Nintendo may adopt the "Cross-Buy" feature !

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Hi everybody,

Nintendo announced that they'll maybe support the Cross-Buy feature. They'll try it with Squids Odyssey, meaning, that if you buy the game on 3DS, you'll get a download code for the WiiU version of the game.

/!\ NOTICE (Allow me, @Marc, so nobody won't do any mistakes): If YOU BUY THE GAME ON WIIU, YOU WON'T GET THE CODE FOR THE 3DS VERSION OF THE GAME /!\

Nintendo said this feature is experimental, but it might be adopted soon. Also, in order to get the extra code, your two consoles must use the same Nintendo Network ID.

I think it's a great feature, and I hope that Nintendo will apply it to first-party games as well as third-party ones, but I don't expect SSB4 to have such feature...

So, what are you opinions about it ? Yay or Nay ?

I think it's cool that Nintendo will try this idea out. Maybe if it works out they will do it with games on the eshop!

I think it's cool that Nintendo will try this idea out. Maybe if it works out they will do it with games on the eshop!

It's what they are planning to do if they adopt it. Except that the game must be present on the both consoles' eShop.

There's shovel knight, another world, and 1001 spikes, there both on the 3ds and wii u eshop.

There's shovel knight, another world, and 1001 spikes, there both on the 3ds and wii u eshop.

Yeah, and those are just games from June. There are plenty more already out/coming in the near future.

I read somewhere online that Shigeru Miyamoto said they're experimenting with it, so...

It's cool. The cross-buy feature should come to Nintendo systems in its entirety, it would benefit customers. It might look like it'll affect developers and publishers, but really, how many people buy the same game twice? It would increase sales IMO, because the people going, "Should I buy the 3DS or Wii U version? I'd better not buy it at all," would buy the games too. After all, if they're giving download codes for the other version then the cost of physical media doesn't apply :D

Reactions: D4rkDragon and Reece
It's a "YAY" for me!! I think because the 3DS has such a large install-base, it would definitely (in some way) boost the sales of Wii U consoles. Sony does it with the PS Vita and PS3/PS4, right? So why can't Nintendo, it's a big "YES" for me. If I enjoyed Shovel Knight on my Wii U, and I wanna get the portable version, why should I buy the same game twice? Overall, I think everyone that owns a Nintendo console would be benefited in some way. Imagine GBA VC Crossbuy between 3DS and Wii U

Reactions: D4rkDragon
This cool and all, but i wish they would have done this first with the viurtal console games.
Oh and having the games tied to the account and not the console would be cool too.

I hope the save files are saved between consoles or the entire system of cross buy is useless to me. Cause getting Really far on your wii u version, then having to start over on your 3ds version would suck.

I hope the save files are saved between consoles or the entire system of cross buy is useless to me. Cause getting Really far on your wii u version, then having to start over on your 3ds version would suck.

Well, it would depend on the game. Because if you take a look at some games during the Wii/DS era, there was some games on the DS that were (for example) party-games, while the Wii version was a platformer, for example. In that case, it's normal not to have cross-saving features.
And another point. Let's take the example of SSB4. There's content that is console-exclusive (assist trophies, stages, etc.), so in that case, the cross-saving feature is also nullified, since the WiiU lacks the data the 3DS has, and vice-versa.

So, it may happen for some games, but not for all.

This is cool i love it

A lot of people have been requesting that Nintendo truly unify both 3DS and Wii U accounts until they are hugging each other. This feature has merit and makes sense although I would think it would be the other way around. The total value is 40 + 60 = 100 dollars, so to maximize profit you would probably only offer the deal for a customer who bought the Wii U version. We'll see if this feature sees some more usage with other games, but I think it will probably only be fore small indie games.

This should already be present with VC games at the very least so 3DS and Wii U accounts are tied by your Nintendo Network ID. Then you can manage your eShop/VC games on the internet and buy more. But this IS a good step towards it.

I think this feature is neat and it has advantages. I'm just curious to see how it goes since it sounds a little confusing to have two codes (Perhaps it's an assurance thing in case one code has gotten lost :confused: or something so you use the other device to get it?). According to what Reece said Sony is doing it so I guess Nintendo should too.

Back