Is upgrading to Windows 10 worth it?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I mean, for those who did not get the free offer from Microsoft or if you like the OS you're currently using.

Today I got an alert saying that I can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE :

windows  10.jpg

I'm not sure how good it is or will be when compared to what I'm currently using (Windows 7) after hearing the horror stories of Windows 8, but I don't think it'll auto-upgrade me on the date they release it.

I think a license costs around $100-$150 US. Do you think upgrading to Windows 10 will be worth it?

They are cranking them out faster than I can keep up. Windows 10?!?!?! Did they not just release 8? And what happend to 9? I used windows 7 and found it perfectly adequate for absolutely anyting I needed. But thats just me.

I have the same pop up, and I'm the same situation as you... i really like 7, even though i know I'll have to upgrade at some point... is 10 the one i should jump on or not? uuuuh... I'm so not sure... :(

i would if i had the money......idk if it is worth it though besides hololens hype ^.^

oh crap its free IGNORE WHAT I SAID IM COMING

For now, no. Wait a year for them to fix whatever will inevitably be terrible about it and then upgrade. Personally I'm going to just get it on my laptop (currently runs Win8.1) and if I like it upgrade on my desktop (Win7 Ult).

Chances are though Windows 7 is still gonna be better.

Well I have been using Windows 7 for pretty much as far as I can really remember much :p But I think that upgrading to Windows 10 is probably worth it , since I probably think that it's gonna be more faster and efficient :p Apparently I didn't get a notification as of yet like that though .

I curently have windows 8.1 and am currently looking to upgrade to 10. Since it is free for windows 7 and 8 i can't see how it wouldn't be worth it if you have them. If i had 7 i might not, but it still couldn't hurt.

I got the pop up thinking it was a virus or something >.< I still use windows 7, and it has been treating me good ever since I first got my laptop. I really hope this was worth it...

I heard that Windows 10 will have the start menu be much like that of Windows 7, so it shouldn't be that bad. I don't know what else is new about it, but I guess the best way to learn about it is to wait and see what everyone thinks about it when it's out.

In honesty, i'd probably stay with windows 7 because it runs well and it is what i'm used to ( i'm not a big fan of change when it comes to my pc), but if i had to upgrade, i would upgrade to windows 10 straight away rather than downloading windows 8 or 8.1, it just seems more logical and more updated. As long as you have a legit copy of the windows software, not a cracked/ illegal version, you are entitled to a free download of windows 10, so if you don't mind upgrading, or you like the look of windows 10, why wouldn't you upgrade?

They are cranking them out faster than I can keep up. Windows 10?!?!?! Did they not just release 8? And what happend to 9? I used windows 7 and found it perfectly adequate for absolutely anything I needed. But thats just me.

Windows 8.1 replaced what would have been called windows 9, since they made 8.1 they did not feel it was necessary to make 9.

I mean, for those who did not get the free offer from Microsoft or if you like the OS you're currently using.

Today I got an alert saying that I can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE :

View attachment 5919

I'm not sure how good it is or will be when compared to what I'm currently using (Windows 7) after hearing the horror stories of Windows 8, but I don't think it'll auto-upgrade me on the date they release it.

I think a license costs around $100-$150 US. Do you think upgrading to Windows 10 will be worth it?

Yes, since it's free. Plus, at least, we (W8/W8.1 users)'ll finally get back the Start Menu, and Cortana, which looked fun enough on the Windows Phones (two friends of mine had fun fooling around with it, so, I suppose it'll be fun using it on W10). And, they're even offering it to people with Windows 7 (without forcing them to get W8), so, what's wrong with it ?

(I'm not going to use the DirectX 12 argument, since I only believe what I see)

I don't think it's worth it. DON'T DO IT MARCY. D:

I think Windows 7 was perfect. When 8 came along, they added the start screen and a bunch of stuff that I don't actually use and just consumes memory in the background. I barely use the start menu and it's just there, looking pretty. Windows 10 I think, combined the start menu when you click start so it may be different.

But as Windows progresses, more and more memory is being consumed. Windows 7 is the most memory efficient and if you're gaming and stuff it's the best thing to have.
Call of Duty *cough* >.<

I don't know if that's a limited time offer, but if you really want to upgrade, I'd wait until they have all the bugs sorted out. D: I say this because I was forced to update to Windows 8.1 which caused my graphic driver to stop working at one point.

I haven't done my detailed research, but from my past experience, I would not upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 423
I received the notification as well. I've heard a lot of negative feedback about Windows 10 mainly because of the way it runs and looks. I find the basic colors that are within the dashboard as well as other places to be bland rather than modern. I think Windows 10 is over-complicating things, more so than 8 has. :/

I'm currently on Windows 7, which is pretty great, but recently my parents insisted on getting an 'upgrade' to Windows 8, even though I warned them. I've learn a few new curse words. :) Some websites don't function properly (or open at all), you have to download stuff before you an open it, the start screen is annoying, somehow Internet Explorer is back and unremovable (WHY?!), the computers got a whole lot slowly and then Microsoft said "Ah well, Windows 10 will be free.".

Now I don't believe most internet myths, but up to now the uneven windows were all great, the even were terrible and it's called "Windows 10" instead of 9. I asked a few people who actually tried the tech demo and they said Windows 10 was a worse version of 8. WORSE. Yes. Then again, reserving it won't hurt, just don't install it immediately. Wait a while, read some reviews and decide whether you really want Windows 10. But whatever you do, do not install 8.

I reserved it as well and waiting for it anxiously. Windows 10 is supposed to be the best Windows till date. Also they've added a lot of features mainly the one where you can stream your Xbox One games on your Laptop in the same Home network.

As someone currently running the Windows 10 Insider Preview, I would definitely recommend it over Windows 8.1 any day. There are some improvements to be made before the release date in July, but I imagine that you lot would like it so much better than Windows 8/8.1.

Back