Is the Switch capable of running Nier: Automata fine?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Nier: Automata looks interesting. I'm wondering if the Nintendo Switch is capable of running it if Square Enix so decides to port the game to the console. I know it's unlikely, but still >.<

Reactions: Tri-force64
Certainly, I don't see why not.

With proper changes and optimizations (downgrades too, naturally), the Switch should be capable of easily running current-gen games.

That's not the issue there, though. Developers aren't guided by power so much as potential money, if the Switch sells, it's likely to get a port, if it doesn't, it won't.

For example, the PS2 was hands down the weakest console of the 6th gen (not counting the Dreamcast, as it was already dead, lol, but that was even weaker) yet it got ports of many 3rd party franchises, with downgrades of course, simply because it had a higher install base.

Reactions: V_Weeb
That ain't happening. A mobile processor cannot run games like this at all, and its chances are even more low because of poor support. The game will have to be severely downgraded and optimized, which isn't worth it on a Nintendo console that'll result in a huge loss of money.

Reactions: 18
That ain't happening. A mobile processor cannot run games like this at all, and its chances are even more low because of poor support. The game will have to be severely downgraded and optimized, which isn't worth it on a Nintendo console that'll result in a huge loss of money.
I'm not sure about that. The switch isn't as powerful as PS4 or XBone, but it can run the same games with a little downgrading. The more people who buy the Switch, the more cash they can get out of a Switch port
I mean: http://nintendoeverything.com/plati...mata-on-switch-if-square-enix-shows-interest/
Platinum is already okay with a port so it must be possible. It now just depends if Square wants to do it, which also depends on the popularity of the Switch

Reactions: Blue Knight and Marc
I'm not sure about that. The switch isn't as powerful as PS4 or XBone, but it can run the same games with a little downgrading. The more people who buy the Switch, the more cash they can get out of a Switch port
I mean: http://nintendoeverything.com/plati...mata-on-switch-if-square-enix-shows-interest/
Platinum is already okay with a port so it must be possible. It now just depends if Square wants to do it, which also depends on the popularity of the Switch
The game might as well come to android and ios by that logic.

The game might as well come to android and ios by that logic.
Other than the fact that the Switch is more powerful than all but the most high-end smartphones in the market ATM, and that it has an OS optimized for gaming, as well as static hardware, so it can yield better results than the mobile platform, of course.

Also, ftr, mobile processor =//= weak, lol. The Switch also blows all 7th generation consoles, no exceptions (yes, even Xbox 360 and PS3) out of the water, and is also more powerful than the Wii U, PSVita and 3DS from 8th gen, and only a few steps below the XBone.

Reactions: V_Weeb and Tri-force64
Other than the fact that the Switch is more powerful than all but the most high-end smartphones in the market ATM, and that it has an OS optimized for gaming, as well as static hardware, so it can yield better results than the mobile platform, of course.

Also, ftr, mobile processor =//= weak, lol. The Switch also blows all 7th generation consoles, no exceptions (yes, even Xbox 360 and PS3) out of the water, and is also more powerful than the Wii U, PSVita and 3DS from 8th gen, and only a few steps below the XBone.
Perhaps. But unless I see a game released on the Switch that plays games at that level of graphics, I still don't think it'll be able to run these games properly without heavily cutting out graphics and spending a lot of time optimizing on relatively weak hardware. Its essentially in between the Wii u and Xbox 1 in terms of strength, which is great for a mobile processor but not full fledged AAA console games with eye popping graphics.

Mobile processors are getting very strong these days, especially as seen with high end smartphones gpus. They can run console quality games perfectly, but again, I doubt that mobile processors can produce high end AAA graphics without heavily optimizing and spending a lot of money on it. I may be wrong though.

Oh, if they decide to port it, it'll run all right.
It'd need a lot of sacrifices that pretty much butcher the game to get the Switch to run it though.

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
Oh, if they decide to port it, it'll run all right.
It'd need a lot of sacrifices that pretty much butcher the game to get the Switch to run it though.
These developers will then get a ton of bad reviews in the end, affecting sales. In a nutshell, this is why Nintendo's third party support is always terrible. In a business perspective, its a waste of time and money.

Back