Ultimate jigglypuff impossible main?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
soo after a few hours of solo play in ultimate i noticed some things about jigglypuff... and while i know i said i thought little mac needed a buff, im starting to think this one might be even worse. yeah, its easy to edge camp little mac, but being too floaty can also be bad. some characters can get very easy spike kills if you jump too high too often (i know byleth for one does this easily). and not only can getting spiked happen easier, but its not hard to hit someone who decides to jump too high overall. not all characters can jump very high easily, but rosalina, kirby, meta knight and jigglypuff i know can. overall i feel jumping too high in general is a dangerous game in smash. yes, some spikes happen easier lower down the maps, but theres also a chance to person will go down with you if failed recovery unlike being too high where its easy to just land after a spike kill or bad aerial.

but it gets worse... not only is she floaty, but her specials are absolutely horrible. nuetral is extremely difficult to control, down special (sleep?) is very, very costly if you miss your target as she will be left wide open to even a moderate charge smash attack (especially from ones like sephiroth who barely have to get close to hit her), and her singing might be cute but its probably not going to pose much of a threat since she can be easily ranged after this dodged. seriously... how the heck do you win even a moderately hard fight with her?? its too easy to accidentally overcharge the nuetral (this seems like it has to be very precise or youll be going bowling right off the map), and even if you dont overcharge it by mistake all it takes is one easy counterattack from some characters, a nuetral B from zelda to get flung back, or have the other person or high level CPU/ amiibo jump right over it and let you possibly roll right into your doom.

and i forgot to say this but shield with her at your own risk since having jigglypuffs shield break at all results in instant death regardless of your accumulated damage. This is probably the worst thing about her especially if youre a world of light speedrunner who mains her and a 4* gone wrong can very easily be from shield breaks (especially on hard mode).

i will never be able to do even a decent job with her, jigglypuff might be cute, theres no question there but she seems very prone to all kinds of nasty accidents for any kind of hardcore play unless youre extremely skilled with her (i have yet to see a skilled jigglypuff main at all even on youtube... shes likely too hard or too risky for most)

Reactions: RedWhaley14
I used to main Jigglypuff and honestly she’s not as bad as people say she is. Sure, she’s exploitable, but she’s an extreme air based glass cannon who would be top tier if she didn’t have such glaring issues. Yeah, I think the shield thing is ridiculous, but here’s why I think she’s pretty decent.

1. Her aerials are incredible. Down Air is an incredible combo tool that dishes out a ton of damage (around 14%, which is a LOT when you can use it to combo into other moves). Neutral Air is incredibly strong (Kills offstage really early) and has a very long duration and a lot of priority. Forward Air is a fantastic spacing move that combos well, is amazing for offstage walls of pain, and can be done retreating to make it very hard to punish. Up Air is an amazing confirm into Rest and has a lot of duration, making it a nice juggling tool, and Back Air is very strong and has quite a bit of range, making it amazing for killing and edgeguarding. These aerials gel well with her incredible air speed and multiple jumps, giving her a fantastic air game and solid edgeguarding, and her air speed gives her amazing evasion and aerial approach.

2. Her specials are actually surprisingly solid. Yeah, Rollout is practically useless and is one of the worst Neutral specials in the game, but Pound is a fantastic long ranged move that allows Puff to stall, combo, and eats away shields like nobody’s business. Sing is a great tech-chasing tool that can be used after a Nair or sending someone onto a platform with Pound or Utilt, and Rest is an incredible kill move with frame 2 invincibility and phenomenally fast startup. In fact...

3. Rest is actually broken. The fact that it comes out so fast means you can combo into it very easily with landing Up Air, soft Fair, landing Dair, Pound, Jab, Utilt, aerial Dair, Sing, etc. It’s like a riskier version of Waft that you ALWAYS have access to.

I think Jigglypuff’s amazing air game, great edgeguarding, and strong tech chasing makes her a real menace if you don’t have the tools to get her out. She has exploitable weaknesses like poor range and trouble landing, and risky moves overall but I still think she’s not that bad in this game, potentially a midtier. She has a decent recovery and can kill you easily off of one interaction, and the while she’s exploitable, she’s not as exploitable as others (in fact she’s one of the hardest characters to hit and combo in the game lol)

Reactions: Deepak, Mizunil and Kadaj
I used to main Jigglypuff and honestly she’s not as bad as people say she is. Sure, she’s exploitable, but she’s an extreme air based glass cannon who would be top tier if she didn’t have such glaring issues. Yeah, I think the shield thing is ridiculous, but here’s why I think she’s pretty decent.

1. Her aerials are incredible. Down Air is an incredible combo tool that dishes out a ton of damage (around 14%, which is a LOT when you can use it to combo into other moves). Neutral Air is incredibly strong (Kills offstage really early) and has a very long duration and a lot of priority. Forward Air is a fantastic spacing move that combos well, is amazing for offstage walls of pain, and can be done retreating to make it very hard to punish. Up Air is an amazing confirm into Rest and has a lot of duration, making it a nice juggling tool, and Back Air is very strong and has quite a bit of range, making it amazing for killing and edgeguarding. These aerials gel well with her incredible air speed and multiple jumps, giving her a fantastic air game and solid edgeguarding, and her air speed gives her amazing evasion and aerial approach.

2. Her specials are actually surprisingly solid. Yeah, Rollout is practically useless and is one of the worst Neutral specials in the game, but Pound is a fantastic long ranged move that allows Puff to stall, combo, and eats away shields like nobody’s business. Sing is a great tech-chasing tool that can be used after a Nair or sending someone onto a platform with Pound or Utilt, and Rest is an incredible kill move with frame 2 invincibility and phenomenally fast startup. In fact...

3. Rest is actually broken. The fact that it comes out so fast means you can combo into it very easily with landing Up Air, soft Fair, landing Dair, Pound, Jab, Utilt, aerial Dair, Sing, etc. It’s like a riskier version of Waft that you ALWAYS have access to.

I think Jigglypuff’s amazing air game, great edgeguarding, and strong tech chasing makes her a real menace if you don’t have the tools to get her out. She has exploitable weaknesses like poor range and trouble landing, and risky moves overall but I still think she’s not that bad in this game, potentially a midtier. She has a decent recovery and can kill you easily off of one interaction, and the while she’s exploitable, she’s not as exploitable as others (in fact she’s one of the hardest characters to hit and combo in the game lol)
yeah, shes definitely very exploitable but i imagined shes just very difficult to play. i got screwed with her on a smash tour having her as my last random character and lost because im really bad at playing her (theres several characters im bad at but she is easily towards the top of that list for me). her aerials do sound pretty decent but it also seems like you have to understand her hitzones extremely well to get through any moderately tough battle though... mr game and watch also seems hard but i found her even harder than him. little mac i had quit because his poor recovery good a bit too annoying during some story runs (fortunately he got me far enough to get zelda though, shes by far my best overall). jigglypuff overall i got screwed a lot on the first several attempts of some spirit battles and i had to switch so i wouldnt waste too much board supplies >_< ive seen her powerful spikes a few times but they seem difficult to land compared to some other characters, they are definitely deadly though when they do hit

yeah, shes definitely very exploitable but i imagined shes just very difficult to play. i got screwed with her on a smash tour having her as my last random character and lost because im really bad at playing her (theres several characters im bad at but she is easily towards the top of that list for me). her aerials do sound pretty decent but it also seems like you have to understand her hitzones extremely well to get through any moderately tough battle though... mr game and watch also seems hard but i found her even harder than him. little mac i had quit because his poor recovery good a bit too annoying during some story runs (fortunately he got me far enough to get zelda though, shes by far my best overall). jigglypuff overall i got screwed a lot on the first several attempts of some spirit battles and i had to switch so i wouldnt waste too much board supplies >_< ive seen her powerful spikes a few times but they seem difficult to land compared to some other characters, they are definitely deadly though when they do hit
You should try practicing rest with cpu. Preferably against someone big like king k rool. A simple method I use to land rest most of the time: first use sleep and once the opponent is sleeping, land right on top of them until jigglypuff is clearly touching, and then use rest. It doesnt launch the oppenent as far because its done from the top. But its easier to land and its a kill option starting from like 50%.

Reactions: Kadaj
Back