Gen 6 Masuda Method

• Thread starter Scraggy32
  • Start date
Scraggy32

Scraggy32

Scraggy FTW
Towns Folk
I need some Help with breeding to get Shiny Pokémon, I've been inspired by the efforts of other Pokémon Gamers recently and I hope to try this kind of thing myself. So are there any Tips anyone can give me?

Assuming the title is "Masuda Method" I think you need help setting up the Masuda Breeding process?
Well, in case you don't know, Masuda Method is basically breeding a Japanese Pokemon with a Pokemon of your region (or any region other than Japan I presume). This is said to have an increased chance at hatching a Shiny Pokemon. Here are a few tricks I use when trying to do Masuda Method:

• Use a Japanese Ditto - Since Ditto breeds with pretty much anything, I feel this would be the best Pokemon to use for Masuda Method. They can be found on GTS for relatively cheap costs, I got my Japanese Ditto at the cost of a Surskit.
  • Have a Pokemon with Flame Body when breeding - Because you're required to have 1 Pokemon in your party while breeding, having a Pokemon with Flame Body will increase the rate at which eggs hatch, making the hatching process quicker, so you can hatch your way through to your shiny.
  • Get PokeBank - Trust me when I say this, you will run out of PC boxes, constant breeding will eventually add up to your entire PC to be filled with Pokemon, and that will cause you to stop your entire breeding process just to release about 20 something boxes of Pokemon. Who has time for that? >.< That's why with Pokebank, you don't have to worry about your boxes getting full. You have 300 Boxes to work with, so you won't run out of space anytime soon as well!
  • Get a Shiny Charm - Probably the most recommend thing on this list. The Shiny Charm can be obtained via completing the National Dex, and it doubles the Shiny Encounter Rate. It applies to both catching wild Pokemon and Pokemon you hatch! It's a hassle to get, but once you do it will be so worth it, as shinies come by more often ^-^
That's about all I can think of from the top of my head. I prefer Dexnav hunting for the shinies, but that's another case. Happy hunting!

Reactions: OtakuFallenAngel
There's not much to it really; you just need a Pokemon from your region and another Pokemon from a different region. As with regular breeding they have to be compatible. If you're using say a male Magikarp from Japan and a female Magikarp from the US, the Masuda Method will be in effect during breeding. If you're using a male Magikarp from Japan and a compatible female Pokemon from the US, then Masuda's Method will work again.

This doesn't work when using in-game trades that run the gimmick of being from a different region, so don't try those. Also, remember that the target Pokemon you get will be the female unless you use a Ditto, so best to try for that. For better odds you can try using the Shiny Charm which will boost the odds from 1/1365 to 1/512, but that will require that you've completed the National Dex in your game.

Also, remember that the target Pokemon you get will be the female unless you use a Ditto.
So Basically I need a Japanese Female Pokémon or Ditto?

@Scraggy32 It doesn't matter what region the genders come from; so long as you have two Pokemon from two different regions (Your home region counts as a seperate one so don't worry about getting two Pokemon from different regions to yours,) the Masuda effect will work. All I was stating there was that you make sure to use a target female Pokemon if you're looking to get a shiny of that Pokemon.

Also, it's not just Japanese region exclusive. You can do this with any region; Australia and Germany, US and France, Hawaii and Japan. It doesn't matter what region so long as they're both different.

@Scraggy32 It doesn't matter what region the genders come from; so long as you have two Pokemon from two different regions (Your home region counts as a seperate one so don't worry about getting two Pokemon from different regions to yours,) the Masuda effect will work. All I was stating there was that you make sure to use a target female Pokemon if you're looking to get a shiny of that Pokemon.

Also, it's not just Japanese region exclusive. You can do this with any region; Australia and Germany, US and France, Hawaii and Japan. It doesn't matter what region so long as they're both different.

I never thought of it that way, Thanks! This will help out a lot. :)

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Also to further increase your chances of getting a shiny, make sure that they are the same Pokemon species.

Also to further increase your chances of getting a shiny, make sure that they are the same Pokemon species.

I'm fairly certain that this doesn't increase your chances of getting a shiny Pokemon; if anything all it could possibly do is give the idea of cementing what Pokemon you want to be shiny, but even if you choose to use two you'll always get a Pokemon based on what Pokemon the female is. (Unless you're using a ditto as a partner, then it doesn't matter if the other Pokemon is male or female. You'll always get the non-ditto Pokemon in that instance.)

For the Masuda method, you will need a Japanese or a foreign Ditto. If you don't have a japanese Ditto, you can use the japanese version of the Pokémon you want to breed/their egg group (female version). However, it is recommended that you have a foreign Ditto, as that way the chances of getting a shiny are increased.

After that, just breed the Pokémon. Use the Pokémon with Flame Body for this, as the eggs would hatch a lot faster. Eventually, you should be able to find a shiny.

Just to clarify what @Psydoc said, using a foreign Ditto does not boost the Masuda method's chances of a shiny any higher. It will still be the same regular increase as it would if you were using any other foreign compatible Pokemon.

In fact if anything all it would do is save time looking around for most compatible Pokemon to breed with your target Pokemon since the partner Pokemon will always be the target, regardless of gender.

Assuming the title is "Masuda Method" I think you need help setting up the Masuda Breeding process?
Well, in case you don't know, Masuda Method is basically breeding a Japanese Pokemon with a Pokemon of your region (or any region other than Japan I presume). This is said to have an increased chance at hatching a Shiny Pokemon. Here are a few tricks I use when trying to do Masuda Method:

• Use a Japanese Ditto - Since Ditto breeds with pretty much anything, I feel this would be the best Pokemon to use for Masuda Method. They can be found on GTS for relatively cheap costs, I got my Japanese Ditto at the cost of a Surskit.
  • Have a Pokemon with Flame Body when breeding - Because you're required to have 1 Pokemon in your party while breeding, having a Pokemon with Flame Body will increase the rate at which eggs hatch, making the hatching process quicker, so you can hatch your way through to your shiny.
  • Get PokeBank - Trust me when I say this, you will run out of PC boxes, constant breeding will eventually add up to your entire PC to be filled with Pokemon, and that will cause you to stop your entire breeding process just to release about 20 something boxes of Pokemon. Who has time for that? >.< That's why with Pokebank, you don't have to worry about your boxes getting full. You have 300 Boxes to work with, so you won't run out of space anytime soon as well!
  • Get a Shiny Charm - Probably the most recommend thing on this list. The Shiny Charm can be obtained via completing the National Dex, and it doubles the Shiny Encounter Rate. It applies to both catching wild Pokemon and Pokemon you hatch! It's a hassle to get, but once you do it will be so worth it, as shinies come by more often ^-^
That's about all I can think of from the top of my head. I prefer Dexnav hunting for the shinies, but that's another case. Happy hunting!
Yo dude, you cannot run out of space in the PC boxes because you can do what civilised people do: Release the hatched Pokemon. Anyways, the rest of the tips are good advice and they will help in the cause for hatching a shiny. BTW good luck @Scraggy32 and hope you have immediate success!

Back