Absol @ scope lens
Jolly
Super luck
252 atk & spd, 4 hp
Night slash
Psycho cut
Shadow claw
Stone edge

I know it has a mega, but the goal here is to make this more dangerous to a few things. You souldn't underestimate absol in the first place: its base 130 or so attack can leave a nice little dent in you if you do. With this setup, its base attack essentually becomes 195, which is the highest base stat of any pokemon. Though let's face it, absol doesn't really have any defense, and is outsped even with this max speed setup. So how to solve it? Baton pass is the answear. Let's pair it with this:
Vaporeon @ leftovers
Bold
Water absorb
252 hp & def, 4 sp. Def
Acid armor
aqua ring
ice beam
Baton pass

With this giving it +2 defense and aqua ring, absol can now at least take a few hits and hit back extremely hard. It doesn't really solve the speed problem, though, but with that, absol can survive for at least a turn. Now, let's go to a setup for doubles. We'll need these two to pull it of there:
Greninja @ life orb
Timid
Protean
252 sp. Atk & spd, 4 sp. Def
Mat block
Scald
Extrasensory
Ice beam

Blaziken @ focus sash/blazikenite
Adamant
Speed boost
252 atk, 212 hp, 44 spd
Poisen jab
Bulk up
Blaze kick
Baton pass

On the first turn, blaziken uses bulk up while greninja uses mat block. If you thing blaziken needs to draw agro off of greninja, mega evole it. If not, put focus sash on it instead so it survives one hit. Next turn, get rid of anytging that could pose a threat to absol. This is why you have extrasensory and poisen jab: the two types that really threaten absol are fighting and fairy (there's a mega lucario idea). Absol has its own bug counter. Next turn, if you think blaziken can survive another turn, bulk up and mat block again. If not, baton pass to absol and mat block so it can be done safely. Now absol has +1 aatack, +1 defense, and +2 speed, which means that monsterous attack now has a good chace to go first.

Reactions: PalD2
Your whole team fails because of something called the Baton Pass Clause.

Baton Pass Clause: A Pokemon cannot pass off Speed and another stat boost with Baton Pass.

So you might have to do something about Blaziken, then your team will at least be Legal in official battles (Like official Pedia battles or Smogon).

Well I usually don't play by smogen rules, and that's a little ridiculous if you ask me. Then again, they've made some ridiculous decisions already. The tierinfg at the very least needs to be redone.

Well I usually don't play by smogen rules, and that's a little ridiculous if you ask me. Then again, they've made some ridiculous decisions already. The tierinfg at the very least needs to be redone.
Well it is true that you don't play by the rules implemented by Smogon (which I didn't mean to encourage, I apologize for that), you should also think about what other people you play against are going to use. I'm assuming this team is for Battle Spot Double battles? If so, you should be wary of Darkrai, since Dark Void attacks BOTH opponents in Doubles. Base 125 Speed is something only your Blaziken can beat after Speed Boost. You should also be wary that Mat Block has no increased priority, can only be used on the first turn you send out your Greninja, AND DOESN'T PROTECT AGAINST STATUS MOVES. So you kinda need a way to work around that (assuming you are using this in the Battle Spot).

Don't really play battle spot anymore, and I didn't know that about mat block. I guess you should just keep blaziken in untill you think you can baton pass safely, or if it would keep blaziken alive. I know status effects are an issue, but taunt is the worst thing that can happen.

Don't really play battle spot anymore, and I didn't know that about mat block. I guess you should just keep blaziken in untill you think you can baton pass safely, or if it would keep blaziken alive. I know status effects are an issue, but taunt is the worst thing that can happen.
Well then what did you intend to use the team for? I don't anticipate you making a team and just have it sit in your box :p

Link battles on the pss. Really, this is just a theoritocal team at the momemt. The only one I have bred so far is the absol.

Link battles on the pss. Really, this is just a theoritocal team at the momemt. The only one I have bred so far is the absol.
Hmm. Welp there is no pure metagame there (Because anyone can bring anything really).
What I can say is that you might still need help dealing with pesky status moves, Mat Block won't seem to help much in that regard. Maybe try putting Substitute in on Vap and Blaze, so that they can safely Stat Boost behind the Substitute, and if you're lucky enough you might be able to Baton Pass the Substitute as well! How does that sound?

That does sound better. I guess blaze can live without blaze kici, and vap can try bping the sub instead of aqua ring. But taunt still stops this from working. There's not much that can be done about that, though.

Reactions: 3905
In my experience, Batton Pass chains doesn't work in doubles, unless your opponent doesn't know how to play.

Mostly because Taunt, Mega Kangaskhan, Protect, Mega Kangaskhan, Fake Out, Mega Kangaskhan, Two Pokémon at the same time, Mega Kangaskhan, Team Preview, Mega Kangaskhan, Best of 3 (in VGC), Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Kangaskhan exists in doubles (an a lot of other reasons too)

*Smogon...

Also, just for curiosity, can you point out what "ridiculous decisions" have they made (and Smogon doesn't make the decisions, but rather the Smogon players, actually, not any player but the best Smogon players, the guys that analyse the metagame and know what they are doing)

And what do you propose for the tiering? You are complaining about something without saying what is wrong with it and how could it be improved

Absol @ scope lens
Jolly
Super luck
252 atk & spd, 4 hp
Night slash
Psycho cut
Shadow claw
Stone edge

I know it has a mega, but the goal here is to make this more dangerous to a few things. You souldn't underestimate absol in the first place: its base 130 or so attack can leave a nice little dent in you if you do. With this setup, its base attack essentually becomes 195, which is the highest base stat of any pokemon. Though let's face it, absol doesn't really have any defense, and is outsped even with this max speed setup. So how to solve it? Baton pass is the answear. Let's pair it with this:
Vaporeon @ leftovers
Bold
Water absorb
252 hp & def, 4 sp. Def
Acid armor
aqua ring
ice beam
Baton pass

With this giving it +2 defense and aqua ring, absol can now at least take a few hits and hit back extremely hard. It doesn't really solve the speed problem, though, but with that, absol can survive for at least a turn. Now, let's go to a setup for doubles. We'll need these two to pull it of there:
Greninja @ life orb
Timid
Protean
252 sp. Atk & spd, 4 sp. Def
Mat block
Scald
Extrasensory
Ice beam

Blaziken @ focus sash/blazikenite
Adamant
Speed boost
252 atk, 212 hp, 44 spd
Poisen jab
Bulk up
Blaze kick
Baton pass

On the first turn, blaziken uses bulk up while greninja uses mat block. If you thing blaziken needs to draw agro off of greninja, mega evole it. If not, put focus sash on it instead so it survives one hit. Next turn, get rid of anytging that could pose a threat to absol. This is why you have extrasensory and poisen jab: the two types that really threaten absol are fighting and fairy (there's a mega lucario idea). Absol has its own bug counter. Next turn, if you think blaziken can survive another turn, bulk up and mat block again. If not, baton pass to absol and mat block so it can be done safely. Now absol has +1 aatack, +1 defense, and +2 speed, which means that monsterous attack now has a good chace to go first.

I see a few problems with this... first being that in your BP Chain, you forgot to pass Special Defense... which thanks to Absol horrible defenses is not going to be really nice... and even at +6, Absol physical defenses are not the best

Second you are using Mat Block, if you are playing singles... this sucks...
If you are playing doubles, NONE of your Pokémon is running Protect... which is awful, and BP Chains are super awful in doubles... Also... no STAB Vaporeon. Poison Jab is a bad move for Blaziken, as well as Bulk Up and Blaze Kick... and even when Baton Pass is a good option in Singles, it just doesn't work in doubles

Back