is the horror genre dead?

• Thread starter cloudmario666
  • Start date
C

cloudmario666

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
i hate the the new horror movies they are so predictable and all the same. its come to the point when i know who dies first at the beginning of the movie, the monsters or whatever kill people in the movie is always the same or just dumb. the plot is always the same with something like( a bunch of dumb teens, a kind of experiment, a evil curse etc.

I wouldnt say its dead
You see,what alot of people overlook is,that Horror was always 99% stupid trash you can only watch ironically.

People just like to completely erase the terrible garbage that came out from their mind,if at the same time,some really good ones
were released.

Most of the films that are seen as classics nowadays were barely known when they were released,or seen as garabage.
And with the predictable plot,that isnt really a new problem,the genre always was cliche filled.
I know that this is propably is some mindless Hipster crap,but it usually seems like the less popular writers write the better films.

Nothing will happen,more stupid ones with some good ones between them will be released.
Even tho im legit concerned about the Found Footage Genre,with films like Unfriended and similair.
While films like Blair Witch Project,as much as I dislike it,took a lot of effort,Unfriended was shot in a day trough screen cap on Fire Fox and Skype.
It also makes me sad how people see Unfriended as a good film just because it has a good moral.
But that seems to be more of a problem with "everything has to be nice" and politicial correctness nowadays.

There are still alot of good modern Horror Films,someone just has to find them first.
Same goes for Videogames,there might be crappy Jumpscarefests like Emily Wants to Play,but there are still good ones coming out like Albino Lullaby and We Happy Few.

I wouldn't say that it's dead though many things in horror are overused such as jumpscares in Fnaf. And when they are overused the game ,movie ,book, ect, doesn't become as scary and it becomes boring so since scary movies are kinda using the same thing over and over again I can see why you think the horror genre is dead. Though their is a haunted house called the mckamey manor that is not your typical haunted house. Only people 18+ are allowed and you can't back out once you're in.

There are multiple Subgenres that pretty much ruin it.
Found Footage:
1.It banks on realism(or atleast tries),but the fact you watch it in the cinema already tells you the people in the film couldnt have really died.
Problems with Point 1:Lets look at Blairwitch Project.You see how they still hold the camera and its on while they run?
Yeah,cuz if you ran for your life you would do everything to record the ground.

2.Its pretty much just cliched Horror Scripts recorded with a cheap camera.

Slasher:
While some are good,most just seem to be the american attempt to recreate Giallo,which heavily failed.
It is pretty predictable most times,a bunch of Teenagers encounter a serial killer,all of them get killed in pretty stupid ways.
And if they plan to make it a franchise,they keep the character played by the attractive female actor alive.

Splatter:
As much as I love it,sadly most people dont realise that ridicolously over the top violence is more hilarious than scary.
There are some films that use Splatter in non humor ways well(John Carpenter's The Thing,Hellraiser),but most times its just unintentionally funny.Also please,for the love of god,dont use pure cgi effects for splatter,that looks even worse than using tomato soup as fake blood.

Reactions: Eric Cartman
Supernatural has been my favorite Horror tv show since I was eight. Supernatural became more focused this season 12 as Dean and Sam dealt with a complex array of feelings due to Mary's resurrection, plus the British Men of Letters' tactics of terror, helped elevate this season greatly after Season 11 dropped the ball when it came to cosmic affairs. It was so strong that it hurt the storyline, involving Lucifer, by making end-of-the-world stakes feel rather minor in the face of family drama.

Definitely not. I feel like it's come back into the spotlight recently, IT would be a good example, I have high hopes for the future as well. There's plenty of really good obscure content if you dig a little deeper, too.

Stephen King still remains a massively popular author, even if he has begun to drift away from the genre. Junji Ito still writes. Horror still goes around, only difference is that it perhaps doesn't reach the mainstream as often. When it does, it's usually still the same kind of cheap jumpscare-ridden flicks like always, so you can't exactly take that as an example to say it's gone downhill, either.

Back