Most useless mario powerup/items to date

• Thread starter freezebot
  • Start date
freezebot

freezebot

PineappleDoggo <3
Towns Folk
Well even through every Mario powerup is very helpful and memorable to us, Other Mario powerups are just useless in every way except in that 1 stage and beside that they are just bad. 1: coins, Let's be real, coins give you extra lives and all that but seriously, In a Mario game it's hard to get game over unless you're really bad at the game or you try to kill yourself . 2: lightbox, It's it literally useless unless your screen is dark and even then you can turn your brightness up. 3 The p balloon powerup from super Mario world, it just lets you fly up in the air for a certain amount of time and anything will pop you, the reason this is so useless in that game was because you had a better, easier to control powerup which was much more fun to use.

Well even through every Mario powerup is very helpful and memorable to us, Other Mario powerups are just useless in every way except in that 1 stage and beside that they are just bad. 1: coins, Let's be real, coins give you extra lives and all that but seriously, In a Mario game it's hard to get game over unless you're really bad at the game or you try to kill yourself . 2: lightbox, It's it literally useless unless your screen is dark and even then you can turn your brightness up. 3 The p balloon powerup from super Mario world, it just lets you fly up in the air for a certain amount of time and anything will pop you, the reason this is so useless in that game was because you had a better, easier to control powerup which was much more fun to use.

Hmm, this is kinda a tough question for me, but i do recall not being too crazy about the spring mushroom in Mario galaxy. The reason for this is because its so hard for me to control mario unless i go slower, it was pretty easy to run into stuff with this from my own experience. It wasn't useless per say, but it was a bit of a drag trying to navigate levels with it in my opinion.

Reactions: Mikaya
The Skeleton Key from Mario Party 2 and 3.

I mean, seriously, why do I need THREE OF THEM? Gee, thanks, Toad/Baby Bowser.

Unless you're at a specific point on the map, it just sits in your inventory, taking up space. Most of the time it's completely useless.
...I guess that isn't a power-up item, but it is still useless. ^^;

Let's see...
The spring mushroom: Dear god what were nintendo thinking? Annoying to control and a stupid concept.
The Ice flower: Penguin suit does the exact same thing
The P balloon: Makes mario float really... slowly... but its worse in Super Mario 64 DS

While I really liked the spring Mario power-up in Super Mario Galaxy, it didn't do much more than limit your mobility in all directions but up. I couldn't tell you how many times I fell off the stage because of a poorly placed jump leading to an edge and then a black hole...

Oh man I remember that Spring Mushroom in Super Mario Galaxy. I cannot count how many times I've raged at the screen to make the Spring actually jump. Not to mention how hard it is to control it. Yeah I really disliked this item in the Mario Galaxy series. What was Nintendo even thinking? Did they think that it was a good idea?

Nintendo Person: Hey I have an idea. Lets make a spring mushroom thats impossible to use.

Another Nintendo Guy: PERFECT

Reactions: Kadaj
I think everyone will agree with me when I say that the Spring Mushroom was the weirdest and quite possible the dumbest power up ever to be introduced in a Mario game. It was impossible to use, it was a waste of a power up, and for the first time in a Mario game, I dreaded playing levels that required it. Also a SUPER DUMB power up (if you can even call it that) was the Poison Mushroom. I mean, what idiot would want to pick that up in a Mario game?In fact, at least the Spring Mushroom somewhat helped you get places. The Poison Mushroom is bad, no matter what Mario game you're playing.

Oh man I remember that Spring Mushroom in Super Mario Galaxy. I cannot count how many times I've raged at the screen to make the Spring actually jump. Not to mention how hard it is to control it. Yeah I really disliked this item in the Mario Galaxy series. What was Nintendo even thinking? Did they think that it was a good idea?

Nintendo Person: Hey I have an idea. Lets make a spring mushroom thats impossible to use.

Another Nintendo Guy: PERFECT
yeah i was pretty good at mario galaxy and even i agree that the spring mushroom makes the stages pretty aggravating to traverse through, not only does it feel awkward trying to control mario with this powerup, but the timing with the spring jump also feels pretty goofy (and we have very limited movement speed but this might be for the better here as if they adjusted it so we move faster i personally could see that making this worse). another problem is trying to accurately angle your jumps to reach certain places which is also annoying as you could jump but end up missing your target and either die or lose a lot of progress falling very far downstairs. tbh its pretty strange that this item was even put into mario galaxy, couldnt they give us something that made more sense and less annoying trying to control well?

Reactions: Shiny
Is it weird that i liked spring mario? Maybe i just like a challenge, even if its hard for stupid reasons.

Reactions: Jisenku, Dowhat? and Kadaj
Ground Pound- I mean mario already basically kills things by jumping on them, pounding them is just like extra bad jump. Really.

The poison mushroom, so just listen or read, anyways when you all played super Mario the lost levels and you saw that purple mushroom, none of you thought about it poisoning you, you might of just thought it was a new powerup, or something like that, than you let it touch you and than :thumbsdown: :dead:

Tiny mushroom. I hate how you’d have to use it to unlock certain areas, and it anything 1 hits you

Reactions: AricAttack
Blue Shell for how rare it is. It's not even in SMM2 as far as I know. It's useless because it's not used more and it just drains your expectations after you play the later games. It's not like in Wario Land 2 and onward where all your skills are used with well designed stages over and over in different ways.

For me, it's got to be the statue leaf. What's the point of getting everything a Tanooki Mario can do and worsening(TM) it?

For me, it's got to be the statue leaf. What's the point of getting everything a Tanooki Mario can do and worsening(TM) it?
fire wont hurt you

Just reading about the Spring Mushroom makes me unhappy... I definitely hated that in Galaxy. I'm a big fan of precision games and challenges usually, but my enjoyment of them comes from controls that are manageable. The Spring Mushroom was not manageable.

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior
Just reading about the Spring Mushroom makes me unhappy... I definitely hated that in Galaxy. I'm a big fan of precision games and challenges usually, but my enjoyment of them comes from controls that are manageable. The Spring Mushroom was not manageable.
Oh man I loved that power up, mainly because it was funny seeing Mario bounce around. If there was a third galaxy game I hope they bring it back for a level or two.

I was able to control it pretty well, but it definitely took time. I think the levels where Mario was on a ball was the worst ones, the motion controls just sucked with precisely moving Mario.

I get the spring mushroom is lame, but honestly so is the frog suit from Mario 3. Yeah, you go faster in water, but not only are there very few water levels in the game, the "improved" water controls you get from using the frog suit really aren't any better than your basic swimming controls. I'd also like to mention how it hinders your movement on land, but I'm not really taking points off for that since its kinda expected.

Reactions: AricAttack
1. The mini mushroom power up from all the new super mario bros game series. The only reason you would need this power up is to get secret things like getting a star coin. This power up is challenging to use and is a pain.
2. The blueshell in new super mario bros is very hard to control. You go back and foward if you hit a wall. Again this gimmick is to use for secret areas and isn't worth having.
3. The frogsuit in super mario bros 3, the only thing this is good for is swimming underwater. While on land you go super slowly and you are vulnerable to getting hit by a boomerang bro.

Yoshi. Come at me. (only sometimes though >. <

Back