My thoughts on The Umbrella Academy Season 2

• Thread starter Sunny_Meows
  • Start date
Sunny_Meows

Sunny_Meows

I like to what I want to do
Towns Folk
As many of you may know (or not, Idk) I've been heavily anticipating The Umbrella Academy Season 2, and for good reason. The Umbrella Academy Season 1 is one of my favorite seasons in all of television. Ever. So it makes sense that I would at the very least write something about it

SPOILERS AHEAD obviously

About the story.
We're still focusing on the Hargreaves siblings, with all 7 of them having their own story lines. Although I do think that Five and Ben's storyline are a little short,with Five's overlapping with most of the cast and Ben's only for a few scenes per every other episode. After the events of Season 1, they travel to Dallas, Texas in the 1960s, which instantly made me think about a Kennedy storyline and his assassination and such. Luckily, this setting is limited only to Diego's storyline and the role of trigger of the apocalypse. So as usual, they try to save the world, all the while the Temps Commission hunts them down. This time, it's not just Five they're hunting down, but all of them. We're introduced to the Swedes, they're triplets and this season's commission assasins. They have an interesting storyline about brotherhood and such. Cute. This season also gives us a brief look at the innerworkings of the commission, and I really like La Resistance. As well as briefcase man from the seminar. I still think season 1's story is better, as there aren't any big twists this season, especially when compared to season one's twists. The ending was very trippy as well.

About Music and choreography.
Since The Umbrella Academy is a superhero TV series, there's cool fight scenes and cool music to go along with it. I must admit, the choreography and music of the scenes are really good, my favorites being the Backstreet Boys one, the Bad Guy one, and the Polk Salad Annie one (which might be a little disturbing) and the opening scene. Definitely better than season one's choreography I think, but I'm not really a fan of 60s era music that much, so I personally think that season 1's music is a lot better.

Loose Ends and plot holes?

The Umbrella Academy Season 2 does a fantastic job of tying up loose ends and (somehow) making sense of time travel. When Reginald said "try traveling in seconds, not decades" it was very predictable that Five would time travel for a few seconds at least once. They also made a big fuss about keeping the time line intact by forcing old Five (or younger Five) into a vortex all the way back to season 1 episode 1. But the ending throws all that logic out of the window. Like, what happened? The only reasonable answer I can think of is an alternate time line affected by the Umbrella Academy's meeting with Sir Reginald Hargreeves.

The jokes this season is definitely funnier than last season's jokes, and there's also a lot more jokes and a twice the number of uhhhh kiss scenes when compared to last season. I liked Eliott's character very much, and I think they could've done better with that. They only gave Elliot a quick backstory that doesn't really fit in with his personality I think, because he's a conspiracy theorist that believe in aliens from outer space (which is what Reggie is, basically, and those yellow things he sent out earlier on). I also definitely agree that 3 death scenes is enough for The Handler, like they should've just made two. They also improved Herb's character a lot, and I really like him now as acting chairperson. I also can't wait to see more of Lila and her mirror ability, which is so cool. Nothing new is going on with the family though. They're still the same as from season one. I definitely like Luther's character more now though. Other than that, there really isn't a lot left to talk about I think. I'm excited for season 3 already, and the sudden change of timelines. Will the Umbrella Academy cease to exist, like what Five explained before meeting his younger self? And what effect does it have on characters like Harold Jenkins and Agnes. I know that Harold's backstory revolves around the Umbrella Academy, now that they don't actually exist, will he target the sparrow academy? Does he still kill his dad? I don't know! And I want to find out. What do y'all think about it? I want to know!

Reactions: candymonster6567 and Mizunil
Spoiler Warning for those not caught up:
Just finished season two today! I feel like the beginning of both seasons are a little slow but then the last few episodes have a ton of content and explain many of the confusions.

The only thing that confused me was Reggie being an alien? That came out of nowhere and I hope they explain it in season 3.

Other then that I’m excited for season 3 they left us with multiple cliffhangers, Lila, Harlan still having powers, and of course the new Sparrow Academy timeline. I wonder if the new members are different versions of the old cast like Ben, or if it’s new characters with different abilities.

Spoiler Warning for those not caught up:
Just finished season two today! I feel like the beginning of both seasons are a little slow but then the last few episodes have a ton of content and explain many of the confusions.

The only thing that confused me was Reggie being an alien? That came out of nowhere and I hope they explain it in season 3.

Other then that I’m excited for season 3 they left us with multiple cliffhangers, Lila, Harlan still having powers, and of course the new Sparrow Academy timeline. I wonder if the new members are different versions of the old cast like Ben, or if it’s new characters with different abilities.
I mean, it was obvious that Reggie was an alien. Do you remember that one scene in season one where reggie visited D. S. Umbrella Manufacturing Co.? There were rockets ships and the jar reggie opened by the window sill, which I assume is the reason why the Academy kids were born in the first place (further evidenced by that scene where Vanya revives Harlan from drowning. Those lights immediately reminded me of the glow lights from the previously mentioned scene). I always thought Reggie was an alien, I mean how can he live that long? He didn't die from old age/heart failure in season one, it was revealed that he committed neck rope/toaster bath. He also knew that the apocalypse was coming somehow, and in the episode where they had a light supper, Five even asked him if he knew anything about time travel. There are A TON of red flags if you think about it.

The 43 hidden sparrows was a fun Easter egg and very challenging to find. I had to pause and rewind multiple times just to check if there was a sparrow in that frame or not. I was so disappointed when I couldn't find one whenever I paused it. I don't think the beggining was slow at all though, the fight scene at the intro and the montage near the start was jam packed full of explanations, intense scenes and witty dialogue imo. The storyline is a bit similar to season 1's but the action scenes and jokes are better. I'm still thinking about all the fuss about keeping the time line intact. Like, WILL THEY CEASE TO EXIST OR NOT. So I'm really excited for season 3

I haven’t watched season 2 yet, so I can’t speak on anything that’s been said here.

What I will say is that season 1 didn’t grab me like I wanted it to. I watched it all the way through because it was interesting, but I think I expected it to be better. I’m really hoping that when I get around to watching season 2 I’ll come around to liking Umbrella Academy more.

I haven’t watched season 2 yet, so I can’t speak on anything that’s been said here.

What I will say is that season 1 didn’t grab me like I wanted it to. I watched it all the way through because it was interesting, but I think I expected it to be better. I’m really hoping that when I get around to watching season 2 I’ll come around to liking Umbrella Academy more.
Season 2 is very good. Trust me

I watched this pretty much because the graphic novel it is based on was written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance, a band I loved and listened to lots , I started watching it not knowing anything about the story. It is very good series, I was not disappointed and I am very interested in what happens next. I do love a good time travel story.
I am currently rewatching season 1, after watching season 2 a few months ago. My favourite characters are Klaus, Ben, Diego, Vanya and Mr Hargreeves oh and Pogo. ok, maybe I don't have a favourite, I love them all.

Reactions: Sunny_Meows
I watched this pretty much because the graphic novel it is based on was written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance, a band I loved and listened to lots , I started watching it not knowing anything about the story. It is very good series, I was not disappointed and I am very interested in what happens next. I do love a good time travel story.
I am currently rewatching season 1, after watching season 2 a few months ago. My favourite characters are Klaus, Ben, Diego, Vanya and Mr Hargreeves oh and Pogo. ok, maybe I don't have a favourite, I love them all.
My favorites are Five and Klaus :eyes:

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78
Back