RMT / Team Help My First OU Team

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
Jack

Jack

♪ I think I'll try defying gravity ♪
Towns Folk
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I've never done much with competitive Pokemon. Anyway, I just created my first ever real OU Team. I have sort of done OU teams before, but I had never taken it seriously. I would just throw in any OU Pokemon, regardless of how they worked with the other Pokemon on my team. So this is the first time I've taken it somewhat seriously.

Sharknado (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

OleIronsides (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Bangerz (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Sparky (Manectric) (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Eww a Bug (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

2K (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot

Also, here's a Pokemon Showdown match in which I used this team. I didn't play particularly well but the replay makes me happy :^)

EDIT: That awkward moment when you forgot to actually link the battle

Please leave any thoughts on my team, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! ^-^

Last edited:
Okay so the pokemon all fit the OU meta pretty well and the team has a solid synergy
though there are a few problems here and there which i would like to tell you,

• Your Garchomp is a defensive one to set up stealth rocks and toxic right?,now in a meta filled with Fairy type users and ice type users its a bad idea to use a dragon type as a defensive pokemon (Goodra being an exception) a ferrowthorn would suit you better here it can do the same things but have better defenses and also spikes or T.spikes.
  • Your Bisharp has 3 dark moves so he basically lacks coverage if he is put up against something that resists dark or is immune to dark you would be in a bind,i would suggest taking off either knock off or pursuit and replacing it with a better move.also try changing the item to something like a lifeorb its much more versatile.
  • a quick tip for scizior would be changing Defog to Superpower unless your team direly needs defog which most teams dont and having a slow pokemon use defog isn't a good idea.
  • Lastly,your togekiss has a very clear problem in which it has only one attacking move,thats a waste of its ability.not a lot of teams run stall pokemon so a stallbreaker set isnt really needed that often,change either t.wave or nasty plot for another attacking move that would help cover togekiss's weakness or if you would rather go for moon blast to get rid of dragons and give togekiss a nice STAB move.

PS.thats just some points i thought i should tell you about anyway i am not sure if this is a ORAS team or its on showdown but if you wanna try it out you can call me to battle.

Reactions: Jack and Marc
and replacing it with a better move.also try changing the item to something like a lifeorb its much more versatile.
For item suggestions, you might want to consider :
  • Assault Vest - for the SP DEF boost since you're not using any non-damaging moves.
  • Air Balloon - for free switch-ins to common earthquakes if predicted properly. Manectite can volt switch out to it.
  • Life Orb - for the additional damage if item clause isn't in effect.

Reactions: Jack
I think you need to replace garchomp with a better defensive poke. Not ferrothorn unless you want to switch some other pokes because that would be 3 pokemon with a fire type weakness. Also I think you should replace bisharps pursuit with swords dance, that is what I use and it works quite well. I think pursuit is a bit too situational and a bit useless.

Okay so the pokemon all fit the OU meta pretty well and the team has a solid synergy
though there are a few problems here and there which i would like to tell you,

• Your Garchomp is a defensive one to set up stealth rocks and toxic right?,now in a meta filled with Fairy type users and ice type users its a bad idea to use a dragon type as a defensive pokemon (Goodra being an exception) a ferrowthorn would suit you better here it can do the same things but have better defenses and also spikes or T.spikes.
  • Your Bisharp has 3 dark moves so he basically lacks coverage if he is put up against something that resists dark or is immune to dark you would be in a bind,i would suggest taking off either knock off or pursuit and replacing it with a better move.also try changing the item to something like a lifeorb its much more versatile.
  • a quick tip for scizior would be changing Defog to Superpower unless your team direly needs defog which most teams dont and having a slow pokemon use defog isn't a good idea.
  • Lastly,your togekiss has a very clear problem in which it has only one attacking move,thats a waste of its ability.not a lot of teams run stall pokemon so a stallbreaker set isnt really needed that often,change either t.wave or nasty plot for another attacking move that would help cover togekiss's weakness or if you would rather go for moon blast to get rid of dragons and give togekiss a nice STAB move.

PS.thats just some points i thought i should tell you about anyway i am not sure if this is a ORAS team or its on showdown but if you wanna try it out you can call me to battle.

Garchomp I intend to use mainly as a lead. The idea behind it is to get stealth rocks up, toxic the opposing lead, and then hit the opponent with whatever strength he has left, but you're right, I might think about making it more offensive.

I agree it certainly looks like Bisharp has too man Dark-type attacks. The only problem is I like Knock Off and Pursuit both so much, they're both so useful in different situations. I do like its current setup, but once I play more I'll see if the 3 Dark-type attacks are to unbalanced.

I didn't really know what to do about Scizor, I really wanted a Defog-er since hazards are annoying to deal with. I know Smogon recommended Superpower over Defog, but I didn't understand why. Is there a reason Superpower is better? The only advantage I can see is that it's super effective against Normal-type Pokemon.

I agree that Togekiss is possibly too defensive, I think it's probably a good idea to get rid of Thunder Wave, as I can't so that move doing very much.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Garchomp I intend to use mainly as a lead. The idea behind it is to get stealth rocks up, toxic the opposing lead, and then hit the opponent with whatever strength he has left, but you're right, I might think about making it more offensive.

I didn't really know what to do about Scizor, I really wanted a Defog-er since hazards are annoying to deal with. I know Smogon recommended Superpower over Defog, but I didn't understand why. Is there a reason Superpower is better? The only advantage I can see is that it's super effective against Normal-type Pokemon.

Thank you for the suggestions!

The way you described garchomp is how people usually use scolipede as it is faster and more efficient but on the downside its just as fragile.

Superpower is great because a lot of people use rock,steel and even normal types as heavy defensive pokemon superpower is super effective on all of them,while hazards are annoying i think dealing with opposing pokemon should be your priority.

Reactions: 18388
Back