Nintendo gets a patent for Phantom Hourglass?

• Thread starter Jisenku
  • Start date
J

Jisenku

I have an obsession with Tesla >.<
Towns Folk
Nintendo has just gotten a patent on the Phantom Hourglass in Australia, and since we know that the 35th anniversary is coming up extremely soon, this might be something amazing for any Zelda fan. This patent could mean anything for the Phantom Hourglass, a remaster, merch, or possibly nothing. What do you think is going to happen?

Reactions: Dark Link, Mizunil and Deepak
Well zelda anniversary is coming up on Feb 21. And we haven't gotten a phantom hourglass remake yet. So.....this seems pretty likely. When I had a ds, I wasn't interested in zelda at all and now I regret not trying out the 2 ds zelda games (the other being spirit tracks). Hopefully this is an actual HD remake unlike 3d all stars. It would be cool if this was one of the games in the possible "3d zelda collection".

Reactions: Mizunil and Jisenku
Hopefully this is an actual HD remake unlike 3d all stars.
I hope so :eyes: another bundle (or even just separately) it would be cool to have more Zelda games on the switch, and I've never played Phantom Hourglass so its a cool concept.

Random unlikely theory, but Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks are a trio right? Its unlikely, but that would be a cool bundle where its like 3d All stars but all the games are part of the same series.

Edit: Phantom or Spirit, one of them (or both idk) use styluses a lot, so the controls would have to be heavily reworked I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepak and Jisenku
Maybe it will get the Link's Awakening treatment?

Reactions: Mizunil and Jisenku
I don't personally think this means anything. I'm surprised they didn't already have a patent for it yet, the game isn't exactly new and I would think Nintendo wouldn't want anyone to rip off their game or the title of their game.

Reactions: Agentperson and Jisenku
I don't personally think this means anything. I'm surprised they didn't already have a patent for it yet, the game isn't exactly new and I would think Nintendo wouldn't want anyone to rip off their game or the title of their game.
OK so you have to file proof that the trademark is still in use, but since Phantom Hourglass hasn't been used for a while (was released in 2007) there is a possibility that the Phantom Hourglass did have a trademark but it expired.

Last edited:
OK so you have to file proof that the trademark is still in use, but since Phantom Hourglass hasn't been used for a while (was released in 2017) there is a possibility that the Phantom Hourglass did have a trademark but it expired.
Phantom hourglass is on Virtual console so maybe it was just used for that. Since people can still buy the game it is still in use maybe? It's hard to say but 4 years ago isn't super long ago and since it's still available technically that could count I think. Whenever we have these patents I'm always skeptical. Pokemon Gray never happened, Pokemon Z never happened, Pokemon Stars never happened, Mega Charizard Z never happened... Even a few years ago Nintendo patented "Entei" but as far as I know, no new products or games involving Entei has occurred since then.

Reactions: Jisenku
Phantom hourglass is on Virtual console so maybe it was just used for that. Since people can still buy the game it is still in use maybe? It's hard to say but 4 years ago isn't super long ago and since it's still available technically that could count I think. Whenever we have these patents I'm always skeptical. Pokemon Gray never happened, Pokemon Z never happened, Pokemon Stars never happened, Mega Charizard Z never happened... Even a few years ago Nintendo patented "Entei" but as far as I know, no new products or games involving Entei has occurred since then.
uh i meant 2007 not 2017 my typing sucks... but yea

Reactions: Duffy
uh i meant 2007 not 2017 my typing sucks... but yea
Same thing haha

Same thing haha
Not really, because trademarks need to be verified every 10 years to make sure that they are still being used, and since Phantom Hourglass isn't a series they used for long, the trademarks could have expired, so them doing it again could mean a new game. Plus, Phantom Hourglass still has COPYRIGHT, Trademarks are important because it signifies them doing something with the series, and it isn't just to protect their work, that's what Copyright is for.

Reactions: Duffy
Perhaps another free game like they did on DSiware/3DS eShop. Maybe a port of that one could be likely. I don't have many high hopes though since it's only been 10 years. They are probably working on a remaster with new controls since their other big Zelda games have released.

Perhaps another free game like they did on DSiware/3DS eShop. Maybe a port of that one could be likely. I don't have many high hopes though since it's only been 10 years. They are probably working on a remaster with new controls since their other big Zelda games have released.
If they do a free game, I don't think it's gonna be any of the 3d zelda games. Those can be sold for lots of profit. They would either give us a gameboy game or else a brand new zelda spinoff (like Super mario 35 for mario's 35th anniversary).

Reactions: LittlegiantRobo
Back