Show Off Just a little share...

• Thread starter EsmyTiānmó
  • Start date
EsmyTiānmó

EsmyTiānmó

tinysaurus
Towns Folk
Just a small thing I did for a class. Studying to be a writer but also experimenting with character art just in case with Adobe Illustrator They are not bad but there are so many amazing illustrator artists out there...

But once I saw her near completion I really learned the unique feeling of seeing a character you made. I used a reference but did not trace...and I feel like she was so different from the reference but similar ...it just really felt like I brought something to life by accident. It was exhilarating that was the part that made me think I could get hooked on illustrating. I’m not saying it’s perfect - but I really felt her gaze. The reference had a sassy/sexy attitude which I was aiming for but the finished character had this heart rending look - I literally said “what the hell?” It wasn’t the feel I intended but I loved it more for that! Once I saw the gaze I then added the tear and glasses. It felt meant to be - which surprised me.

Oh it’s a photo of the prints I turned in excuse the soso quality <blames fedex/kinkos

D7784FD0-3C68-44C1-B9A9-D8E227518959.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunny_Meows, Deepak, Mizunil and 7 others
Just a small thing I did for a class. Studying to be a writer but also experimenting with character art just in case with Adobe Illustrator They are not bad but there are so many amazing illustrator artists out there...

But once I saw her near completion I really learned the unique feeling of seeing a character you made. I used a reference but did not trace...and I feel like she was so different from the reference but similar ...it just really felt like I brought something to life by accident. It was exhilarating that was the part that made me think I could get hooked on illustrating. I’m not saying it’s perfect - but I really felt her gaze. The reference had a sassy/sexy attitude which I was aiming for but the finished character had this heart rending look - I literally said “what the hell?” It wasn’t the feel I intended but I loved it more for that! Once I saw the gaze I then added the tear and glasses. It felt meant to be - which surprised me.

Oh it’s a photo of the prints I turned in excuse the soso quality <blames fedex/kinkos

View attachment 20805
that looks so cool! I can't even draw people ;-; good thing I have my roommate to teach me. They're pretty busy most of the time though sadly.

Reactions: EsmyTiānmó

View attachment 20805
I got freaked out for a minute because the face shapes were so realistic it kinda threw me off. I thought that it was really unrealistic until I remembered that I'm more used to anime faces. REALLY great job on these. Also nice lipsss

• Funny
Reactions: EsmyTiānmó and Sunny_Meows
I got freaked out for a minute because the face shapes were so realistic it kinda threw me off. I thought that it was really unrealistic until I remembered that I'm more used to anime faces. REALLY great job on these. Also nice lipsss
yeah it kinda has more realism than I'd like? I think I'll find a balance. I was looking at actual photos of people so I appreciate that I was able to put that through a sort of "anime filter" even if it is only one in my mind. I like the girl more than the man for this reason I think.

anyway - thank you so much ^^

edit: you mentioned the lips...it's funny that you can tell that is where I started on the male - if you notice that the lips and nasal area of his face are the most detailed - you can see I cut corners after pouring in all this detail on his lips lol. I think it looks better without that push for realism though. That is also the source of some strange shapes - too much detail I think. The eyes and mouth are the focal point of the left portrait whereas I think the right one of the girl came out more balanced and look a little more natural. not so "uncanny valley"

Last edited:
Reactions: Jisenku
yeah it kinda has more realism than I'd like? I think I'll find a balance. I was looking at actual photos of people so I appreciate that I was able to put that through a sort of "anime filter" even if it is only one in my mind.
speaking of anime filter...

Snapchat has an anime filter, can you please take pictures of these faces and show them?

Snapchat has an anime filter, can you please take pictures of these faces and show them?
lol that should be humurous at least - they are down in the garage in my portfolio case somewhere - so I'll try to hunt them down at some point. I had the photo on my phone which was easy to upload but I'll have to fetch the originals to take a new photo with snapchat.

wow...IMG_8679 (1).jpgIMG_8681.jpg

Reactions: ShyGuy64, Gram and Jisenku
oh my god this is so weird yet so freaking amazing

Also wow Snapchat thinks that your faces are pretty good, so you should too... lol

aw thank you ^^:GWowoHehe:

I was thinking myself - it didn't really want to change the girl too* much - other than getting rid of her glasses. The male just did not compute though - "let's replace whatever this is with a sweet anime boy" :p

I do like what it did with her eyes on the left frame though! pretty :love:

Back