy. It's not because they might have 10-20 lines of codes in common that make one a copy. Each game rests on its own mechanics. And more, I know that Final Fantasy, as of Final Fantasy 5, isn't that much turn-based, because you have to wait for a bar to be complete in order to do something, and the game uses real-time strategy in battles. And for Pokémon, no matter which game, it's still turn-based.

And Nintendo was originally aiming younger people, with a game that would suit them (PS: I'm not saying Pokémon is for kids, don't get me wrong), while Final Fantasy was aimed to an older audience (at least, the teenagers). I think that Nintendo was right when making Pokémon, because I don't think the original idea was to crush the FF licence, but to expand the popularity of RPGs.

So, I wouldn't say that Pokémon is a copy of FF. They might share some lines of codes and mechanics, but arguing that Pokémon is a copy of FF would be arguing that any RPG is a copy of FF, given that Pokémon really launched the success of RPGs toward younger people*. Of course, Final Fantasy contributed to this too, mostly with the awesome FF7, but targeting a bigger audience this time.

*Because yes, Pokémon is also considered (with FF) as the standard of the RPGs.

I don't agree with a lot of things you said, but I will be simple:

1. Final Fantasy isn't the first game of the genre using a Turn-Based gameplay.
2. The game wasn't made by Nintendo. Remember, Pokémon is actually a 2nd party.

If making a game of the same genre is copying, then we have a big problem.
For example, Call of Duty is a copy of Doom because you have a gun and you can shoot.

I don't agree with a lot of things you said, but I will be simple:

1. Final Fantasy isn't the first game of the genre using a Turn-Based gameplay.
2. The game wasn't made by Nintendo. Remember, Pokémon is actually a 2nd party.

If making a game of the same genre is copying, then we have a big problem.
For example, Call of Duty is a copy of Doom because you have a gun and you can shoot.

PS: Thanks for correcting the big mistake I have made, @Erixsan. (Nintendo =/= Game Freak)

I would agree with you but, Nintendo visibly wasn't into serious RPGs at the time, I'd add a Nintendo chart of activity but I'm using my 3DS. According to an old interview with one of Nintendo's workers (not specified) Game Freak made a totally different game, mature and complicated. When they asked for an approval, Nintendo replied with a no and willingly said they'd help out. Together they made the game, with all credits going to Game Freak. It's not very likely Nintendo would help out a 3rd party company when you look back at their past. I wasn't generalizating my argument, but rather putting it over hard evidence which you would find if you spent 3-5 hours to find. Hopefully this helped.

I would agree with you but, Nintendo visibly wasn't into serious RPGs at the time, I'd add a Nintendo chart of activity but I'm using my 3DS. According to an old interview with one of Nintendo's workers (not specified) Game Freak made a totally different game, mature and complicated. When they asked for an approval, Nintendo replied with a no and willingly said they'd help out. Together they made the game, with all credits going to Game Freak. It's not very likely Nintendo would help out a 3rd party company when you look back at their past. I wasn't generalizating my argument, but rather putting it over hard evidence which you would find if you spent 3-5 hours to find. Hopefully this helped.

Still, a same genre isn't copying another game.
Take a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role-playing_game

Reactions: milesose
Still, a same genre isn't copying another game.
Take a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role-playing_game
It all still is fishy if you ask me though. And here comes my conclusion:
  • I spent 4 hours doing my homework on this (both metaphorically and literally)
  • Erixsan doesn't clearly see the point between a generalized text and the opposite (It's about the action Nintendo took and no offense)
  • Thank you for finishing my psychology homework about people's reactions to unfinished arguments :3
Please don't get mad, at least I made a theory on something

It all still is fishy if you ask me though. And here comes my conclusion:
  • I spent 4 hours doing my homework on this (both metaphorically and literally)
  • Erixsan doesn't clearly see the point between a generalized text and the opposite (It's about the action Nintendo took and no offense)
  • Thank you for finishing my psychology homework about people's reactions to unfinished arguments :3
Please don't get mad, at least I made a theory on something

I'm not bad, don't worry.

Guess this means Mario is a copy of humans. What a rip.

Seriously, just because they both have turn based combat means nothing.

Not a copy of Final Fantasy by a long shot but even if it were, I'd say that Nintendo knew how to appeal to the gamers. I mean every game that comes out nowadays is a copy of some other game in one way or another, so the only thing we care about is who does it better.

I do think Pokemon is a copy of FF because as a lot of people stated below, you are comparing two different genres together. Final Fantasy uses real time action,whereas Pokemon is completely turn based. In Final Fantasy, you cannot "catch more characters like you can in Pokemon games. Even Pokemon was copied of Final Fantasy, Nintendo/Gamefreak would have been sued a long time ago.

Although I dug up some not-really-solid evidence, I have to say this: GUYS CALM YOUR TITS, THIS IS FOR MY SCHOOL HOMEWORK AND I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE FOR A STATISTIC. Thank you.

Although I dug up some not-really-solid evidence, I have to say this: GUYS CALM YOUR TITS, THIS IS FOR MY SCHOOL HOMEWORK AND I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE FOR A STATISTIC. Thank you.
Hey, watch your CAPS and I know that all members on this website are not 12+

Please excuse me for my over-reaction, I was frustrated at the time. Again I apologise for my childish reaction. Hopefully you accept my apology :).

For the sceptics, here's a signature by my teacher

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just... I don't... I... what?

I'm sorry if I offended you with that, but that was my honest first reaction to reading this. I understand that this is your homework and you just needed second opinions or whatever, but really, how did you expect anyone to agree with you? I've seen a lot of games be claimed to be copies of each other, but this one really takes the cake! pokemon, a game where you run around catching creatures to fight with, a game which's objective is not just to beat the evil that's trying to take over the world, but also to catch all of the pokemon available to you. I get the turn based thing, but not every single final fantasy game was turn based, and if we're going to claim copy on that feature, we may as well accuse final fantasy of copying pokemon by introducing summons and espers, and then go even further to accusing all of the MMO's out there of copying Final Fantasy and other games with their classses. It never ends.

Final Fantasy and pokemon are completely different games, nothing was coppied, and although I apologise for saying this, anyone who thinks that pokemon is a copy of FF is crazy, and not just a little bit crazy, but insane crazy.

Please excuse me for my over-reaction, I was frustrated at the time. Again I apologise for my childish reaction. Hopefully you accept my apology :).

For the sceptics, here's a signature by my teacher

Lol no offense, but your teacher needs to take English classes. Proper English would have been "I hereby declare that the actions taken by Mike Vuletic on the 3DSPedia forum were necessary for his schoolwork".

I would agree with you but, Nintendo visibly wasn't into serious RPGs at the time.

Fire Emblem was a Nintendo franchise created long before Pokemon, and was a RPG. If you said that Nintendo copied Final Fantasy to create Fire Emblem, you might have had a few decent points (i.e. medieval elements, saving the world, character classes, magic, etc). But with Pokemon, it simply makes no sense. As others have pointed out, other games have made use of the "Turn-Based" or the "Experience Points" elements.

If you ask me, Pokemon is much more original than Final Fantasy if you take into consideration the games that were released before them.

And if you really want to compare Pokemon to another game, try Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei instead.

I just... I don't... I... what?

I'm sorry if I offended you with that, but that was my honest first reaction to reading this. I understand that this is your homework and you just needed second opinions or whatever, but really, how did you expect anyone to agree with you? I've seen a lot of games be claimed to be copies of each other, but this one really takes the cake! pokemon, a game where you run around catching creatures to fight with, a game which's objective is not just to beat the evil that's trying to take over the world, but also to catch all of the pokemon available to you. I get the turn based thing, but not every single final fantasy game was turn based, and if we're going to claim copy on that feature, we may as well accuse final fantasy of copying pokemon by introducing summons and espers, and then go even further to accusing all of the MMO's out there of copying Final Fantasy and other games with their classses. It never ends.

Final Fantasy and pokemon are completely different games, nothing was coppied, and although I apologise for saying this, anyone who thinks that pokemon is a copy of FF is crazy, and not just a little bit crazy, but insane crazy.
No worries. My homework was to see how people react to insane theories against true facts; possibilities. Turns out saying something wrong makes more fire than a molotov cocktail. Though the new FF games were a bit too far fetched if you ask me, WoW was better for me than FF because of its unique RTS-Turn-based script execution and with a massive lore, while FF had several sequals to one same script with repetitive storyline. MMORPGs have far better elements if you ask me.

Lol no offense, but your teacher needs to take English classes. Proper English would have been "I hereby declare that the actions taken by Mike Vuletic on the 3DSPedia forum were necessary for his schoolwork".

Fire Emblem was a Nintendo franchise created long before Pokemon, and was a RPG. If you said that Nintendo copied Final Fantasy to create Fire Emblem, you might have had a few decent points (i.e. medieval elements, saving the world, character classes, magic, etc). But with Pokemon, it simply makes no sense. As others have pointed out, other games have made use of the "Turn-Based" or the "Experience Points" elements.

If you ask me, Pokemon is much more original than Final Fantasy if you take into consideration the games that were released before them.

And if you really want to compare Pokemon to another game, try Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei instead.
I just bought the original FF board game, it looks like a mix of FFX and FF: Tactics. In the pack I also got a Pocket Monster board game, basically DnD with Pokemon instead :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I've ignored this thread for quite a while, because of the vacuous title, it was an instant no brainer, that this thread would be pure nonsense.

"The mechanics are similar, Pokemon is also an RPG, turn-based with selecting who attacks first the same (in later games)."
So what are you trying to justify, that ALL, RPG turn-based games that let you select who attacks first is the same, is a copy of Pokemon.

If I have to pick and choose on what you said in the first post, this post would be too long.

I know this thread, wasn't meant to be an offense to anyone, but I am a bit revolting, to stuff like these, it is irksome. Have you ever played any Final Fantasy to begin, well these are some of the elements that Final Fantasy output: magic, equipment, a FANTASTIC story-line, and amazing character, now that is just the precis of it. I'm not displaying hate to the Pokemon series, it's just two completely different genres, you can't mash them up together. The objective of Pokemon is to catch Pokemon (monsters) and battle trainers to test your skills, compare to saving the world from disasters/demons, that's just imbecile. For me, to explain with deeper thought, would be a complete waste.

No worries. My homework was to see how people react to insane theories against true facts; possibilities. Turns out saying something wrong makes more fire than a molotov cocktail. Though the new FF games were a bit too far fetched if you ask me, WoW was better for me than FF because of its unique RTS-Turn-based script execution and with a massive lore, while FF had several sequals to one same script with repetitive storyline. MMORPGs have far better elements if you ask me.
That's again comparing two different elements, and I don't want to go any deeper with that subject since it isn't the topic of the thread. I'm not being offensive on purpose, it's just comments like these really gets me in a bad mood.

If this were true (that Pokémon is a copy of Final Fantasy) then by default, that would make Final Fantasy (Mystic Quest) a copy of Master of Monsters, a turn-based strategy RPG (like Fire Emblem) which takes place on a hex-based map, in which you create and train monsters, leveling them up and evolving them (like Pokémon).

To be truthful, every videogame could realistically be considered a copy, because all games originated from a single, original game.

If this were true (that Pokémon is a copy of Final Fantasy) then by default, that would make Final Fantasy (Mystic Quest) a copy of Master of Monsters, a turn-based strategy RPG (like Fire Emblem) which takes place on a hex-based map, in which you create and train monsters, leveling them up and evolving them (like Pokémon).

To be truthful, every videogame could realistically be considered a copy, because all games originated from a single, original game.
I guess you're right, even stats show people love old and same concepts and games rather than innovation.

Back