SSB for Wii U Ledge Mechanics

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So in Smash 4, the Ledge works differently from how it works in Brawl and Melee. In this thread I'm going to discuss how the ledge works in ssb4, in case you have certain habits from Brawl/Melee you can't lose >.>

Starting off with Ledge hogging. This mechanic has been taken away completely. If you person holds onto the ledge and another person latches on, the person originally on the ledge will get pushed off the ledge, which is known as a Ledge Trump. When trumped, you could be easily punished with a Back Air or Neutral Air, which could even make you lose your stock! So to avoid getting trumped, give up on the ledgehog and try to attack the opponent before they reach the ledge.

Another thing that changed was the invincibility frames from the ledge. Originally you could gain indefinite invincibility by falling off then regrabbing the ledge. In Smash 4, you get invincibility the first time you grab the ledge while offstage, then you have to get back on the stage and then regrab the ledge for invincibility. If you try to fall then regrab the ledge, you won't get any invincibility, which allows your opponent to get a free punish! You have to touch the stage before regrabbing the ledge if you want to get invincibility, so there's no such thing as indefinite invincibility anymore.

One last thing I want to talk about is that if a character is holding on to the ledge without invincibility frames, there are some moves which allow you to hit them without having to go offstage. Some of these moves include Mario's Up Tilt, Lucas's Down Smash, and Kirby's Hammer. If you see your opponent try to regrab the ledge without coming onstage, you can use these moves to hit them or even take away one of their stocks. I don't know all the moves that can hit, but messing around in training mode can help you find the best ledge hitting move.

That's it for the topic on ledges. It's something I learned from watching videos and playing the game for a while. Any questions? Want some footage of something I discussed? Just reply below!

Reactions: Sans
Back