Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I can't help.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
FireEmblem Smash Player

FireEmblem Smash Player

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
I always try to ledge guard, but I always seem to die. Can you guys give good tips for edge guarding?

Try too be careful

I always try to ledge guard, but I always seem to die. Can you guys give good tips for edge guarding?
Maybe you should a shield;)

Edge guard in which game? Smash 4 I presume? Well here's a few things you could try (in smash 4)
  • Predict your opponents recovery - Probably the most important tool to edge guarding. If you notice the opponent continuously recovering a certain way, try going in the way of that recovery (like if they try recovering above the ledge go up and try to spike them for example).
  • Ledge Trump - A new mechanic that's added in Smash 4. Ledge trumping occurs when a character grabs the ledge and while there another character grabs the ledge, causing the first character to fall back. This can be used to your advantage because if they get back on ledge after being trumped they won't get invincibility frames, so you can easily punish them. (Mechanic not supported by Donald Trump :p)
  • Know how good a certain character's recovery is - Another important thing. You can be fighting Little Mac who's recovery can easily stopped by any air attack, but in turn can be against villager who could easily up B back on stage. Knowing these options can help you predict and plan a ledge guard.

Reactions: Mr. L
My usual style of ledge guarding involves Shulk jumping to an offstage opponent to F-air them then using my second jump to F-air them again then getting back to the stage with my up special. When I got that going, people using characters who don't have good recovery options will always fail to get back on the stage.

Edge guard in which game? Smash 4 I presume? Well here's a few things you could try (in smash 4)
  • Predict your opponents recovery - Probably the most important tool to edge guarding. If you notice the opponent continuously recovering a certain way, try going in the way of that recovery (like if they try recovering above the ledge go up and try to spike them for example).
  • Ledge Trump - A new mechanic that's added in Smash 4. Ledge trumping occurs when a character grabs the ledge and while there another character grabs the ledge, causing the first character to fall back. This can be used to your advantage because if they get back on ledge after being trumped they won't get invincibility frames, so you can easily punish them. (Mechanic not supported by Donald Trump :p)
  • Know how good a certain character's recovery is - Another important thing. You can be fighting Little Mac who's recovery can easily stopped by any air attack, but in turn can be against villager who could easily up B back on stage. Knowing these options can help you predict and plan a ledge guard.
This advice is really good and there's only one way I can really expand on this..

Know your options - It's key to know what moves you can utilise in different situations. E.g. With falcon there are 3 major options you have to ledge guard. You can drop off the edge and immediately back-air to stage spike people who recover while hugging the bottom of the stage. You can drop or jump off the edge (depending on the position of your opponent) and meteor smash them as they attempt to recover [this works best with another move used first to set it up, or even a ledge trump]. Lastly, you can use the up-tilt while standing either on the ledge, or close to it to meteor smash opponents who are recovering above to on the level of the edge.

You can mix it up from there.. I sometimes like to drop and knee sweetspot, or even intentionally sour spot as it has such little knockack they fall further down than they get knocked down/sideways.

What character do you main? I can try and help you with your options and whta you can do in different situations. Most characters have an option that doesn't involve going off the ledge (Falcon's up-tilt and down tilt, Mario's down tilt, down smash and forward air [if you time it right you can pull out the sweetspot of his forward air just before he lands which places the smash hit box beneath the ledge]) etc.

Reactions: 3905
Back