RMT / Team Help Ninjask team help?

• Thread starter 24460
  • Start date

Professional Profile Stalker
Towns Folk
Can anyone recommend some good sweepers (with stats) that would work well with a speed boost Ninjask?
Here is the Ninjask:
wp_ss_20160529_0001.png

Your team falls to the Baton Pass Clause already:

A new Baton Pass clause is implemented to the ORAS Singles formats for the standard Smogon ORAS tiers (OU, UU, RU, NU). This clause disallows the use of Baton Pass on a Pokemon while also using a move that boosts Speed and a move that boosts another stat, with various exceptions included.

You also shouldn't run two Ninjasks on the same team, not only is it not allowed but it seems pretty useless.

1. That was a screenshot I found off YouTube
2. I'm planning this for xy, not oras. Does it still apply?

Well considering that comp battles follow the latest Smogon rules (After ORAS), you can't run it either way :/

If you are playing a unofficial set of rules (like Smogon or PO) your set is not allowed,if you are just playing PSS battles in the 3DS, there is no problem

1.- I recognize that video... is from Verlisify... I'm going to give you a tip... avoid him at all cost!!!
Is not only that he is really bad... but he keeps attacking other poketubers nad abusing the youtube system to gain more fame
And his strategies are not that good... they are either so standard that you can find them anywhere and he just copy-pasted them... or completely awful (like the Heavy Slam Wailord)

2.- First, batton pass is not really reliable, unless you make your complete team to work with it, it can be stopped fairly easily if the opponent know what you are doing, with Pokémon like Celebi or Gliscor, you can catch them by surprise, but Ninjask is not only obvious, but is one of the worst batton passersout there

My first tip is change Ninjask for Scolipede

scolipede.gif

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 188 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Swords Dance/Iron Defense
- Protect
- Megahorn/Substitute
- Baton Pass

Scolipede is like Ninjask, but muuuuuuuuuuuuch better, better typing, better stats, better moves, better defenses, like... there is no reason to use Nnjask over Scolipede

As for an attacker to fit him... either make a full team based around Batton pass like this one (they are surprisingly good), and if you want just a single attacker to fit him... that is not really reliable, but if you want, you can pick ANYTHING, as long as it hits

@N, according to what you quoted from the rules, Ninjask IS allowed because it doesn't have a speed boosting move, only an attack boosting one coupled with Speed Boost which is an ability!

@OmarJamal, while that set works pretty well if you know what you are doing, I have found Dig to work much better at practice, since in exchange for some power, you get the ability to hit Rock and Steel types and also net 2 Speed Boosts while taking only one hit! Also, it allows you to buy time in case you have been Taunted and wait until it wears off! Steel Wing can work too and occasionally give you a nice defense boost to button pass! As for good Pokemon to Batton Pass to, pretty much anything with good bulk to take that one hit during the switching turn is good, but I usually only use Ninjask as a Batton Passer when I'm using my Aggron or Steelix teams since they work exceptionally well after a good boost in speed and attack, and the also come with Sturdy as an ability which is pretty useful!

@Zukrad, I do admit that Scolipede is a great Batton Passer, but it's also a waste of an incredible Pokemon if you use the set you suggested! A much better set is to use offensive Scolipede with Rock Slide, Poison Jab, Earthquake and Protect / Swords Dance / Aqua Tail (with Assault Vest) with an Adamant nature and according EV spread as it'll be way more useful! Ninjask is the best Batton Passer because it does just that and after it does it's job, it's expendable and you can sacrifice it in order to create an opening! Also, it outspeeds every Choice Scarfed Pokemon there is at +1, unlike Scolipede!

Would a Mega Aggron work? I'd stop, could you recommend a set for it? Sorry for being so needy, I'm just starting to get into competitive Pokemon

@N, according to what you quoted from the rules, Ninjask IS allowed because it doesn't have a speed boosting move, only an attack boosting one coupled with Speed Boost which is an ability!

@OmarJamal, while that set works pretty well if you know what you are doing, I have found Dig to work much better at practice, since in exchange for some power, you get the ability to hit Rock and Steel types and also net 2 Speed Boosts while taking only one hit! Also, it allows you to buy time in case you have been Taunted and wait until it wears off! Steel Wing can work too and occasionally give you a nice defense boost to button pass! As for good Pokemon to Batton Pass to, pretty much anything with good bulk to take that one hit during the switching turn is good, but I usually only use Ninjask as a Batton Passer when I'm using my Aggron or Steelix teams since they work exceptionally well after a good boost in speed and attack, and the also come with Sturdy as an ability which is pretty useful!

@Zukrad, I do admit that Scolipede is a great Batton Passer, but it's also a waste of an incredible Pokemon if you use the set you suggested! A much better set is to use offensive Scolipede with Rock Slide, Poison Jab, Earthquake and Protect / Swords Dance / Aqua Tail (with Assault Vest) with an Adamant nature and according EV spread as it'll be way more useful! Ninjask is the best Batton Passer because it does just that and after it does it's job, it's expendable and you can sacrifice it in order to create an opening! Also, it outspeeds every Choice Scarfed Pokemon there is at +1, unlike Scolipede!

Yes I know, a suicidal lead, a t spikes user or a full out attacker are much better options for scolipede... but he was asking for a Batton pass set, thtas why I picked that set, because is based completely around batton pass.

Is not about the best Scolipede set... but the best batton pass user

The fact that it doesn't have a 4x weakness to rocks, is really bulky (giving him more chances to set up), not bad typing, more baton pass options, and even tho Scolipede is not as fast as Ninjask, it still has good speed to outspeed most, if not all of the common scarf users (the only common scarf user that can outspeed Scolipede is Latios... which you can fix by giving scolipede more speed... but I like my scolipede more defensive)

Also, defensive scolipede can baton pass against Talonflame after an Iron Defense, a common pokémon that gives trouble to Ninjask and BP teams in general

Also, Swords Dance + Speed Boost IS banned thanks to the Baton pass clause, you can baton pass:

Either any stat boost combination (except speed): You can have +6 attack, defense, spatak, spdef and accuracy and still use batton pass

Or baton pass speed: You can have +6 speed and baton pass

but you can't have speed + any type of other stat and baton pass

So you can

BP speed, as long as you baton pass only speed
BP any stat, as long as none of those stat is speed
Boosting any stat, speed and not speed, as long as you don't have baton pass in that Pokémon
boosting speed, and baton pass in a pokemon that can set up other stats
boosting stats, and baton pass in a Pokemon that can set up speed

That's why I recommended him to play PSS to use bp teams, since they don't have clauses other than species and item ones

Would a Mega Aggron work? I'd stop, could you recommend a set for it? Sorry for being so needy, I'm just starting to get into competitive Pokemon
I don't think so

Mega Aggron is REAAALY slow, so the speed boosts doesn't help that much

If you are just getting into competitve Pokémon, it is really hard to make a succesful team without much experience, I ussualy advice to watch Poketubers play (since they talk about why they do some plays, and what should or should not the opposing player do) like PokeAim (he has conquered the smogon top 10 ladder several times in all the tiers, and right now he is doing it again (He completed OU, UU, RU and now he is playing NU and Ubers)) 3mv33 (he ussualy makes teams with not so seen Pokémon in OU like Cacturne and Seviper, and he has several guides for begginer players) Thunderblunder777 (won the OU best player award in Smogon) MrJamvad (aka the dinosaur) etc...

Also, if you are getting into the competitive, I would reccomend you to check other people teams and use them (either the exact same team, or with some personal changes)

I always tell people to make their own teams, but if you are starting, it would be better to gain a lot of experience first by playing other teams and playstyles, and once you have enough knowledge, start building teams around your experience

ORAS OU sample teams
In this thread, different players submit their teams, so more novice players can get into competitive Pokémon more easily, by giving a short description of the team and how to use it

Once you have enough experience, and want to start to build your own teams, check these
Teambuilding guide
Viability ranking thread
Set Viability ranking thread
Good Cores
EVs spread compendium
Role compendium
Lures compendium
Creative and underrated sets
The underdog project

And, of course:

Battling 101 (A tutoring program with the best players)
Smogon players may have a bad reputation (and ussualy the low ladder increases this bad reputation), but they are actually really nice, specially the best players (like Joey for example)

If you want to start building a Baton pass team, I would recommend you to first look for other people's teams, see what they do in their team, and what can you do to improve yours, or play with their teams to see the flaws of their teams, to maybe even make them better

Reactions: Mr. Kream
Yes I know, a suicidal lead, a t spikes user or a full out attacker are much better options for scolipede... but he was asking for a Batton pass set, thtas why I picked that set, because is based completely around batton pass.

Is not about the best Scolipede set... but the best batton pass user

The fact that it doesn't have a 4x weakness to rocks, is really bulky (giving him more chances to set up), not bad typing, more baton pass options, and even tho Scolipede is not as fast as Ninjask, it still has good speed to outspeed most, if not all of the common scarf users (the only common scarf user that can outspeed Scolipede is Latios... which you can fix by giving scolipede more speed... but I like my scolipede more defensive)

Also, defensive scolipede can baton pass against Talonflame after an Iron Defense, a common pokémon that gives trouble to Ninjask and BP teams in general

Also, Swords Dance + Speed Boost IS banned thanks to the Baton pass clause, you can baton pass:

Either any stat boost combination (except speed): You can have +6 attack, defense, spatak, spdef and accuracy and still use batton pass

Or baton pass speed: You can have +6 speed and baton pass

but you can't have speed + any type of other stat and baton pass

So you can

BP speed, as long as you baton pass only speed
BP any stat, as long as none of those stat is speed
Boosting any stat, speed and not speed, as long as you don't have baton pass in that Pokémon
boosting speed, and baton pass in a pokemon that can set up other stats
boosting stats, and baton pass in a Pokemon that can set up speed

That's why I recommended him to play PSS to use bp teams, since they don't have clauses other than species and item ones

First off so we are clear, I'm gonna quote the same thing @N quoted, but I'll put the important part in bold so you can understand where the loophole is!
A new Baton Pass clause is implemented to the ORAS Singles formats for the standard Smogon ORAS tiers (OU, UU, RU, NU). This clause disallows the use of Baton Pass on a Pokemon while also using a move that boosts Speed and a move that boosts another stat, with various exceptions included.
That means you CAN use Speed Boost Batton Passers because the boost doesn't come from a move, but from the ability and you can still Batton Pass any number of stat increases from moves as long as none was in the speed stat!

Moving on, I don't know what you think is common, but saying that being outsped by things like Choice Scarfed Terrakion and anything Scarfed that has 105 or more base speed is ok, really messes up the whole point of having more chances to set up since you will be forced to take something that will almost certainly 1-Hit KO you! Also, typing doesn't matter since you will usually start with your Batton Passer, meaning you don't have to worry about things like Stealth Rock, which, unlike popular belief, is actually pretty uncommon! As for who the actual best Batton Passer is, just so we are clear, it's Blaziken, but unfortunately it's in Ubers!

I don't think so

Mega Aggron is REAAALY slow, so the speed boosts doesn't help that much

If you are just getting into competitve Pokémon, it is really hard to make a succesful team without much experience, I ussualy advice to watch Poketubers play (since they talk about why they do some plays, and what should or should not the opposing player do) like PokeAim (he has conquered the smogon top 10 ladder several times in all the tiers, and right now he is doing it again (He completed OU, UU, RU and now he is playing NU and Ubers)) 3mv33 (he ussualy makes teams with not so seen Pokémon in OU like Cacturne and Seviper, and he has several guides for begginer players) Thunderblunder777 (won the OU best player award in Smogon) MrJamvad (aka the dinosaur) etc...

Also, if you are getting into the competitive, I would reccomend you to check other people teams and use them (either the exact same team, or with some personal changes)

I always tell people to make their own teams, but if you are starting, it would be better to gain a lot of experience first by playing other teams and playstyles, and once you have enough knowledge, start building teams around your experience

ORAS OU sample teams
In this thread, different players submit their teams, so more novice players can get into competitive Pokémon more easily, by giving a short description of the team and how to use it

Once you have enough experience, and want to start to build your own teams, check these
Teambuilding guide
Viability ranking thread
Set Viability ranking thread
Good Cores
EVs spread compendium
Role compendium
Lures compendium
Creative and underrated sets
The underdog project

And, of course:

Battling 101 (A tutoring program with the best players)
Smogon players may have a bad reputation (and ussualy the low ladder increases this bad reputation), but they are actually really nice, specially the best players (like Joey for example)

If you want to start building a Baton pass team, I would recommend you to first look for other people's teams, see what they do in their team, and what can you do to improve yours, or play with their teams to see the flaws of their teams, to maybe even make them better
I don't know how you can turn down something like Mega Aggron so easily when it has insane bulk, amazing ability, great movepool and so on with only a relatively low speed and special defense! It's what I use as my mega in my main team and it can even take on things from the Uber tiers such as Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Mega Blaziken, Mega Lucario and so on 1-on-1! Sure, without EV investment it's speed may only be a mere 130, but after getting a +3 in speed or even a +2 it can outspeed a lot of things and 416 attack is no laughing matter! Also, by utilizing Dig on Ninjask it's incredibly easy to rack up speed boosts!

Finally, I agree that he should watch others to see battle styles, although he should be really picky about who to watch as 99% of the people making such videos literally suck and same goes for almost everyone on Smogon, so I advice simply watching the nationals/world championships as most of the matches on there are high level and very helpful!

Is because that description is wrong

6CD2E2B8B.png

Is not the moves, is the fact that it can pass both speead and other stat
It would be banned if it could pass an stat from a berry and speed, for example

The description is not that good, but it bans anything that can pass both speed and other stat, no matter how they got it (they only exception being acupressure and ancient power)

BD89F0E64.png

They need to update that description, is not the first time I see people confused about only being moves or anything that can pass stats, the clause in the site says is the former, when is actually the latter

Is because that description is wrong

6CD2E2B8B.png

Is not the moves, is the fact that it can pass both speead and other stat
It would be banned if it could pass an stat from a berry and speed, for example

The description is not that good, but it bans anything that can pass both speed and other stat, no matter how they got it (they only exception being acupressure and ancient power)

BD89F0E64.png

They need to update that description, is not the first time I see people confused about only being moves or anything that can pass stats, the clause in the site says is the former, when is actually the latter
Thanks for clarifying then! I read about Ancient Power and Acupressure, but thanks for verifying!

Back