Making games for ds/wii?

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Is it possible to make a ds/3ds/wii/wii u game by myself for free or really cheaply?

I know basics of most programming languages so that's not a problem and I know my way around programs like Unity, and another that I can't remember the name of right now.. (The one that's known for making pretty graphic-wise games) :oops:

Does anyone know what program I would need to use and how to test it on the device if it is possible?

Thanks!

You can make homebrew for free on 3DS. Especially if it isn't on 11.0 (if it is, that's still possible but more annoying since a lot of exploits were fixed). Check this website out to see if you can run homebrew or not http://smealum.github.io/3ds/.
Then, developing for it isn't really complicated either. Just see here to get the basic libraries then you'll be able to compile existing homebrew and templates that you can edit (I installed them on Linux though so if you're using something else, I won't be able to help).

It's possible on the other devices you mentioned too but I won't be able to help at all.

I'm trying to make a linux VM working but no luck so far. I have a windows 10 laptop and a windows 8.1 computer. It's annoying when I try and develop anything and I'm trying to get Linux on anything as I heard it's great for devs.

Thanks for the info though, I've never homebrewed any of my devices before, I've known what it is but never gotten aound to doing it. I'll deffinatly look into it though!

Reactions: Jisenku
I'm trying to make a linux VM working but no luck so far. I have a windows 10 laptop and a windows 8.1 computer. It's annoying when I try and develop anything and I'm trying to get Linux on anything as I heard it's great for devs.

Thanks for the info though, I've never homebrewed any of my devices before, I've known what it is but never gotten aound to doing it. I'll deffinatly look into it though!
Take a look at devkitPro. It features (almost) everything you need to make executables for the 3DS, the NDS, and the Wii. Don't exactly know about the Wii U though. Once you've installed it, you'll just have to download libraries (ie. SDL For Wii (Wii, obviously), SF2D/SFIL/SFTD for the 3DS, don't know about the DS...), and compile them via the MSYS toolchain provided with DevKitPro. If that sounds complicated, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'll explain it to you if needed.

Devkitpro can be installed and used on Windows; it's just that it doesn't feel as "easy to use" as on Linux.

Reactions: Kakea
Thanks! I'll take a look at it over this weekend when I get some more time.

Does sound a bt complicated, but I'll take a look and if it's still complicated I'll PM you. Thanks for the help though!

Reactions: D4rkDragon
But first of all, do you have homebrew access on your consoles ? If not, no need to install anything since you won't be able to run it :p
If yes, then glad to see a new contributor to the scene. It's always great to have more people who can prove that hacks don't mean piracy only.

Also, as @D4rkDragon said, everything should work on Windows. I'd advocate Linux over Windows for development anytime (not for games though) but if homebrew is your only reason, maybe it's less annoying to develop on Windows than to install Linux...

Otherwise, if you really want Linux, I advise against VMs. I'd advise to either install it in a dual boot with your current Windows setup (which can be "dangerous" if you install it in the wrong place and it uninstalls your Windows, so that's why I have the second solution) or install it on a USB stick (so you have the installer iso on a stick, it installs to another stick, and you can even unplug your main hard drives during the operation to be sure you're not installing to the wrong place).

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I might make a duel-boot for it, I know how to make them so it wont be that hard.

As for homebrew though I tried yesterday to do it on my 3ds and nothing worked.. It's on the latest update and no matter what I did nothing worked. >.< I'll try and do it on my orignial wii, or on my old ds and hope that still works..

Yeah, a lot of homebrew entrypoints are broken in the latest update. Obviously smashhax works, and supermysterychunkhax is too new to be patched, same for V*hax and that hax on citizens of earth. But smashhax is New 3DS only (not sure if you have an old one or a New one), requires Linux (that second point isn't a limitation for you) and is annoying (basically only use to setup a secondary entrypoint), and the other ones are only secondary so they won't help you right now, except if you know a friend with homebrew access (not even sure if supermysterychunkhax works with powersaves)...

I have an old 3ds and I have no friends with homebrew access. I'll try and find a way and get homebrew access, it'll just take a bit of searching and trial and error, as long as trying something does not end up bricking my 3ds it'll be fine :p

Sorry for double posting but that probably needs bumping before stuff gets patched.
Freakyforms Deluxe is the new Ninjhax.
https://twitter.com/qlutoo/status/738794770210947072
So if you're still interested in homebrew for 3DS, you can get it while it's still on the eShop or not uber expensive in stores ;)

Yeah, I unfortunatly can't buy any games right now. Thanks for letting me know about it though!

Back