AC:NH My feelings on new horizons after 5 months

• Thread starter Deepak
  • Start date
Deepak

Deepak

Professional procrastinator
Towns Folk
So the game has been out for around 5 months and i think thats more than enough time to judge the game. There was a huge animal crossing hype before and when it came out but it has started to die down a bit. Theres still a HUGE batch of people that play every single day but not as much as in march or april. I think this has to do with the fact that people have run out of things to do or they just dont want to collect every single thing in the game cuz they think that its boring. And the recent updates were good but they weren't really big and didn't add too much content. The april update with leif on the other hand, added TONS of new stuff to do and it kept players engaged. I get that nintendo is trying to keep players engaged for years by slowly releasing updates every now and then but some people got really disappointed when they found out that their favorite feature from past games didnt return. They will be added in the future probably, but no one knows when and some people just dont have the patience. The game still is fun but some people have already finished upgrading all their shops, decorating their island to their hearts content, and maybe even donated everything to the museum. If nintendo wants those people to pick up the game and start playing again, they have to release a pretty bug update with lots of new collectibles and feature. And one thing that i cant believe is still missing in the game is multiplayer games. You can visit friends islands and everything but it gets boring after a couple of times and the only real use is for trading. Multiplayer games would be perfect with 8 people multiplayer and stuff and i feel that it shouldve been added when the game was released. Many people say that previous games had more content, but thats not really true as new horizons has lots of new features that make up for all the missing content. So my feelings on the game is that, its really fun, but i think that nintendo hasnt been updating the game enough to keep players that rush, engaged. This will likely change with the october update. Lets see...

Reactions: Mizunil
Nintendo knows exactly what they’re doing. The reason all those features aren’t present is so that they can release them slowly over the course of months or maybe years. It’s to bring those people who burn themselves out back to the game, and it seems to be working. People complain and stop playing, but always come back. At least some do, anyway.

Personally, I still play every day. Water the flowers I’m trying to grow, see if Gulliver or Gullivarrr are in my town, and check my shops. Maybe talk to my villagers if I can find them.

For me, Animal Crossing is a long-term kind of game. It’s not a game to be “beaten”, there is no finish line. It’s meant to be enjoyed slowly over time. By playing the game like it’s meant to be played, I haven’t gotten burnt-out in New Horizons whatsoever.

It seems like people hugged their copies to death in that first month, wringing every last drop of content they could squeeze out of it by any means. However, the game itself is structured to be enjoyed over time.

Reactions: Deepak
I remember when the game first came out, my friends and I were super excited for it (we all played day 1). We would stay up til like 3 am talking to each other through discord while playing, sharing tips we would randomly pick up, giving each other gifts, and whatnot. We would also share ideas for our islands, and every day we would visit one of our islands just to see what was new, buy from the shops, etc.

For my friends, that lasted for about 2-3 weeks before they got bored of it and dropped the game lol. But I still loved playing it every day, so I tried looking for other people to play it with too (fun fact: that's the reason i joined Nintenpedia! :D)

I guess that for some people, it's easy to get burned out on a game like this especially if you play it non-stop and don't pace yourself. You kinda get to do everything that you want to immediately, and it becomes draggy or even boring to continue when it's the same things over and over again.

When the updates started coming out I asked my friends if they wanna check out the new stuff with me, but they just said that the updates don't feel big enough or that they feel it's just the same old game. I hope that in the future (maybe by December or maybe even March?) the updates will be plentiful and "big" enough so that my friends and even other people would go and revisit the game and maybe fall in love with it again. :D

The updates are nice as it does keep the longevity of the game to those dedicated but my only complaint is the Furniture sets aren't there anymore.
I miss all the themes and furniture there was, modern set, kiddie set, having the entire main room as a chess board. But all the customization options are nice at least
Also Nooks store really needs to be upgraded again.

I played it endlessly over the first few months, but recently, I just go back every few days, as I have decided to try and get all the hybrid flowers. For the first month I was on it for up to 10 hours some days... as I am sure a lot of players were. It is interesting to see all the updates, although I think Redd has given up on selling art. I only have 3 items from him. I have started a game on our other Switch so my kids can have an island, on the other hemisphere, and it is weird going back to the beginning... Am still debating getting another copy so we can play together as same island multiplayer is a bit weird.

Back