• Thread starter MMMs
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
MMMs

MMMs

After 2 years, I'm Back!
Towns Folk
After reading a few articles myself about Nintendo and DLC, it got me thinking, why doesn't Nintendo like DLC? Yeah, sure you get more content but in Nintendo's perspective, DLC pretty means that the game isn't complete or in their case imperfect. Nintendo strives perfection in games. To make sure they're perfect, Nintendo releases patches for games that has imperfection and, as it states, "patch" up the problem. DLC can make floodgates open for Nintendo but what Nintendo want to prevent is giving their customers "half-baked" content like many 3rd party games out there. In a customer's perspective, DLC is a way for a game to "enhance" or "refreshing" it a little to make them play the game more often. Heck, Nintendo will even give a "Free" Mewtwo DLC in Smash 4 if you buy both games lol Its not really free if you have to buy another copy of the game. But its Smash so its ok to double dip lol I can name a few games that Nintendo offers DLC like Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Ace Attorney 5, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter Series, Resident Evil Revelations WiiU, and I guess there are more but I think you get the picture lol

What do you think? Should Nintendo start putting up more DLC content in the future than they're offering now?

Reactions: kikoola
Definitely.

You know what I'd love to see? Map packs for the Pokemon games. I'd happily pay another 15-18 bucks for the chance to travel through another region and do the badge quest/elite four challenge over again but at a higher difficulty.

My favorite games in the Pokemon series are the gen 2 editions for a reason, I loved having the chance of going back to Kanto. e_e

And another thing, when Nintendo do dlcs they do them very well. The Mario Kart 8 dlc is well worth the 12 bucks.

Reactions: MMMs
Definitely.

You know what I'd love to see? Map packs for the Pokemon games. I'd happily pay another 15-18 bucks for the chance to travel through another region and do the badge quest/elite four challenge over again but at a higher difficulty.

As much as I love seeing that happen, it wont >.> lol
As you can see, Game Freak won't be making a big game like you specified unless they're going to literally end the game with it lol

The map packs are nice, but they're more suited for a game like Fire Emblem lol I should know, I bought DLC there already lol

I'm racther anti-DLC myself, especially the paid type. When I buy a game I buy it under the expectations that it's complete and isn't of need of any patches. DLC provides the ability of shipping out half finished buggy products, like Assassin's Creed Unity, with promises of patching it up later. Free DLC I'll take somewhat grudgingly but paid DLC annoys me

Reactions: MMMs
Well Smash Bros fans, it seems that Sakurai has confirmed that there wont be any DLC for Smash Bros. He said Mewtwo was an experiment or a service or something, but thats all the DLC we'll be seeing for the while. Well, this personally kinda disappoints me (I wanted an Inkling .-.) but according to the Smash Bros Director, making characters takes a lot of time and effort.

I'm on the side of Ashkill. I have have to buy extra things for games. I rather have to do some quests or completing it 100% to get extra stuff, not by buying it.

I enjoy paid DLC if the game is complete by itself. Fantasy Life is a good example, the game by itself is pretty complete, the added DLC is really Bonus. I hope to see more like this in the future.

By the way, DLC =/= Patch. These are totally different, and DLC doesn't allow to ship a bugged game. You can ship a bugged game without DLC, and you can ship a perfect game with DLC, it's not related at all.

I think Nintendo is tackling DLC in a very good manner so far. I actually agree with the mentality of polishing the game and releasing it only when it is finished. I think that is how it should work. DLC are extras, not something that should have been part of the core of the game, or something already in your game that you have to pay to unblock.

Before the DLC craze, you unlocked things and it was very exciting and satisfying, because it was by your own hand and effort you'd get things. It is probably something I love in smash series, the whooping sound of a new challenger, the clues to unblock more trophy challenges, etc.

Not long ago I read about a DLC that would unlock the things for you for a nice amount of money. While unlocking has always been something to brag about, in the past the dedication was shown through effort. You spent those crazy hours and stunts to get them. Now the brag is just the trophy and a way to say yeah, I had enough money to buy the DLC that does for me.

Heck, some DLC are more expensive that the game itself. Wow.

Nintendo meanwhile is bringing something new, and like never before has been risking in crossovers.
Zelda y Yoshi with Sonic, Zelda and Mario Bros. with Monster Hunter, etc.

But lets talk about MK8, the 1st package was less than or around 10 dollars. We got two full new cups. We got polished tracks with things calling from each franchise it represented. The F-Zero track had the healing bars, the Zelda one had rupees and even some fan-fares were changed for the Zelda version. Seeing the Master Sword and some classic Zelda enemies like deku babas and keeses... it is gorgeous and you can see they really tried to bring you something unique and top-notch. There were a few remakes but they tried to keep them up to standard and with the new tracks, it was honestly a fair go. Then you have three characters. If you ignore Mario and Peach getting to play as Link is itself worth the 10 bucks, yet they gave so much and another package is coming with 2 Animal Crossing drivers. See, they could have easily charged double or even triple because they know we will eat it up, yet they keep their DLC simple and optional things. You don't want to "taint" your MK with other franchises, you can pass from download it.

So yeah, I am okay with DLC so long it is not a scapegoat to bring games in tighter deadlines by resorting to add the content they intended through DLC, which if you don't get you miss an important chunk to make sense of it or you can't even finish the game without it. So far, I think Nintendo is of the few with the right mentality towards this.

Video Games are now a formula, like movies, because it is all about the business. Not time to take risks. Why make the people wait for two years, lets do it yearly. Game no complete? No problem. They will still pre-order it and then we just patch it up. Still, let's release the Downloadable Content so people can still give us extra money even if they don't even have yet the final product. It is grating, so please Nintendo, don't change that ideal of bringing games that aren't complete and thank you for opening up more with the idea of what some of us have been dreaming about for years and now we have an option through extra content.

Reactions: Ehehehe and MMMs
Definitely think they should add more DLC but in some cases for some special DLC you may have to buy both games like the super smash bros one with mewtwo,so DLC is a way Nintendo can earn much money by selling more and make games more interesting and surprising and better.That is how they get a lot of money.

to me it is just fantastic that nintendo incorporates this trend of the dlc, in a way it gives life to the game by having new content, another story, new characters, new stages, new circuits. I think it is just fine that nintendo does this, it gives a sense of freshness to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back