My Review of Super Mario Bros 35

• Thread starter Deepak
  • Start date
Deepak

Deepak

Professional procrastinator
Towns Folk
Super mario bros 35
I was watching the mario 35th anniversary direct when all of a sudden a brand new game was announced: Super mario bros 35. No one was expecting it. It was such an obscure game. But I immediately thought of tetris 99 when I saw it. And when it came out yesterday and I played it, i found it far different from tetris 99.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 1.30.21 PM.png

Basic how to play
One thing this has in common with tetris 99, is the lack of a proper tutorial. So here's another simple one. This plays just like a normal mario platformer: you jump on enemies, hit blocks, use powerups etc.. But the twist is that you play with 34 other people. Each enemy you defeat goes to another player's screen and you will also receive enemies from other players. So you want to defeat as much enemies as possible without dying. There's also a timer, so keep an eye on that. You lose when you fall or when an enemy hits you (when you don't have a mushroom).

Gameplay
You collect coins but what's the use? You can either spend 20 coins during the game for a random powerup, or you can save them for later. Before each game, you have the option to buy a powerup that you get at the beginning of the game. But it's only for one game and you're not guaranteed your coins back. So it's a risk-reward system. The timer slowly ticks down but you can earn more time by getting extra powerups or defeating enemies. And just like in tetris 99, you can target specific players with the left stick or use the right stick to target either: people with the lowest time, people with the most coins, your attackers, or a random person. The game only ends when you die, or if you're the last mario alive.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 1.29.34 PM.png

Other features
There are daily challenges you can do to earn quite a bit of coins. And before every game, you can choose which stage you want to start on but your options are only stage you have cleared previously. You also have icons that you unlock periodically which you can display on your profile publicly. And for those struggling, there's a practice mode which you can use to play the courses without the chaos. There are even some nifty features like your stats to see how many enemies you defeated, how long you've played etc.... and a place to see your rank among all the other players. There's even a special battle mode which is just like the normal mode but with some small changes like starting with 20 coins.

Final verdict
I suck at mario. But that didn't stop me from enjoying this game. Chaos is always fun. If you're looking for a normal platformer experience, this is not for you. If you're looking for a chaotic multiplayer twist on a classic game, this is definitely for you. You must have a switch online membership to play but other than that, it's free. One important thing to note however is that this is only available for a limited time. You won't be able to play it after March 31st. So enjoy the game while you can!

Super mario bros 35
I was watching the mario 35th anniversary direct when all of a sudden a brand new game was announced: Super mario bros 35. No one was expecting it. It was such an obscure game. But I immediately thought of tetris 99 when I saw it. And when it came out yesterday and I played it, i found it far different from tetris 99.

View attachment 20915

Basic how to play
One thing this has in common with tetris 99, is the lack of a proper tutorial. So here's another simple one. This plays just like a normal mario platformer: you jump on enemies, hit blocks, use powerups etc.. But the twist is that you play with 34 other people. Each enemy you defeat goes to another player's screen and you will also receive enemies from other players. So you want to defeat as much enemies as possible without dying. There's also a timer, so keep an eye on that. You lose when you fall or when an enemy hits you (when you don't have a mushroom).

Gameplay
You collect coins but what's the use? You can either spend 20 coins during the game for a random powerup, or you can save them for later. Before each game, you have the option to buy a powerup that you get at the beginning of the game. But it's only for one game and you're not guaranteed your coins back. So it's a risk-reward system. The timer slowly ticks down but you can earn more time by getting extra powerups or defeating enemies. And just like in tetris 99, you can target specific players with the left stick or use the right stick to target either: people with the lowest time, people with the most coins, your attackers, or a random person. The game only ends when you die, or if you're the last mario alive.

View attachment 20916

Other features
There are daily challenges you can do to earn quite a bit of coins. And before every game, you can choose which stage you want to start on but your options are only stage you have cleared previously. You also have icons that you unlock periodically which you can display on your profile publicly. And for those struggling, there's a practice mode which you can use to play the courses without the chaos. There are even some nifty features like your stats to see how many enemies you defeated, how long you've played etc.... and a place to see your rank among all the other players. There's even a special battle mode which is just like the normal mode but with some small changes like starting with 20 coins.

Final verdict
I suck at mario. But that didn't stop me from enjoying this game. Chaos is always fun. If you're looking for a normal platformer experience, this is not for you. If you're looking for a chaotic multiplayer twist on a classic game, this is definitely for you. You must have a switch online membership to play but other than that, it's free. One important thing to note however is that this is only available for a limited time. You won't be able to play it after March 31st. So enjoy the game while you can!
Lmao, this looks like a modded version of Super Mario Bros if taken without context. Like WOAH where did these guys come from??!! Anyway, yeah I thought the same thing! It definitely borrowed some traits from Tetris 99, but if you say it's different, I'll take your word for it :p

Lmao, this looks like a modded version of Super Mario Bros if taken without context. Like WOAH where did these guys come from??!! Anyway, yeah I thought the same thing! It definitely borrowed some traits from Tetris 99, but if you say it's different, I'll take your word for it :p
Gameplay-wise, it's completely different (because one's mario and the other's tetris). But there are a few similarities. You should play it and see.

Reactions: Sunny_Meows
I think I'm starting to go over my lifetime dose of World 1-1

mah.jpg

Reactions: Jisenku and Deepak
Super mario bros 35

View attachment 20915

Basic how to play

Gameplay

View attachment 20916

Other features

Final verdict
Ok, so I played Mario 35 earlier, and it was fun! It took a while for me to find out that you can use the stick instead of the buttons tho :panda:. I spent a good 1 to 2 hours with it on handheld mode. The highest rank I got was 2nd place :panda:.

On a kind of related note, I found out that my Switch Online Membership had expired. It gave me a shock, since I didn't have a credit/debit card outside of the one my school gave me, and the nearest store I know that sells Switch Online or eshop gift cards is a city away. Luckily, I had some leftover funds, so I should be good for a year.

Reactions: Jisenku and Deepak

When I first saw a video of this game, I was super confused at what it is, so you're definitely right to say that this looks like a modded version of super mario bros with no understanding.

Reactions: Deepak
It seems really fun; I wish I could play it. I think they used different physics than the original game to make it more friendly to players.

Reactions: Deepak
It seems really fun; I wish I could play it. I think they used different physics than the original game to make it more friendly to players.
I think it's based on a browser game that showed up a while ago. It was taken down by nintendo and so, the creator had to change the name and the sprites. I think you can still find it online. I'm not sure.

Back