Long division help - Maths

• Thread starter Tyrone
  • Start date
Tyrone

Tyrone

Totally Marcs Alt :3
Banned User
Hai everyone, Im right now in 6th grade and i cannot do any long division! My mom has been teaching me for quite some time on how to do it but i just forget as fast as i learn it...Can anyone help me remember it and get better at it? Thank's!

I'm in Year 11 in the UK, so I assume that's like 4 years above you so I can't remember the difference between long and short division that well but this looks really helpful for Short Division (and I'm pretty sure it's basically the same thing, but if anyone disagrees, feel free to correct me) and this looks helpful for Long Division.

Hopefully someone else can provide a bit more help but that looks quite easy to remember, to be honest.

Hmmm... I helped some of my friends with math, but long division over text... hmm how should I put this...
Well I don't know how to explain over text so sorry.

its ok

I would honestly just stick to short division, personally.

I find it more effective, faster (obviously), and easier to recall.

I would honestly just stick to short division, personally.

I find it more effective, faster (obviously), and easier to recall.
thats the problem....i'm so good with short division but i need to do long division for homework!

If you don't have math notes, I don't think you're getting much....

I'll try and explain.

So let's say you wanna do 11/4. I think you know how to create long division, so I'll tell you the steps.

So you can't put 4 into 1, but you can put 4 into 11. How many 4's can go into 11? 2. Because 4 x 3 = 12, and that can't fit into 11. But 4 x 2 = 8, and that's your only number that you can use that's closer to 11. Soo.. now put 2 at the top, and subtract 11 - 8 = 3. Since 4 can't go into 3, the 3 is the remainder. so the answer is 8 r 3.

Or you can ask your parents.

I'll just be honest right now, I've never been taught short division. I've only been doing long division for quite a while now. Didn't even know that short division was even in existence.

I used to work with long division all the time during 4th-7th grade. YES's links are really helpful and were definitely a good refresher for me. :p

Back