Monster Hunter Stories: Platinum tournaments made easy

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
so i did a bit of research and it seems like people are raging at platinum tournaments because of some AI shenanigans. the reason most people do these is for the tickets needed to upgrade certain armors (i needed some on my fatalis gear including the hunting horn) and others might be doing it for completion, but its honestly not as bad as some are saying it is. theres a very easy way to go about any offline PVP fight in this game and its really straightforward as well.

the best way to win this stuff is to focus on attacking the person--any high level monster with powerful AOEs can one shot a person or KO at a maximum of two hits especially with your element bingos ready. if traps are too big a nuisance either use kirin and oroshi kirin, or use stygian zinogre's moves that arent classed into speed/power/ technical, etc. just any nuetral category attack that does plenty of damage will work fine. make sure your overall defense is 80+ on your person since there will only be a few non elemental attacks that might one shot you if youre any lower. i got hit by a black diablos kinship attack and this OHKO'd my person and my base defense was 120 (i used my fatalis armor which is my definitive favorite and ive been hit by attacks that it has a small element penalty to and still survived while this black diablos decided it was ok for her to one shot me when she has no element...). fortunately this only happened once and i had only lost one heart during this run, but make sure youre upgraded enough since people with lower tier armors than i had will definitely get instant killed by something like this... just something to be aware of.

the other reason you shouldnt spend a lot of time attacking the opposing monsters in these battles is because the AI has a very bad tendency to panic switch when one of their monsters get low HP and they will also use mega potions on them sometimes as well (switching seems more common though). and many of these about halfway through the tournament will be way too durable and you will waste too much time and effort just to have them heal their monsters or switch at the last second before a faint. the person can never take nearly as many hits as their monsters are able to and this makes wins a lot easier even in platinum rank offline and this is why AOE's ruin them and so do multi hits (probably even more so). im going to guess the reason people struggled with platinum is because of either not understanding to limit attacking the monster and instead focus on hitting the person, they were too underlevelled and poor armor upgrades (this obviously leads to one shots halfway through... not a good idea), or they just didnt have even moderately well built monsters.

i went in with kirin, black gravios and stygian zinogre and didnt have any notable excess of issues winning every time. as long as the monsters youre using are at least rare 4+ and youre levelled adequately (or very high like me) with enough armor upgrades you shouldnt have too many problems. its also not wise to risk too many head to heads here unless you understand the (seemingly inconsistent) AI patterns in each of the fights. tbh i think the final round in the puzzle drake cup was a lot worse than any of the battles in the standard platinum tournament, the special DLC monster spammed a very strong AOE and i had a couple close calls because of it but i ended up winning by doing what i suggested here--attack the person as much as possible. it makes all of this a lot easier than people think it does. only attack the monsters to leech kinship and never try to spam the HTH since even two mistakes can make this a very dangerous choice

Back