Let's Make a Game! Part 1!

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Ok, so, after so much positive feedback, here goes the first part of the "Let's Make a Game!" Series. As you might expect, you'll have a game if you follow that tutorial to the letter. Of course, without music (unless if somebody wants to compose it and send it to me, credit would be given and additional part would be made).

Ready ? Let's get started !

Part 1: Setting up everything... Wait, what ?
Of course you'll have to set things up to work. No worries though, it isn't that hard.
Get this and this and you'll be fine ! Also, for you Linux and Mac OS X guys, for now, unless if you want to install Mono (Used to make Windows stuff using .NET to work on non-Windows platforms), I suggest you to get this

Part 2: Wait... This isn't C++ ! I want my money PC back !

Aaaaand yes. We aren't going to use C or C++. That's it. The truth had to appear. But, nonetheless, even though your interest might have faded, keep reading! I'll cover soon enough why I didn't used C++.

Part 3: So, what's the big deal with that Haxe thingy ?

Why Haxe ? That's true ? Why not use Java, C++, C#, Python or even Rub-- Ditch Ruby, it's far too slow to make a game (And please, don't use the RPG Maker argument, I beg you). Let me tell you why: Haxe is a language that has a few tricks up its sleeves.

Haxe is a language that can target many platforms. You need to make an Android app ? You can do it.
Still can't get enough of Java ? You can also get a Java app. Can't afford C++'s syntax but need its speed ? Well, it's also possible. You needed to do a HTML5 game instead of a desktop game ? Also possible !

You can do almost anything with Haxe. Games, web pages, basic applications or even text-based applications. The choice is yours.

Part 4: Setting up additional dependencies
Even more stuff to install ? Yes. See, as is, you won't get far into making a game. You just got the raw tools to deal with Haxe, but not the game engine, or what will be use to debug your game.
But, don't worry, we'll get that fixed in no time.

(v Note, I haven't tried this on Linux/Mac OS X, but it should be fairly similar)
Windows Users, type this after having pressed (Windows) + R key:
"haxelib install flixel"

Then, a lot of stuff will appear, and Windows will set up the game engine (Haxe Flixel) in no time. Even better, dependencies (stuff needed for your game to work) will also be installed !

But that's not the end.
Again, press Windows + R and type this:
"haxelib install hxcpp"

to install the set of tools that will allow you to compile your code to C++. But I'll cover C++ compilation later, so you'll also get the Flash Player Projector from Adobe's website. (Just google it, it's an executable)
It'll allow us to debug our games way faster than using the default neko platform which needs to be reloaded with each build of your game.

Also, once everything is set up, don't forget to get this to make projects easily.

Considering that's a lot of stuff, I'll end the first part here, so, I'll be able to help people who didn't managed to get things right here. No worries though, I'll be working on the 2nd part right now!
See you on the 2nd thread (if you got everything right)!

Reactions: 3dsatackman, PigMayor, Rsngamer and 5 others
Back