I've Never Played A Zelda Game

• Thread starter pokerus
  • Start date
pokerus

pokerus

Helpful Virus
Towns Folk
It may seem crazy, but I've never played a Zelda game before. I've seen friends play it and I've seen it in stores, but it never looked like a game that would interest me.

Then Breath of the Wild comes around.

First of all, I want that game as soon as possible. It looks absolutely amazing. The graphics are great and the idea of an open world is really cool too. I really hope to purchase it for my Wii U (since I dont have the Switch yet).

Are there any other Zelda titles that I should play in the meantime? I may be able to borrow some from my friends.

Definitely play Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past to have entries into the 3D and 2D gameplay styles, even if they're a bit dated~ They also serve as entry points for the lore of the franchise.

I would say you should start out with Wind Waker (normal or HD Remake). Yes, it has a cartoon-ish style that when it first came out, got not too much attention by the fans, but since then it has a way better reputation and is fun and still keeps the puzzle / strategy style dungeons, so I think it is a good starting point and you can get it on Wii U or Wii / Gamecube!
But that's just my opinion :)

Skyward Sword ;)

Reactions: Blue Knight
If though has not played the legend of Zelda though has not lived at all. But seriously you should really start playing the games! I suggest wind waker I've been having a lot of fun with that game, as well as ocarina of time which I actually completed and got the Zelda expert emblem on the site! That doesn't mean the game is easy by the way... It gets really hard especially on master quest mode after you finish the story >.>

Try out Minish Cap (GBA) if you can. That's a really good game I think you'd enjoy. It's basically about mini-people called Picori, and Link is able to shrink down to size to access new areas (It's a dangerous world out there, though). It's a pretty challenging title with lots of playing time to keep you busy.

Majora's mask (N64/Gamecube) is worth checking out too. But, it has a time limit, and if you don't rewind time at certain points, it's pretty much game over for you (the evil moon crushes all of Termina). It has a 'dark' feel and the storyline is engaging. You can get different masks to give you abilities to progress to various parts of the game.

what was the reason that you wasnt interested in previous zelda games? that would help a lot in deciding on which zelda games to recommend to you. many like the 2D(top down) ones and others like the 3D ones. me personally i enjoy them both. what is it about breath of the wild that has you interested in it so much? the open world? the graphics?

I would really recommend a link between worlds as your first title because its a fun, great game with simple gameplay you'll be able to get into and it has a lot of traditional enemies and features of the Zelda series. Though I would also recommend wind waker seeing as you seem to like BoTW open world. But of course you can go with the typical Ocarina of Time as your first. I personally wasn't able to get into it but you might. Of course i'm being extremely bias as LBW was my first game.

Honestly, I really think the best Zelda game so far has been the original, can't get any better than the classics :). However, Breath of the Wild is an immensely close second, gameplay is so smooth and very VERY addicting. If you are entering the series I would recommend Breath Of The Wild, Ocarina Of Time, maybe Link Between Worlds (kinda meh for me but still a great game nonetheless). I haven't yet seen a Zelda game I didn't like though so I guess it really just depends on how much story you want. As many others have though I really hope you enjoy the series when you start it.

It may seem crazy, but I've never played a Zelda game before. I've seen friends play it and I've seen it in stores, but it never looked like a game that would interest me.

Then Breath of the Wild comes around.

First of all, I want that game as soon as possible. It looks absolutely amazing. The graphics are great and the idea of an open world is really cool too. I really hope to purchase it for my Wii U (since I dont have the Switch yet).

Are there any other Zelda titles that I should play in the meantime? I may be able to borrow some from my friends.
For me, I started with Twilight Princess, but Ocarina of Time is definitely a great game, on Metacritic, and by a lot of people, Ocarina of Time is the greatest game of all time.

I've played Zelda games from every generation (except current), and I can honestly say that there's not one title I didn't like (then again, I haven't tried Skyward Sword :rolleyes:).

If it's the open world and sense of freedom you're looking for, definitely try the other 3D titles, like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Or, if you're more into puzzles and problem solving, look to the 2D top down games. The only black sheep is Zelda 2: Link's Adventure which is a side-scrolling metroidvania style game.

Well, if you have never played a zelda before, you would probably find some previous zelda titles boring. I was about to tell you that ocarina of time and majora´s mask are the game I still haven´t finished but they are totally amazing. I do recommend you play the wind waker (amazing storyline, playability and visuals), twilight princess (though I know that game may not be for everyone). But then, if you want a closer look at what breath of the wild could be, I suggest you grab Skyward sword. REally good visuals and gameplay too. I loved that last game. The visuals of the latter remind me of the visuals breath of the wild has.

Link between worlds is probably the best choice. It's quite open ended, has cool gimmicks and is a re-imagining of one of the classic titles. However, if you want to play Breath of the wild, i suggest you jump right in, since the game is so drastically different from all the other Zeldas. But if you want a classic, but updated zelda experience, link between worlds for the 3ds is your best bet.

Here's a review for it. The guy who reviewed it also reviewed BOTW so check out his channel if you want.

Back