MMMs' Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review

• Thread starter MMMs
  • Start date
MMMs

MMMs

After 2 years, I'm Back!
Towns Folk
Honestly speaking, I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter, Hence, haven't played the previous installments. I always watch my classmates play it with their PSPs before I got them to "convert" to 3DS lol Anyways, I used to see Monster Hunter as a game where you beat the snot out of Monsters by spamming attacks that doesn't, rarely, flinches monsters till they die. I kind of thought of it as being repetitive like Pokemon.

After trying the Demo of Monster Hunter 4 out, it's not as bad as I thought it would. They offer a lot of customization, weapons and heck they REALLY have a lot of weaponry in the game. The game even has CATS!
I mean cats that fight at your side? How cool is that!?

Next up is the graphics department, the graphics is REALLY REALLY (I said it twice because...) SMOOTH!
I mean like 60 FPS smooth. with stuff cluttered, moving animation around, and yet, the game STILL runs smooth without much of a single lag that disrupts your game.

Gameplay wise, the game is, like I mentioned before, hit monsters with your weapons till they fall. They have these quests that gives you "meaning" to the game. You complete quests to do tougher challenges like bigger, stronger and meaner monsters like the Gore Magala in the Monster Hunter 4 Demo

My opinion about the game really changed when I started playing the demo and take note, again, that this is my first ever Monster Hunter game in the installment and I regret not playing the previous installments back when I had my PSP lol

I'll rate the game as 9.5 /10

+Smooth Graphics

+ Harder than previous Monster Hunter games, as I've heard

+ Challenging

x Repetitive

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Good review; you made it personal without sounding self-indulgent. It's great for people who want a less-than-matronly answer to 'Should I buy it?' :thumbsup:

I'm going to ask to get this game next time someone here goes on holiday :D

Reactions: MMMs
I was playing the demo version of this game with @AliTheAce and @Raptor98. I kind of like it. I mean, I'm a complete noob and there's no way of button mashing out of this one, But it makes me wanna try it out :p. I want to buy it, but I fear not getting the hang of it. I've played the demo a few times, and I still have yet to learn how to do combos and stuff cx. Is this game too complicated? Or does it just take time to get used to?

Also, Nice review! It's cool that this is your first MH game, and I hoped to be hyped about it like you too :D

Reactions: 532
I was playing the demo version of this game with @AliTheAce and @Raptor98. I kind of like it. I mean, I'm a complete noob and there's no way of button mashing out of this one, But it makes me wanna try it out :p. I want to buy it, but I fear not getting the hang of it. I've played the demo a few times, and I still have yet to learn how to do combos and stuff cx. Is this game too complicated? Or does it just take time to get used to?

Also, Nice review! It's cool that this is your first MH game, and I hoped to be hyped about it like you too :D
It's pretty complicated, however it's based off of how much time you're willing to invest into learning it. There are a LOT of variables the affect the outcome of the battle. Eg: You will have to kill some monsters to get better armour. Sometimes, some monsters have very durable hides, so you will need to keep your weapon sharp. You'll need to learn the weakness/weak point of a monster. However, if you're able to get all that information and put it in action, you will have moments so epic that will take your breath away.
The co-op is a VERY handy feature, as G-Rank quests are nearly impossible without friends. Each person is vital in every quest; one can distract the enemy, one can help heal you up, one can set up traps, and one can attack the distracted enemy.
The demo does not accurately represent the full gaem, as the full game haas aspects of crafting, mining etc.

Reactions: 3823
If you'd like some more insight, here'sa comment I found on IGN:

"MH Veteran Here (I've played every MH including those exclusive to Japan).

First know that MH is not a game, its a phenomenon. In Japan you'll see "Monster Hunter" as often as you see the word "Disney" in the US. If you pull out a 3DS on the subway there are going to be 5 others around you ready to jump into a quest.

The reason why it has not caught on in the west is quite simply, the game is designed for Japanese adolescents with an average IQ equal to American doctors. Its a game for those not satisfied with melting braincells on the ignoramus titles that fly off the shelves in America. MH is one of the most deep and complex games ever made.

There are several misconceptions about this game. One is "the controls are awkward". This is not true. The controls are tight but this is a skill-based game, like call of duty (No one jumps into their first deathmatch ever and gets 25 kills and 2 deaths). This skill is what drives some to work harder & face the pain - find stones to sharpen their blade and some half decent armor they throw together. Then die over and over until that magic moment when the beast thats been haunting you screams its final roar and falls to the ground. Then you carve out its scales to see what jaw dropping gorgeous equipment the smith can make out if its carcass. (I've never seen a game that can hold a candle to the detailed weapon and armor design in MH)

This game is about epic moments. I'll never forget my first big kill when I swatted at a Kut-Ku with a rusty blade until it fell.

For me monster hunter is like the best end-game monster ever made. A giant epic battle of awesomeness. That epic moment spread across an entire game that you can play with friends. You play MMOs and it's like, you're never actually having fun the game just makes you think you are. How did you get that armor? Oh you went on a long line of fetch quests and some guy gave it to you as a reward? I got this armor because I ripped the scales off of a giant terrifying monster with my bare hands and had the smith craft armor out of them. Monster Hunter is kind of like the only MMO where you're having actual fun and not just tricked into thinking you are.

The demo is stupid. You are given equipment you didn't earn to kill a high tier monster that you're not ready to face - and get no reward for killing. Don't play the demo, just don't.

the 3D is a gimmick, I turn it off. You don't need the 3D to enjoy the game. I've been waiting to see it on the PS3 for literally 10 years, I'm not holding any hope for PS4. China is developing a modern PC version that won't ever come to America. Nintendo is brilliant for buying the franchise, but I don't understand why they cancelled it for the Wii U. Regardless, MH4U is a golden gift to the US - the latest version of the game and only a few months after the JP release.

MH4U will be one of the best games to ever come out in America but on a console that only kids own in the US. I lost my hope for a breakout in the US about 7 years ago. I have more confidence that I'll actually start learning Japanese. I don't even see the Japanese anymore, its like the Matrix code I just see - claw, fang, sword. I'll start playing this game on October 13 when my JP copy arrives.

If you think that you're the kind of person that can appreciate MH, and you haven't tried it yet, grab yourself a copy while you can."

Reactions: StrawberryMilk
Back