Movie recommendations

• Thread starter MindzEye
  • Start date
MindzEye

MindzEye

Pssst. I was gone for almost a year. XD
Towns Folk
Come one, come all! Ask and suggest, it's time for movie recommendations!

That's right. Just like the game recommendations post, only for movies! Post the genre(s), actor(s) and/or directors you like, and hopefully someone can come along with a recommendation. (For those of you recommending, describe why it is you're recommending the movie(s). Give a rating or something. Feel free to note any memorable scenes or particular facts about the movie, but spoil anything that may be important to the viewing experience.)

Thread edit
Descriptions can extend to the manner in which the movie is seen: 1st person, found footage, common plot aspects or certain twists.
Film type is also optional - live or CG, animated, semi-animated, surreal, cartoon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, try Moon.

Do not look up the trailer. Do not look up the plot. Do NOT read the wikipedia page. Just watch it. The less you know about it, the better it is. The movie is SF but not set in the far future at all. It is much more 50 years from now than it would be laser-swords and all. I can also tell you that it is creepy but not the jumpscare type of creepy. Why should you see it? Because it is a truely astounding movie.

For the more 'fun'/less serious movies, Spy is a lot better than I expected. When somebody makes a spy-comedy it's probably going to be cheesy as hell, right? Well, no. This movie is actually funny and the plot is intriguing enough to make it a true spy movie. A little warning though, there will be horrible stereotypes and a total douche. Surprise. ;)

For those who haven't seen them yet the Nolan Batman Trilogy. (Batman begins, the Dark Knight Rises, the Dark Knight) Awesome, plot, Batman, great believable villains, ninjas, Batman, intriguing scenes, awesome gadgets, BATMAN. :D

Reactions: MindzEye
Could you recommend an exciting film where the viewer learns of the plot at the same pace as the protagonist? Preferably action oriented, but whatever kicks up the adrenaline.
I've seen Collateral: A wicked movie about a taxi driver (Jamie Foxx) getting caught up in a hitman's destructive trail. (Tom Cruise)

Unknown was pretty cool too. That one starred Liam Neeson as a reknowned doctor suddenly being targeted by agent-like rogues.
Whatever the protagonist's situation is, whether he/she has amnesia or was simply drug into the thick of something, I'm not picky or anything.

Moon is a film where you learn what is happing at the same pace as the protagonist but it isn't quite action packed. There is some action but it's not a real action movie. I don't watch that many action movies. But I'll kep it in mind.

Okay, try Moon.

Do not look up the trailer. Do not look up the plot. Do NOT read the wikipedia page. Just watch it. The less you know about it, the better it is.
Just to be sure, Kevin Spacey and Sam Rockwell are in this movie, yes? Just double-checking before adding to a wish-list.

Just to be sure, Kevin Spacey and Sam Rockwell are in this movie, yes? Just double-checking before adding to a wish-list.
Yes they are! :D

Drive
Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Genre: Neo Noir/Thriller
Cast: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston, Ron Perlman, Oscar Issac, Albert Brooks

Drive is about a mysterious man with a shady past who has quite a few jobs; he's a garage mechanic, a Hollywood stuntman and a getaway driver. Despite what the title, description and movie trailers might have you to believe, Drive is not what you would expect, it may contain scenes of ultraviolence but I personally wouldn't consider it an action movie, along with the reasons above, labeling Drive an action movie could just be another aspect of the film that ends up incredibly misleading. Drive is both moody and atmospheric, well directed and stylized, slow paced and with sparse amounts of dialogue and it has an ending that will most likely leave you with an great sense of emptiness. I don't think Drive is a film for everyone, it definitely doesn't appeal to the average movie goer, but to the people who read this post and thought something along the lines of

KtTlUGK.gif

Then I wholeheartedly give Drive my full recommendation as I believe it's a must watch for any film buff/connoisseur.

If you love the horror genre try watching the movie krampus. It's really good and I watched it in theaters.

If you love the horror genre try watching the movie krampus. It's really good and I watched it in theaters.
I'm betting you're a horror fan as well! ;)
Looking for anything special? I'll be happy to help.

Watch "Usual Suspects"

Last edited:
Gee... I guess everybody knows what they want to watch.

But seriously though, if a user on here is looking for a movie and needs recommendations, (like I had,)
they're totally welcome to come and ask about one, with the promise that a helpful user can come along and answer.

Back