Next-Gen Consoles: How Do You Feel About The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X or S?

• Thread starter Alex.Dips
  • Start date
Alex.Dips

Alex.Dips

Pokemon Trainer
Towns Folk
Has anyone made the plunge into the next generation of gaming yet? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Sony and Microsoft's latest consoles, the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X and S.

Here are a few questions to get the thread going:

Do you have a favourite new feature?
What's your favourite game?
Do you miss anything about the older consoles?
Would you recommend them to people as they are right now, or do you think they should wait until more games are available?

If there's anything else you want to say, feel free! :D

Reactions: Gram and Deepak
I want a ps5 so bad. I won`t be able to get one for a while since they cost so much.

Reactions: Alex.Dips
I pretty much use my PS5 everyday n I'm enjoying it so far. The games looks fantastic and runs smoothly on 4k 60fps and supports HDR. I haven't had an issues with it besides the storage, I'm getting an SSD to help with it but won't fully fix it due to u can't put PS5 games in it.

The feature that I enjoyed the most r the adaptive triggers. I totally thought it was just a gimmick but it actually feels nice, while it's feeling like ur shooting webs, making it feel like a revolver trigger, or slowly getting harder to push as ur lazer is overheating, I have a blast with it.

I don't have a favorite game so far but if I have to pick one it would be Demon's Souls. It's my first time playing the game and it looks n sounds amazing.

Honestly what I miss the most from the PS4 is how fast u can shut down the system. I'm used to just holding down the ps button then shuting it from there but on the PS5 u have to tap scroll past ur parties n achievements to get to the power options. It's not a huge big deal but just a bit annoying.

There's honestly not a lot of PS5 games to play rn but u can play almost every PS4 games so u won't be running out of games to play if ur worry about that. Some PS4 games r also getting graphical patches for the PS5 but not all games r confirmed to receive this treatment. I had a friend who thought all his PS4 games r gonna be 4k n loads in secs but that's not the case, so keep that in mind. While Demon's Souls or Miles Morales loads up area in 3-4 secs, not all PS4 games gonna loads as fast cause they're not optimized like those games, but they do load up faster. I can also confirm the PS4 games runs smoothly, for example I can run FFXIV in 4k and runs 60fps without no drops (the graphics r set to PS4 pro, no PS5 version is out yet) n I load up area about the same as my buds with their high end computers.

After all that I would recommend to wait if u don't have a 4k TV or don't have any games ur really interested in. Also to note Sony said they're gonna look for a way to help with the storage issue later on. I'm starting to run out of games to play cause I'm not interested in most PS5 games rn, and I rather wait till some PS4 games have the patches so I can start playing them. Just remember there's no rush in getting PS5 n pls don't support scalpers.

Reactions: Alex.Dips and Gram
I got a PlayStation 5 on release day. I’ve always waited years after launch to get new consoles, but this one was backwards compatible, so I went for it.

Do you have a favourite new feature?

The Dual Sense controller is the best controller I’ve ever had. Astro’s Playroom, the free game installed on new PS5s, shows off all of the awesome features the controller has. Adaptive triggers are a game-changer. Feeling tension in the trigger as you shoot a gun is a kind of immersion I’ve never experienced before. The applications for it in future games are exciting to think about. The haptic feedback is fantastic as well. Little taps as rain falls on your umbrella, the groaning of a spring as you coil for a jump, it’s all very cool.

What's your favourite game?

Well, as of right now I only have one PS5 game, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. It’s very pretty, with great lighting effects, smooth movements, and a ton of draw distance so you really get to take in vistas. Worthy of note is the game loading from the PS5 home screen to actual gameplay in under 30 seconds, which is really great. Even the PS4 games I’ve tried out are noticeably smoother and much faster to load, and since I have a sizeable PS4 backlog, there will be no shortage of games for me to play on it for quite some time. You really feel like you’re playing the best version of every PS4 game you play on it, so it’s worth loading up an old game for a new playthrough too.

Do you miss anything about the older consoles?

I miss being able to customize the home screen background and icons with themes. As of right now, there is no option for it. Every icon on your navigation bar changes the background to match the game or app you’re selecting, something the PS4 does too if you press down on the analog stick. Now it’s default, so I guess they’re prioritizing that, which was a dumb change to make.

Would you recommend them to people as they are right now, or do you think they should wait until more games are available?

If they were readily available at the retail price, I would say to consider buying one, especially if you have recently been in the market for a PS4 Pro or have a good amount of PS4 games in your backlog (which was my case). However, with how desperate scalpers are getting with cornering the market on all supply, it just isn’t worth the hassle right now. Focusing so much of the sales on online instead of physical stores is also exacerbating the issue as well. With any luck, retailers will do the impossible, perhaps improbable, and put anti-bot measures in place. Walmart’s restock went OOS in 3 seconds yesterday. That seems pretty easy to weed out humanly-impossible purchases made within that window of time, but as of yet they seem content as long as they are getting money.

A nice 4K TV will also help if you really want to see what this generation has to offer, though the fantastic load times of both PS5 and PS4 games, as well as the really cool Dual Sense features will be evident regardless of what kind of TV or monitor you use. Either way though, if you’re chomping at the bit for a PS5, I’d suggest just sitting tight for a few months to see if the supply situation improves. The holiday season is already stressful enough.

Reactions: ChewyPucc and Alex.Dips
Wow! Thank you so much for your thorough replies, they gave me a lot of insight (and I’m sure it helped a lot of people who are considering getting one, too!) I usually wait a couple of years before buying the consoles, too, but I guess I just got caught up in the hype! You’re spot-on about games still needing to be patched and polished, so that’s definitely another reason to wait... aside from it being completely out of stock! :p

The DualSense controller sounds like a game-changer, and you’re both right about the tv — mine isn’t 4K, so I wouldn’t be experiencing it in its full glory.

Interesting that you have to scroll so much before they even give you the option of shutting it down! Maybe they’re hoping you change your mind? :p

I was also wondering if bots had anything to do with how fast they’re going out of stock. I’d never scalp. I’ve see them going for almost $2,000 CAD online, and I think it’s really sad. So many people wanted to preorder a PS5 because they’re passionate about gaming, so to think that some of these consoles went to people who just marked up the price and resold them is kind of upsetting.

Reactions: Gram and ChewyPucc
I don't think that I will like the DualSense controller due to it being less clicky

I need it to be tactile, and according to a review done by Hisokeee, it's not that clicky... and I NEED the clicky. I think the features look amazing, but honestly I think it's a waste of time until the PS4 becomes obsolete, then I will buy the PS5. In fact, I'll probably buy it refurbished and be fine with it. It's not a big deal to me right now, and I don't think the PS5 is something that I really need (my TV can only do 1080p, No HDR, 60hz max)

Reactions: Alex.Dips
Back