Nintendo Hardware Sales from the Last Three Generations

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

Companies big and small, are publishing their latest financial results regarding their sales overall, these are Nintendo's hardware sales from the last three generations.

Game Boy Advance Hardware Sales

Japan — 16.96 million units (20.8%)
The Americas — 41.64 million units (51.1%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 22.91 million units (28.1%)
Overall — 81.51 million units

DS Hardware Sales
Japan — 32.99 million units (21.4%)
The Americas — 59.93 million units (38.9%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 61.07 million units (39.7%)
Overall — 153.99 million units

3DS Hardware Sales
Japan — 15.89 million units (36.7%)
The Americas — 14.58 million units (33.6%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 12.85 million units (29.7%)
Overall — 43.33 million units

GameCube Hardware Sales
Japan — 4.04 million units (18.6%)
The Americas — 12.94 million units (59.5%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 4.77 million units (21.9%)
Overall — 21.74 million units

Wii Hardware Sales
Japan — 12.75 million units (12.6%)
The Americas — 48.46 million units (48%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 39.85 million units (39.4%)
Overall — 101.06 million units

Wii U Hardware Sales
Japan — 1.81 million units (29.3%)
The Americas — 2.81 million units (45.5%)
Other (Europe / PAL) — 1.56 million units (25.2%)
Overall — 6.17 million units

What do you think, is Nintendo going through a downward spiral with home console sales, or will it get better later on, and are you satisfied with the portable hardware sales? I know I am!

I hope MK8 will help the Wii U. Nintendo is doing everything they can do to make it sell (adds, free game :p). But I heard that home consoles aren't selling good anymore in Japan because of smartphones... That's why I would like to know more about that Nintendo smarthpone rumour :hungry:. The 3ds sales are good, but are getting slower and slower... :meh:

I hope MK8 will help the Wii U. Nintendo is doing everything they can do to make it sell (adds, free game :p). But I heard that home consoles aren't selling good anymore in Japan because of smartphones... That's why I would like to know more about that Nintendo smarthpone rumour :hungry:. The 3ds sales are good, but are getting slower and slower... :meh:

Ads? I haven't seen a single advertisement for the Wii U specifically since it launched.

About home consoles, I think that they should give up/minimize in Japan. Japan's more a handheld gaming market than a home console one. As for America/Europe, at least, it can continue, but they get blinded by Sony and Microsoft (not totally by the last one though).

Also, it's good to see that the 3DS sold that much units since its launch ! Maybe it'll beat the Wii about sales ! Or even the PS2 !

I think people need to wake up if they think smartphone games are better then Game consoles, I mean games was made for a controller, smartphones don't have those unless you pay more money to get one. I would rather own a console and get a controller with it instead of buy a smartphone for more then the Wii U, then have to pay more for a controller.

Ads? I haven't seen a single advertisement for the Wii U specifically since it launched.
I saw a lot actually lately, especially around the Christmas time, probably the channels you view, they were always on Cartoon Network and Disney Channel.
I think at the end of this year, the Wii U, will boost tremendously in sales. Of course games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 would be best-sellers, but after this year's Nintendo presentation at E3, the're will be titles (hopefully) lining up, to raise sales even more.

I think people need to wake up if they think smartphone games are better then Game consoles, I mean games was made for a controller, smartphones don't have those unless you pay more money to get one. I would rather own a console and get a controller with it instead of buy a smartphone for more then the Wii U, then have to pay more for a controller.
It depends on the type of game you enjoy. A lot of smartphone gaming happens initially due to its ease of use, and the fact it's already integrated into a device people already own. I don't think anybody buys a cellphone purely as a substitute for a games console; they buy it for the cellphone/social media aspects, and then there's an app store with a ton of games available to boot. You just have to look at games like Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga or Flappy Bird. They're certainly no Final Fantasy, but they're simple games that have that 'one more try' mechanic installed into them that plays on the addictive side to people's personalities. Plus, you have to account for monetary worth. Would you buy any of those games for full retail price on a home console? I would not. Would I pick them up for a buck on the app store to pass five minutes when I'm waiting for a bus? Sure.

Additionally, not all games were made for controllers. I still remember old MS-DOS games that were designed solely around the arrow keys. Target audience, as well as target systems, all matter for what games cater to.

-

I honestly don't think the Wii U will reach the sales numbers of its predecessors. The lack of support early on in its life hit hard, and now a lot of people (myself included) are skeptical and extremely wary of buying into a console that appears to be inferior to both its past iterations, as well as the consoles it's supposed to be competing against. Nintendo have never been top dog in the graphics department, but they're currently working at approximately one generation behind, and I think that in itself puts off potential new customers who look at the things the Wii U can do, then look at the PS4 and Xbox One and get blown away by the visual differences. The Wii U library as well, is something that concerns me. A lot of the games they originally showcased as being the 'big dogs' of the system were in fact games that existed on other consoles. Mass Effect 3, Batman: Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden 3, Darksiders 2. All games of a considerable age prior to coming to the Wii U.

This is especially apparent when you remember that Satoru Iwata stated that 'hardcore gamers will accept the Wii U as a hardcore console' as opposed to Nintendo's common reputation of catering towards younger gamers and families. So, they wanted to poach gamers who were previously Sony and/or Microsoft fans, and evidently failed to do so.

Unless they pull something really special out of their hats, the Wii U will remain a flop. It's sad, but it's true.

"Nintendo UK has revealed to MCV that their flagship Wii U title Mario Kart 8 will have a year-long marketing campaign. The first step is a social media programme which is designed to get gamers nostalgic about classic Mario Kart games. This will then lead up to a full-blown online and TV marketing campaign that will run till the end of the year."

Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager Roger Langford told MCV: “To herald the launch of the most hotly anticipated Wii U title to date we will have marketing activity pre-launch as well as post-launch moving through the summer and into peak season."

Found that on Nintendo news sites :)

"Nintendo UK has revealed to MCV that their flagship Wii U title Mario Kart 8 will have a year-long marketing campaign. The first step is a social media programme which is designed to get gamers nostalgic about classic Mario Kart games. This will then lead up to a full-blown online and TV marketing campaign that will run till the end of the year."

Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager Roger Langford told MCV: “To herald the launch of the most hotly anticipated Wii U title to date we will have marketing activity pre-launch as well as post-launch moving through the summer and into peak season."

Found that on Nintendo news sites :)

I know about all of that stuff, I meant advertisements specifically for the Wii U console. They can't really advertise what the gamepad can do with a Mario Kart 8 commercial.

I know about all of that stuff, I meant advertisements specifically for the Wii U console. They can't really advertise what the gamepad can do with a Mario Kart 8 commercial.

I don't even know myself what the gamepad can do in Mario Kart 8! :confused:

I think the Nintendo handheld hardware sales are pretty satisfying, though these can be better. The home console on the other hand is going down in terms of sale. Maybe, MK8 and SSB4 can bring that up a bit.

I don't even know myself what the gamepad can do in Mario Kart 8! :confused:

It can be used for off tv play...and as a horn. Good thinking, Nintendo!

Reactions: Marc
MK8 and Smash will surely boost the Wii U sales. Those two are the most anticipated games atm. The DS did better in sales than the 3DS? that's a surprise. xD

MK8 and Smash will surely boost the Wii U sales. Those two are the most anticipated games atm. The DS did better in sales than the 3DS? that's a surprise. xD
Don't forget the 3DS was a failure until its price drop, while the DS was accepted with love and compassion.

They will for sure, don't forget to mention the new Zelda game, which I think will be announced to release this year, Nintendo is going to dominate E3, I just know it, with games like Bayonetta 2, X, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Yarn, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda U, and the new NFC figures, I think this year is gonna be the best the Wii U ever saw.

Back