Just got a Switch - What are some basic do's and don'ts?

• Thread starter scottypops
  • Start date
S

scottypops

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
Just got the console, only opened the box to put the screen protector on the little thing, then put it right back inside the box. Haven't powered it up yet nor checked what's inside since literally just came back home.

What are some things I should take into consideration? I know I'm using a US account for sure and the Switch is staying docked most of the time, basically 99% of the time. Any other stuff I should take into account when setting up the console? I used to have a NNID from my 3DS days, but I haven't used it in so long, am I going to be asked for it when setting up my account?

Do - Get Smash Ultimate. (You don't have to, but it's a great game)
Don't - play by yourself (unless you have no friends)

Just got the console, only opened the box to put the screen protector on the little thing, then put it right back inside the box. Haven't powered it up yet nor checked what's inside since literally just came back home.

What are some things I should take into consideration? I know I'm using a US account for sure and the Switch is staying docked most of the time, basically 99% of the time. Any other stuff I should take into account when setting up the console? I used to have a NNID from my 3DS days, but I haven't used it in so long, am I going to be asked for it when setting up my account?
A lot of members here have a switch, so if you are thinking of getting any games, ask one of the members here what they think of the game you’re planning on getting. Another thing is, Is that you should get a screen protector so that the switch screen doesn’t scratch when going into the dock, mine has a couple scratches from the dock so I got a screen protector, the switch might have a little bit of trouble going into the dock with the screen protector, but than it will go in way easier.

Do: Get odyssey or botw, and smash ultimate. -optional like agent said, but recommended- Take care of your joycons-if you dont, they might become loose.
Don't: not take care of your joy cons

I'd recommend getting a little fan like a small USB cooking fan to point on the side of the dock when the switch is being played. Ive found that it helps the switch to run much cooler and avoid any warping and the frame cracking. With my current setup I use 2 fans and I get about 8 degrees cooler temps.

You do not have to but I recommend this for the longevity of your console.

Do: Get games for it. Play game you like. Try game demos if you don't have any or few games Get multiplayer games. Even if you don't have an extra controller you can still play with a single Joy-Con on most games and play 2-player. Get a Switch case if you like playing on the go. If you are travelling just bring the AC adapter and the handheld mode and you're good. Getting the online service is optional. Do get the LAN adapter if you are playing Smash Ultimate and want to play online. Also add friends you know already or from here (I just put in the number and send request to people). Link your Nintendo account from the your 3DS/Wii U if you have those so then you can look for friends that way (You don't have to add them but you can find out if they have a Switch).

Don't: Just go on the eShop and buy anything that looks good. Don't break your controllers because they are expensive. Sell your Switch. Delete save data.

Back