Miyamoto's opinion on the Wii U crash

• Thread starter 2205
  • Start date

Still annoyed...
Towns Folk
http://fortune.com/2015/06/23/shigeru-miyamoto-wii-u/

"“I feel like people never really understood the concept behind Wii U and what we were trying to do,” he says. “I think the assumption is we were trying to create a game machine and a tablet and really what we were trying to do was create a game system that gave you tablet-like functionality for controlling that system and give you two screens that would allow different people in the living room to play in different ways. …. Unfortunately, because tablets, at the time, were adding more and more functionality and becoming more and more prominent, this system and this approach didn’t mesh well with the period in which we released it.”"

The article is quite interesting, he mentions NX too but no new information about it.

So they've said themselves that the Wii U was a failure? :eek:

While he does have a point, I think the tablet thing was at its peak in 2011 and 2012 and the Wii U still had a chance of getting out of that; it was just starting out back then. Like the article says, everyone has a theory on what went wrong and the simplest one is that the name caused too much confusion. Before its release, so many people thought it was going to be a Wii add-on and because of that they lost interest.

It's ridiculous for anyone to think Nintendo should quit the hardware business over this, though. They have done so well with handhelds.

It's interesting to see that Nintendo admits it is a failure yes. I didn't know the gamecube didn't sell really well though, I wasn't aware of this.

But yes, Nintendo makes great handhelds, the best ones IMO, the good balance between quality, price, features and games.

The wii u wasn't the most hottest system at the time of it's release. It only recently got popular around 2014 with the release of games that caught people's attention, such as MK8, Smash U, and more. After 2 or 3 years of being in the market it's finally starting to get some popularity amongst it's fans which is kind of deperessing. Miyamoto was also correct on the fact that tablets being popular at the time of Wii U's release may have interefered with its success as a console with a tablet like controller.

Back