Making games

• Thread starter Tsukubaki
  • Start date
Tsukubaki

Tsukubaki

Sister of Hades
Towns Folk
I am currently making clicking games using word web pages on my computer. I have made 2 so far: Medusa's Mousercise and The Gods' World. The next one I intend to make is going to be called Ferriman's Fantasy. The only one so far that does not have mature content is Medusa's Mousercise. The Gods' World I will only allow players 17+ years to play. As for Ferriman's Fantasy, that will likely be adult only,18+. Just because it's a clicking game doesn't mean that the content is ok for everyone. Please understand that. I'm placing age limits on these games for a very good reason. I'm mainly making these games for my boyfriend and me. All I need to do is hope to god that my boyfriend doesn't let my six year old nephew play those two. Especially Ferriman's Fantasy once I make that. Just for your information, that game will NOT be about a sailor living his dream. It's about a male demon named Ferriman who is obsessed with gore and violence, and the player takes his role. As for The Gods' World, that's also a war game, but not even close to measuring up to Ferriman's Fantasy. That game is way worse.

If I ever decide to publish that game, I hope to god that parents won't go buying it for little kids. My niece told me a story that people bring their kids to the store and buy them games like grand theft auto (which would still measure up to Ferriman's Fantasy). This makes me frown. It's not exactly legal, either. At least I don't think it is. And to buy games like these for a kid like my nephew who acts everything out, that's obviously even worse. Remember the rule of thumb about children: they repeat what they see and hear. That's why games like this aren't good for them.

If you are a kid who's playing adult only or mature games, DO NOT post here criticising me. You shouldn't be playing games like that either.

Reactions: Knight Rain
I believe this belongs in the Development section.

Good luck with your game, it sounds interesting. It's funny you use Grand Theft Auto as an example, though; I'm 14 and just got a copy of it today. If a parent believes that their child is mature enough to handle playing mature games I say let them do what they want. Personally, though, if I ever have kids there's no way I'm letting them play games like GTA until I know they're ready.

I understand your concern though, there are plenty of children who play those types of games and are heavily influenced by them. Luckily I never was.

that's true... if i ever have kids i will be the same way. and thanks. i finally finished making The Gods' World. Next up is Ferriman's Fantasy. I will hopefully start that this afternoon (eastern time) but don't know. Depends on if I get my eshop card from the store today or not. If I do, then I will probably start tomorrow. But if I don't, I'll start today sometime. Really want to buy a versus pack for tank tank tank, but don't have enough play coins at this point.

First off, I wish you good luck, last time I tried making games with HTML/JavaScript (or maybe you're using Flash...), it was hard (Plus, I suck at CSS).

But, but, but. You're saying that Ferriman's Fantasy and Gods' World are 17/18+ games. It's nice, but, I think you should probably push the age verification a bit further if you're using something simple like an "prompt". Indeed, it's quite easy to get around it, and without using some kind of API, you're screwed.

Maybe (if yo plan to distribute them online) some IP tracer could help too. Indeed, if a kid register a real-age account and it doesn't work, he'll try a "mature" account. And then comes the IP tracer that could help you "block" the kid's "mature" account.

And yes, sadly, there are many, many, many parents buying games like GTA and CoD to their kids/children, even in France, and we can't do anything about it because the parents never check what's behind the box. So, I think that distributing your game online would be a safer choice, as it will reduce the number of kids wanting to buy the games.

So, to finish, I wish you good luck !

thanks for the tip! i'll be sure to do that when and if i publish the games. i just love making games like this. It's fun, especially when I finish it and get to try it for myself. It's more economical (if that's the right word...) to make my own games this way than it is to buy disk games that take up lots of space on my PC. Lots of space compared to this, anyway.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
thanks for the tip! i'll be sure to do that when and if i publish the games. i just love making games like this. It's fun, especially when I finish it and get to try it for myself. It's more economical (if that's the right word...) to make my own games this way than it is to buy disk games that take up lots of space on my PC. Lots of space compared to this, anyway.

Yes, this is exactly why, even though I generally lack the graphical skills to make a game, I have fun programming small games; you get to understand how it works, bit per bit, and at the end, you get to enjoy your creation and you let others enjoy what you've made. And, yes, that's the advantage of HTML/Flash games: They're so small, and libraries aren't that huge (barely a few Mos/Mbs for the biggest libraries), that you don't need a lot of disk space. Plus, sometimes they're so small that you can put them on a server, and let players have fun with it directly from a web page !

And this, without mentioning how HTML5 is starting to become a useful tool to make games for almost every single platform. Anyway, good to see that you're enjoying what you're doing ;) ! Good luck, and have fun !

thanks! i've finished two so far. still haven't started Ferriman's Fantasy yet, though. mainly because i dont know what's going on yet. i was planning on going to the store sometime this week to buy myself a nintendo eshop card, but the weather here is getting bad and we're under a winter storm warning. but that's just how it goes, i guess.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Back