Nintendo Announces "Nintendo Figurine Platform"

• Thread starter BjFauble
  • Start date
BjFauble

BjFauble

Fighting in a Sack
Banned User
During it's investor briefing, Nintendo gave us more information about their NFC games that they touched on a little earlier this year - here's the details.

• Nintendo launching figurine business called NFP (NFC featured platform)
  • They showed this Mario figure across many games being used including saves
  • NFP game and figures will be shown at this year's E3 (previously announced)
  • Nintendo 3DS will also get IR NFP reader, so figures can be used across Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo 3DS will not happen until the first half of 2015 however.
  • Nintendo would rather make not just a figurine, so it does more
  • They hope to show related games in development at E3

I actually really like the looks of this model. Being able to buy one figure and use it on multiple games could be interesting, especially if the figures will be used between 3DS/WiiU. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I was now gonna post this, and to be honest, I'm just surprised. I really really hate Skylanders, and games that make you pay for additional content, I for sure won't buy any figurines, much less pay money for more characters, it's kinda hard because when you live in places like these, you can never find items like these in stock, I really hope Nintendo doesn't push this down our throats, and make it the "next big thing". But who knows, maybe after this year's E3 I'd be interested to throw more money at Nintendo. :unsure:

image.jpg
33_1.jpg
35l.jpg
34l_1.jpg

Just like @Reece, I hate the system of buying a figurine to get data that's already on the disk/cartridge. But, maybe they'll not make that much figurines, compared to Activi$ion. However, this can also be a bad move for Nintendo, because it may dissuade players to buy the games.

I'll be waiting the E3 to know more about it, but I guess that for me, it'll be no, because generally, figurines are too expensive, and I hate paying for content that I already paid for.

I also don't like the idea that skylander has, it is just like a dlc but now you got a real figure. i thnk nintendo will have a promotion like ''buy a wii u and get a figure for free !''

Yep. They couldn't have the feature on the Wii U Gamepad and not take advantage of it. I think if the figures are used in enough games (like say a special Smash Bros trophy and then a platformer and then a spin-off/cameo appearance) it would be neat (I'm looking at you Itoi) for you to find all the neat easter eggs and other hidden data to squeeze a little more fun into the game (it's like DLC only a physical form of it) but it's gimmicky and it's an excuse used to take people's money. Skylanders might give everything a bad reputation but it's how much you're getting out of it (the feature). It wouldn't hurt if the character was like an action figure that detaches from the base while the base has all the data but for prices sake most likely not. But it looks more stylish than an SD card when moving data from one console to another so... :meh: we'll see.

The issue I have with games like Skylanders and Disney Infinity, is that they are basically DLC models, but at a much higher price. When you consider how little the toys unlock in the grand scheme of things, the expense quickly skyrockets. Most Disney Infinity models are around £10-15 each, though my local supermarket has a 2 for £20 deal going on. It's definitely too expensive for me to buy into it, no matter how interesting the games seem. I refuse to buy what is basically half a game.

This NFP, like Skylanders and Infinity, appear to be targeted towards parents with more money than sense.

I also don't like the idea that skylander has, it is just like a dlc but now you got a real figure. i thnk nintendo will have a promotion like ''buy a wii u and get a figure for free !''

yeah, I think Nintendo could do without trying to 'copy' as it where. xD

I personally don't like Skylanders (you need the money for figures and content) and it's kind of pointless to use figures for gaming. I guess they're trying to make it more realistic. Money making scheme much? I don't like that Nintendo are going in a similar direction...

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Back