Just imagine..."The Nintendo Engine"

• Thread starter Pixelet
  • Start date

Does "The Nintendo Engine" sound awesome?

• Total voters
Pixelet

Pixelet

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
I'm gonna use this thread to dream a little bit, enjoy!

You know what would be great? A home console that combines all of nintendos consoles. That sentence may sound stupid to some people but just think how awesome it would be. Remember all of the great gamecube and n64 titles that are being forgotten, simply because time is getting on? Wouldn't it be cool if nintendo somehow (don't know if it's possible but would be great!) combined all of it's consoles up to date together that could plug into your tv.

I would love to see a console that's interface combines elements from the user interface of each of nintendos consoles. The consoles that I would like to be included are the wii, the wiiu, the gamecube, the n64, the snes and the nes. Then I would love if there was a separate option for the handhelds. For example, using the controller synced up to the console (Another idea, any controller should be compatible with the interface but not with every single game) you select "Handheld Center" and if you are playing a multiplayer game with other people on several ds's it somehow detects each ds via bluetooth and boots each and every ds's top screen in a 10 m radius from the console to your tv screen alike splitscreen. This would be amazing to see! And with the gameboy line, i'd love if you could pair this via wire too! It would also be great if using ds download play you could connect your ds to the console and use that as a controller for the interface, for example using the d-pad for navigating through menus.

There should also be a messaging whilst in game ability, even on older games. (no friendcodes though, down with the friendcodes!) You should also be able to tell what the other person is playing if they're online and be able to join their game if wi-fi compatible. There should also be a slot on the engine for seperate nintendo engine games, i'd love to see many remakes of older games that you longed to play online but lacked the ability to. And the interface would include a huge part for miiverse, for example your gamertag and nintendo id could link up! The console would also have to have it's e-shop (or as i'd like to call it, the e-shop of all e-shops ;)) to download current games and older ones too, but no more virtual console section because you'd be able to play it on the nintendo engine which is compatible with the old games that would've featured on the virtual console section.

Almost forgot, i'd love it to play dvds too! (Graphics would have to be the highest it can though, gotta get that hd and 1080p) Of course graphics should be adjustable to suit gameplay.

Of course the console would be pricey, but you would get what you paid for! If something like this actually came out, imagine the reviews it would get on ign! It would be such a powerful machine, like the ultimate machine!!! I just think, the name "the nintendo engine" sums it up!

This is all just a dream, let me know below what you'd think would feature on the engine, what you agree and disagree with. I'd love to see picture of what you guys think this kind of thing would look like too!

Thanks for reading this long ramble.

Reactions: PigMayor and Jeff The Killer
Well, something like that already exists: it's called the WiiU. Though it doesn't read all the Nintendo games, it still has support for some games through Virtual Console.
And its portable version is the 3DS.

Nah, troll aside, I doubt Nintendo would do something like this. Too many things to reprogram, make emulators for everything, support every single game from every single Nintendo platform... That would be a total nightmare to manage such a project.

Do you imagine Nintendo rewriting the whole VConsole library to support the SuperFX (hard to emulate inside) chip of the SNES, the NES' addons, the Triforce arcade system, and all this stuff as well as 1st party addons ?

Sure, we would all love it to happen, but it won't happen.

Reactions: 532, 18, 3dsatackman and 1 other person
I know it probably wouldn't happen but it's possible right? I know there was like the retron 5 and all them that could play multiple nintendo games but it wasn't actually by nintendo. I suppose if nintendo really put a lot of time, money and effort into it they could probably do it but they'd have to make a lot of collaborations with other companies just to get the work done. Even if they just made a system on the handhelds to link to a tv somehow i'd be happy out! :)

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Unfortunately Nintendo probably won't do this. But if they did I'd like to see if they put the virtual boy on it.

Reactions: Pixelet
Unfortunately Nintendo probably won't do this. But if they did I'd like to see if they put the virtual boy on it.
Me too!

I think that that would be awesome, but i like having all the different consoles to play the games if it is all on one i dont think it is as cool ( just my opinion though) I highly doubt that nintendo will do this i think that they would lose some profit BUT they do have the wiiu which has almost every console except for 3ds/N3ds games.

I love your idea, I wish they would do this because there are games out there that I wish I could play and yet the console is long gone or the game is no longer sold. So the idea is a good one it's now just hoping Nintendo ever makes something like this.

Sounds like a dream console. The main reasons I'll put forward for why it won't happen are money-related and library-related, because @D4rkDragon ninjas me in the technical department every time :p

• What would a console like that cost to produce? Too much to justify for any company.
  • What would a console like that cost for consumers? $2500 or $4000 would be low... Too high for people to want it too much (although they still seem to buy iPads, what the heck mate >.<)
  • The game library would be too saturated, a hodgepodge of games old and new, for any game to be truly successful. And since higher-priced consoles depend on software sales to make up for losses (e.g Sony's consoles) it would make the Ninty Engine result in huge losses; they'd have to sell a console like that at a loss anyway.
So it's good that it's just a dream console. There's some bad aspects to it too, tiny, but more realistic :cat:

Reactions: Pixelet, 532 and D4rkDragon
It sounds like a Frankenstine experiment. That would take a lot of money and resources to create that, and then again, it would probably fail. I don't think something like that would be possible for Nintendo.

Reactions: Pixelet and 18
They can just work on their new consoles and get some individual teams working on getting as many games on Virtual Console as possible. Their next console playing DVDs and that kind of stuff would be cool too, and add in many apps (like BBC iPlayer and Netflix) to the eShop or it's next-gen equivalent, and it would be pretty cool.

While it would be nice, like several people have said, Wii U is getting there.

They can just work on their new consoles and get some individual teams working on getting as many games on Virtual Console as possible. Their next console playing DVDs and that kind of stuff would be cool too, and add in many apps (like BBC iPlayer and Netflix) to the eShop or it's next-gen equivalent, and it would be pretty cool.

I don't think Nintendo will ever add Blu-Ray or even DVD support to their devices. Nintendo is pretty confident with their gaming machines, I think, so this isn't really worth their time.

While it would be nice, like several people have said, Wii U is getting there.

I don't think Nintendo will ever add Blu-Ray or even DVD support to their devices. Nintendo is pretty confident with their gaming machines, I think, so this isn't really worth their time.
Then as much support for different apps on the eShop as possible would be nice. I'm not entirely sure how much there is now, but I think there are a few good apps Wii U could do with.

One word for you: Emulators. Have a nice day.

Just kidding, but seriously, that seems like a difficult thing to do officially. imagine the amount of money it would take to produce such a wonder. Many of these features are basically in the Wii U itself, but in a different form. People may not pay attention to games on the original Gameboy or the original NES except for the famous ones. It would basically be a bad investment on Nintendo's part for some of the features.

That being said, it is a very imaginative idea. It is everything I would want in a console, that's for sure. Keep up the great thinking, honeybun!:D

Haha, you can keep on dreaming all you like. One day, if you do join the Research and Development team for Nintendo, please promote this idea, okay? :p
You do have backwards compatibility on the Wii U, and you are able to play games from every generation of Nintendo home consoles, to some handheld games.

This would really sound cool if it had all the consoles but It may be expensive and once everybody has it , then Nintendo wouldn't be making any money and what happens if well , a new system comes out ? then even less people will be buying anything that is Nintendo . I guess Nintendo always thinks before acting that is why their products never really fail that bad . Also new systems are starting to have Virtual Console so that kinda replaces it

Back